NU "study" sent to EOPSS - no 2A restriction in gun laws

CAR

Is it the phase of the moon or something? So this piece of excrement popped up all over the place today, mostly on sites that don't allow comments. Just an FYI, the "study" was "submitted" to EOPSS according to the article. I'm sure it will turn up on other sites, they have to justify the money they spent on the study. Anybody know if EOPSS accepts rebuttals to badly-designed "studies" that leave out a lot of relevant info?

Tighter Massachusetts Gun Law Does Not Restrict Second Amendment
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2017/10/31/gun-control-massachusetts/

NORTHEASTERN REPORT FINDS STRICTER GUN LAWS DON’T PREVENT LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS FROM GETTING GUNS
https://news.northeastern.edu/2017/...event-law-abiding-citizens-from-getting-guns/

Report finds stricter gun laws don't prevent law-abiding citizens from getting guns
https://phys.org/news/2017-10-stric...e=menu&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=item-menu

Was this study before or after the Healy tirade? Regardless of whether one supports it or not, no one can deny that 2A Rights are infringed by State Law with the AWB interpretation.

"The vast majority—we’re talking 97 percent vast—of individuals who apply for a Firearm ID Card (FID) or a License to Carry (LTC) in the Bay State are accepted."

Oh really?

Then why do we have places like Boston where a person can not normally get a LT(CARRY).

And they wonder why I don't answer when they call for more $$.

Ditto. Graduated there a little more than a decade ago. Boy have they gone downhill with some of this crap. Shocked they haven't changed their Husky mascot for being racially insensitive to Eskimos.

Graduated in 1990. Back then it was an affordable working class university.
Now it is closer to $60k a year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

it was 50k when I went. Now you are right, it's over $60k. I will say I wouldn't be where I am today without it. The co-op program is the best of the best. Others have tried, but they have it down to perfection.

How convenient of them to not include a study where Comm2A had to sue several towns in that time to get them to issue LTCs. Also, there’s no mention of the percentage of towns and cities who habitually break the 40 day issuance/denial law and those that include the extra hoops they want you to jump through.

Not to mention there’s no mention about egregious denials. Even one such denial is still a grave issue. Let’s try that with any other right and watch the Leftist howling that would ensue.

This is all we need to know about said “study”:
In the wake of the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School that left 20 children and six adults dead, Massachusetts House Speaker Robert DeLeo, who graduated from Northeastern in 1972, asked McDevitt to lead a commission to improve state gun policies. After eight months of research, McDevitt and his collaborator Janice Iwama, PhD’16, assistant professor of sociology at the University of Massachusetts, made 44 recommendations to strengthen the state’s gun laws. In 2014, 42 of them were adopted.
The researchers also received a state grant to study how the laws were being implemented, which culminated in this report, submitted Monday to the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security. Their findings show that tougher Massachusetts gun laws led to an increase in license denials from two to only four percent, proving the vast majority of people who want guns are still able to purchase them.

"The vast majority—we’re talking 97 percent vast—of individuals who apply for a Firearm ID Card (FID) or a License to Carry (LTC) in the Bay State are accepted."

Oh really?

Then why do we have places like Boston where a person can not normally get a LT(CARRY).

Because the measurement of denials is performed at who had applications entered into the computer and was denied after background checks, not who went to the PD with a filled out form and was told, we don't issue LTCs. Also this study will not measure who was issued a LTC but cant do the C part because it says for hunting and target only.

The questions you ask can manipulate the data gathered for a study to favor a per-determined outcome.
The analysis and reporting of that data can be manipulated to come to a per-determined outcome.
Studies are nothing but a fancy opinion.

Northeastern University's current president is a Chomsky acolyte and since taking office around 2006 has run the school HARD to the internationalist left. It's now essentially another Columbia or Berkley which very heavily caters to foreign students. He ruined (not ranking wise but culturally) one of the best middle class centrist universities in the country.

The application process itself is self-selecting. Who is going to pay $100 to apply for a license if they know they don't meet the requirements. Whoever typed that has to be a complete idiot if they're using that as evidence for any argument.

So, now they Constitutional Scholars? LOL. NEU is far left liberal thinktank. Was the same way when I was there almost 20 years ago.

NORTHEASTERN REPORT FINDS STRICTER GUN LAWS DON’T PREVENT LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS FROM GETTING GUNS

LOL. Also a GIANT farce. If this was the case, Comm2A wouldn't exist!

What the study doesn't capture is how people start the process but don't finish because it is so damn onerous. I know at least 3 people that just didn't have the time or energy to complete it. One of which had a problem getting PD records from where he went to school (in another commie state). His PD, for some reason, wouldn't move forward until they saw the out of state records and the out of state PD wouldn't respond to any of his requests for the info.

If he lived in NH, he would have been a gun owner ages ago! So, don't tell me bullshit lies like this so-called "study"

The sad reality is we are treated like criminals in this ****ed-up commiewealth!

"On February 2017, the research team received information on all new and renewed firearmlicenses issued, all denied firearm licenses, and all firearm transactions that were recorded throughthe Massachusetts Instant Record Check System (MIRCS) gun dealer application and/or theMassachusetts Gun Transaction Portal from January 1, 2006 through December 31, 2016"

I thought this information was considered confidential?

I will say I wouldn't be where I am today without it. The co-op program is the best of the best. Others have tried, but they have it down to perfection.

Agreed. NU provided me with an excellent education in Engineering, the Co-Op program was an awesome insight into the real world by hands-on experience and allowed me to pay my way thru school with essentially no debt. I also met my Wife there which was another plus. However, those in Liberal Arts programs even back then in the dark ages (Vietnam War era) were as whacked out back then as the college is today! At DEC, I exclusively hired NU Co-Ops in our group and every one of them went to work for us after graduation.

