NRA Life Membership

Personal opinions of the org aside....

I just got a renewal membership offer and I noticed that the Life membership is being offered for $600 instead of $1000. Even though $600 is alot of money, I could do it and it would probably be worth it not to get renewals all the time in the damn mail/reminders from my club that I need to be a NRA member.

Wondering if I should just take the plunge and buy once, cry once.[thinking][hmmm]

$250 is probably the best deal offered to Lifetime NRA family member.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

I haven't gotten one renewal notice since I became a life member.

Me either, but renewal notices would be better than the "please send us $xx.xx for this gift we sent you or mail the gift back to us if you are not interested" letters.

Me either, but renewal notices would be better than the "please send us $xx.xx for this gift we sent you or mail the gift back to us if you are not interested" letters.

I am under the impression (from previous research many years ago) that any UN-solicited gift need not be returned. Ignore any letters requested payment or return.

If you ask to be removed from thier mailing list you will not get anything again.

Life Member almost twenty years and have not been bothered for the last fifteen, one call stops all the mail.

The only thing I get is the magazine.

The postmaster is suffering financial losses. These junk mail keep the mailmen busy and hopefully job security. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5.

wait, how do I get an NRA lifetime membership for $250/$300? Do I just call them up and try to bargain?

I've always thought that the purpose of membership in NRA (or GOA, or 2A foundation, GONH, etc.) is to send money to them so that they can hire more lawyers and lobbyists to promote the RKBA.
Membership isn't even necessary to support the cause.
With or without membership, a $1k donation probably goes a long way to keep up the fight for the 2A.

What's the point of getting a life membership for less money? To get a cool bumper sticker? To put "NRA Life Member" in the forum signature line? To garner as much 2A supporter's respect as someone else who paid the full $1k, at a fraction of the price? To get some pathetic discounts on car rentals and hotels?
I'm really failing to grasp.

What's the point of getting a life membership for less money? To get a cool bumper sticker? To put "NRA Life Member" in the forum signature line? To garner as much 2A supporter's respect as someone else who paid the full $1k, at a fraction of the price? To get some pathetic discounts on car rentals and hotels?

All of the above, except for the hotel discounts. (I don't stay at Super8.) You can actually get unlimited bumper stickers if you ask. The entire tailgate of my truck is covered with them, except for one that my kid got for being awesome at some bullshit public school.

I've always thought that the purpose of membership in NRA (or GOA, or 2A foundation, GONH, etc.) is to send money to them so that they can hire more lawyers and lobbyists to promote the RKBA.
Membership isn't even necessary to support the cause.
With or without membership, a $1k donation probably goes a long way to keep up the fight for the 2A.

I'm really failing to grasp.

Ummm....

I did fairly well in school and even I know that if you can get something for less, then you do it. I got an offer from a very well respected member on NES to obtain a NRA Life Membership for $300. I would much rather pay $300 than $600-1000 that they are offering in the current mailer.

The issue shouldn't be so much that I am somehow gypping them, but they are ROYALLY screwing me and others with the $600-1000 "deal".

I am choosing to support the NRA, however, I don't think they should play games with the amount of their membership. If a Life Membership is REALLY only $300...then ADVERTISE IT!

They can always make up higher levels of membership if they want.... Lahey Clinic does[rolleyes]

Last edited:
Do it. The magazine is worth the money. I became a life member over 20 years ago for $300; money well spent. Over the years I have made addtional contributions and am now an "Endowment Life" member.

There is nothing wrong in trying to get the best deal possible for your life membership. You can, and should, make additional contributions at a later date.

I find that renewal notices can be a PITA; local gun club renewal notices, that is. One of my clubs insists on proof of NRA membership with each annual renewall. These people obviously do not understand the meaning of "life". Once you establish yourself as an "NRA Life Member", you should not be required to prove it every year thereafter.

Ummm....

I did fairly well in school and even I know that if you can get something for less, then you do it. I got an offer from a very well respected member on NES to obtain a NRA Life Membership for $300. I would much rather pay $300 than $600-1000 that they are offering in the current mailer.