Because the measurement of denials is performed at who had applications entered into the computer and was denied after background checks, not who went to the PD with a filled out form and was told, we don't issue LTCs. Also this study will not measure who was issued a LTC but cant do the C part because it says for hunting and target only.

The questions you ask can manipulate the data gathered for a study to favor a per-determined outcome.
The analysis and reporting of that data can be manipulated to come to a per-determined outcome.
Studies are nothing but a fancy opinion.

Absolutely true. NU is famous for doing this, you can bet that the results were skewed from the get-go. The only good news is studies like this get issued in a nice bound copy to sit on a shelf gathering dust forever. Not just my opinion but I was involved with a police training study (Byrne Grant) and was assured of the same by a career administrator I've known personally for 30 yrs.

Northeastern University's current president is a Chomsky acolyte and since taking office around 2006 has run the school HARD to the internationalist left. It's now essentially another Columbia or Berkley which very heavily caters to foreign students. He ruined (not ranking wise but culturally) one of the best middle class centrist universities in the country.

Not surprised at all. NU died as far as I'm concerned very many years ago (>30). I'm Alumni VP of my class and don't even open the cover of the magazines they send us, all $ requests go in the trash unread.

"On February 2017, the research team received information on all new and renewed firearmlicenses issued, all denied firearm licenses, and all firearm transactions that were recorded throughthe Massachusetts Instant Record Check System (MIRCS) gun dealer application and/or theMassachusetts Gun Transaction Portal from January 1, 2006 through December 31, 2016"

I thought this information was considered confidential?

Stats aren't confidential, only personally identifiable info is confidential.

“States are concerned that if they have a licensing provision, people will be denied their constitutional rights, and I think Massachusetts is a strong example showing that doesn’t have to be the case,” McDevitt said.

No it doesn't have to be the case.....but IT IS in many instances, and even if its just ONE case, that's one case too many.

What fvcking part of shall not be infringed do you not understand?

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. NU provided me with an excellent education in Engineering, the Co-Op program was an awesome insight into the real world by hands-on experience and allowed me to pay my way thru school with essentially no debt. I also met my Wife there which was another plus. However, those in Liberal Arts programs even back then in the dark ages (Vietnam War era) were as whacked out back then as the college is today! At DEC, I exclusively hired NU Co-Ops in our group and every one of them went to work for us after graduation.

Absolutely true. NU is famous for doing this, you can bet that the results were skewed from the get-go. The only good news is studies like this get issued in a nice bound copy to sit on a shelf gathering dust forever. Not just my opinion but I was involved with a police training study (Byrne Grant) and was assured of the same by a career administrator I've known personally for 30 yrs.

Not surprised at all. NU died as far as I'm concerned very many years ago (>30). I'm Alumni VP of my class and don't even open the cover of the magazines they send us, all $ requests go in the trash unread.

Stats aren't confidential, only personally identifiable info is confidential

Until the state needs them to kill their opposition.

I want a law that says that if you are a college or university, you accept federal funding or benefits in any way shape or form (which NU does, because I have no doubt there are students there on at least partial federal grants) and you allow things like this to be published - under the guise of being a "scientific study" (and not simply an opinion piece) with deliberate falsehoods in it; that you will lose ALL access to said money.

Course that will never happen, the big .edus and the .gov are too busy pulling each others pud/playing rubby bums while they conspire to put kids in infinite debt with overpriced schooling (and hopefully full on .gov dependency).

-Mike

I want a law that says that if you are a college or university, you accept federal funding or benefits in any way shape or form (which NU does, because I have no doubt there are students there on at least partial federal grants) and you allow things like this to be published - under the guise of being a "scientific study" (and not simply an opinion piece) with deliberate falsehoods in it; that you will lose ALL access to said money.

Course that will never happen, the big .edus and the .gov are too busy pulling each others pud/playing rubby bums while they conspire to put kids in infinite debt with overpriced schooling (and hopefully full on .gov dependency).

-Mike

Motion seconded.

I read the article and its just another state funded propaganda piece, touting people's degrees and false logic.

Let’s try that with any other right and watch the Leftist howling that would ensue.

Yeah, and they have a lot more rights than we do, and consequently they already howl constantly. According to the article, they think there's such a thing as "freedom from being shot by a gun", so I guess they must think "not getting shot" is a "right". The mental gymnastics are difficult, but I suppose by extension they think not getting eaten by a grizzly bear is also a right, not striking the ground when falling from a height, etc., etc. Actually, it all makes sense now. Not being annoyed is a right. You basically have a right for bad things not to happen to you.

Is it the phase of the moon or something? So this piece of excrement popped up all over the place today, mostly on sites that don't allow comments. Just an FYI, the "study" was "submitted" to EOPSS according to the article. I'm sure it will turn up on other sites, they have to justify the money they spent on the study. Anybody know if EOPSS accepts rebuttals to badly-designed "studies" that leave out a lot of relevant info?

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2017/10/31/gun-control-massachusetts/

https://news.northeastern.edu/2017/...event-law-abiding-citizens-from-getting-guns/

Report finds stricter gun laws don't prevent law-abiding citizens from getting guns
https://phys.org/news/2017-10-stric...e=menu&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=item-menu

There's been a lot of this type of story lately, they are timed to derail national reciprocity and suppressor legislation.

I went to NU they badger for money worse than the NRA. Years ago I told them I wouldn't even consider donating until they won the Beanpot, it shut the person on the phone up. I mean its a 4 team tournament they haven't won since 1988.

No matter the argument or debate. The .gov has raped every letter in this sentence.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Back
Top Bottom