The issue shouldn't be so much that I am somehow gypping them, but they are ROYALLY screwing me and others with the $600-1000 "deal".

I am choosing to support the NRA, however, I don't think they should play games with the amount of their membership. If a Life Membership is REALLY only $300...then ADVERTISE IT!

They can always make up higher levels of membership if they want.... Lahey Clinic does[rolleyes]

I think you're missing his point, or I'm missing yours.

Why do clubs like GOAL and the NRA have memberships? They raise money to support their operations.
Why do people join clubs like GOAL and the NRA? To support those operations.

You aren't joining for The Outdoor Message, The American Rifleman, or a bumper sticker. You join to support their operations. They offer Life Memberships to gain a larger amount, and as a convenience to their supporters. They offer Endowment Memberships to allow their supporters to continue to support, even though they "owe" nothing.

Sometimes, a club needs more money fast. What's the easiest way to get it? You can get MORE memberships, which results in you drumming up people for 30 bucks a whack, or you can entice your current membership, who has already established they support your cause, to give you more money. The reduced rate life membership does just that.

What I think Molon.Labe is saying is that if you've chosen to support them, why try to find a way to support them less? He seems to be suggesting that the reason you'd do so is simply because you want to say you're a life member, and the true reason isn't supporting the organization. If you truly supported the organization, you'd just give them money.

I'd never really thought about it that way, but it certainly makes sense.

Anybody who doesn't have enough sense that they'd pay $1k for membership when $300 is available will probably not be financially solvent long enough to significantly contribute down the road.

The NRA rakes in tons of money offering these discounts... They pull in funds from people who would otherwise not give them anything (either by choice or because they can't afford it).

Anybody who doesn't have enough sense that they'd pay $1k for membership when $300 is available will probably not be financially solvent long enough to significantly contribute down the road.

The NRA rakes in tons of money offering these discounts... They pull in funds from people who would otherwise not give them anything (either by choice or because they can't afford it).

Really? Your response is an insult? Do you donate to COM2A? They have multiple choices for donation, and you get no toys in return. Everyone who supports them is so stupid they'll be broke?

I did fairly well in school and even I know that if you can get something for less, then you do it.

This logic perfectly applies to gym membership, all right. You pay as little as possible, and get as much as you can.
Also works for the big flat screen plasma TV bought on Black Friday.

Memberships like NRA is a totally different ball game, can't you see? One is not really supposed to receive anything. One is supposed to give.
The bumper sticker is just a sign of recognition of those who gave a lot. It sends a message that one cares a lot.
Seeking life membership for less reminds me of folks who claim to be vets though they've never even seen the front line.

This logic perfectly applies to gym membership, all right. You pay as little as possible, and get as much as you can.
Also works for the big flat screen plasma TV bought on Black Friday.

Memberships like NRA is a totally different ball game, can't you see? One is not really supposed to receive anything. One is supposed to give.
The bumper sticker is just a sign of recognition of those who gave a lot. It sends a message that one cares a lot.
Seeking life membership for less reminds me of folks who claim to be vets though they've never even seen the front line.

Interesting comment from someone who is not a GREEN member here. You only take from NES instead of supporting it for a measly $21/year.

There is a marketing logic to offering memberships at different levels and costs.

The logic with life memberships (any org, not NRA-specific) is that the org feels that they can invest the lower money received to cover their costs, while at the same time boosting their membership numbers.

NRA is all about numbers, they throw the x million members number in the face of legistraitors to make them quake in their boots. It sometimes works.

I became a NRA Life Member in 1980 thru an easy-payment plan. I think it was $200 back then. I hated all the dues notices coming due at the same time (typically Dec/Jan) each year so I jumped on the offer (it was NOT a discount deal).

I did the same thing with a lot of other orgs, so I don't get whacked with lots of dues-due bills at the end of every year.

Over the years I donated money to NRA and other orgs when money wasn't tight. Believe me once you are an NRA Life Member they will forever be hitting you up for more money, sign up your friends/relatives, jump to a higher level of membership, etc. [You can opt out of all these mailings if you wish.]

NRA (and others) make a business decision when they set prices. If they believe that the number is too low and they will take a loss, then they don't offer it . . . unless they believe boosting # members has an advantage to offset the $$ upfront.

Buying in at a low level doesn't mean that the person never will give more money to the org.

For the last few years, any life member could go to nravalidate.org and buy a $300 life membership as a gift. That web site now just redirects to the usual NRA membership page, though. (Who knows if/when it'll be back.)

I get magazines and the occasional political action alert from them; that's about it.

Since becoming a Life Member (through a very generous offer to be sponsored by a NES member) I have donated on a monthly basis a small amount of money to the NRA, just like I started to do with Comm2A. I purchased a 5 year family membership to GOAL last year. When that runs out I intend to become a Life Member.

Contrary to what some people think, there is a real effort to disarm the populace. The current nutbags in power are going at it in insidious ways and we need the numbers and the 800 lb gorilla (NRA) to watch these guys.

I know the NRA doesn't do much for us in MA but GOAL does and Comm2A does, so I support them anyway I can and that's financially right now. When I retire I hope to become a familiar face around the GOAL office and at the State House.

Interesting comment from someone who is not a GREEN member here. You only take from NES instead of supporting it for a measly $21/year.

I'm not taking anything from NES. I'm participating in discussions here like on many other forums, for free.
This is a great forum, Derek, and thank you for running it.
However, it's not clear to me what $21/year is doing for the RKBA.

If it's just to be allowed to have an avatar and signature line, then thanks, but I'd rather send an extra $21 to:
NRA (EPL), GOA (Life installment), SAF (Life) and GONH (still annual but I'm working on it)

By the way, if finding $1k in one lump sum is difficult, there are installment payment options.

I couldn't afford it, but if I was in a position where I could afford to spend 1k on an NRA membership, I wouldn't feel like I got screwed because others got theirs at a lower cost. This is donating money to a cause you believe in, not comparing the prices of cheerios.

I'm not taking anything from NES. I'm participating in discussions here like on many other forums, for free.

If it's just to be allowed to have an avatar and signature line, then thanks, but I'd rather send an extra $21 to:
NRA (EPL), GOA (Life installment), SAF (Life) and GONH (still annual but I'm working on it)

By the way, if finding $1k in one lump sum is difficult, there are installment payment options.

Dude, not everyone can afford $1000. Get off your high horse.

The $21 pays the costs of the forum (the avatar & sig line are just nice little bennies like the NRA bumper stickers - they're not the actual point). Most of the forum is public and obviously visitors are welcome, but you do realize that Derek has to pay to keep this thing up and running, right? So you're okay with hanging out and using the resource, but not in helping to keep it around?

What it has to do with the RKBA? It's a major source for news & organization, used by many different groups in New England. It's a source for people from all walks of life to learn about the RKBA and associated issues. The forum community has hosted events and publicized fundraising drives for most of the organizations you cite. It's the independent gun-centric media where you can find divergent opinions and possibly the truth, unlike the official publications of most organizations.

The $21 pays the costs of the forum (the avatar & sig line are just nice little bennies like the NRA bumper stickers - they're not the actual point). Most of the forum is public and obviously visitors are welcome, but you do realize that Derek has to pay to keep this thing up and running, right? So you're okay with hanging out and using the resource, but not in helping to keep it around?

What it has to do with the RKBA? It's a major source for news & organization, used by many different groups in New England. It's a source for people from all walks of life to learn about the RKBA and associated issues. The forum community has hosted events and publicized fundraising drives for most of the organizations you cite. It's the independent gun-centric media where you can find divergent opinions and possibly the truth, unlike the official publications of most organizations.

And don't forget about the education of new shooters. I started getting into shooting about 7 months ago. NES has taught me so much and given me an opportunity to learn from many people. Well worth the $21.

While I agree with your sentiment, as Derek always says "I own the place". He's free to shut it down whenever he'd like. He's OK with making the rules, others should be OK with playing by them. If he wants a paid only forum, it's easy to transition it.

Back
Top Bottom