NY Reciprocity Bill Introduced

Yup folks, you read it correctly. Hell is freezing over.

Info A-9086 was introduced by an assembly member last week. Don't be surprised to see this actually get some traction. Bloomberg and Kelly's recent crackdown on uninformed out-of-staters as well as this none sense about gun scanners is starting to be too much even for the rest of the state. Faced with the possibility of HR-822 and increasing support for concealed carry, NYC has gone on a mission to paint gun owners as dangerous would-be felons. I think they've finally hit the tipping point.

The proposed legislation would do two things: create a non-resident concealed carry license AND extend reciprocity to anyone holding a carry license from another state. There is no NYC preemption. Yes, if enacted we'll be able to run around Times Square packing on our MA LTCs (although Time Square is not what it used to be [frown]). In one fell swoop NY could go from stone age to Jetsons.

Last edited:
Maybe it's me but I don't see one of the most commie states in the union nearly dumping their beloved worst in the nationgun laws (second only to NJ), although this is promising in the sense that there are ruminations about the "democrats coming up with their own bill" whatever that means.

-Mike

Just wait till that gun scanner lights up one of their own on the subway and they have another officer-on-officer shooting.

It appears to be only a temporarily license good for no more than 90 days. But with Cuomo in the governors office this will never be passed into law.
Cuomo is the wildcard here. The legislative back story on this is not what you'd expect. Don't be surprised to see support for it from some unexpected quarters in the NY Assembly. I won't predict that it will pass let along be signed by the governor, but I do think that it will get significant support in the legislature.

Just wait till that gun scanner lights up one of their own on the subway and they have another officer-on-officer shooting.
I think most of this story is just more of Bloomberg's anti-gun hype. I'd think that deploying something like this has some real practical problems (like the one you've mentioned) apart from whatever civil liberty implications that might be applicable.

Holy Shit on the gun scanner thing.

http://theweek.com/article/index/223493/the-nypds-infrared-gun-scanner

ACLU types all for it because it will help prevent stop and frisks that target blacks and latinos.

It could work from up to 80' away[shocked]
Holy 4th Amendment Batman!

Maybe it's me but I don't see one of the most commie states in the union nearly dumping their beloved worst in the nationgun laws (second only to NJ), although this is promising in the sense that there are ruminations about the "democrats coming up with their own bill" whatever that means.

-Mike
This.

But just imagine how cool it would be to see a NH-style veto override!

Last edited:
This comes to mind: “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Plus I would love to see some pictures of illegally concealed weapons verses legally concealed weapons in these reverse infrared maps.

Holy Shit on the gun scanner thing.

http://theweek.com/article/index/223493/the-nypds-infrared-gun-scanner

ACLU types all for it because it will help prevent stop and frisks that target blacks and latinos.

It could work from up to 80' away[shocked]

That really doesn't make sense on a logical level, though. If it displays ALL concealed weapons, then wouldn't it make even people who are carrying legally subject to unreasonable detainment, and search. Nothing good can really come of this at least not from a personal freedom point of view.

That really doesn't make sense on a logical level, though. If it displays ALL concealed weapons, then wouldn't it make even people who are carrying legally subject to unreasonable detainment, and search.

Wearing a CCW sash preempts the search:

p_080000833_2.jpg

Info A-9086 was introduced by an assembly member last week. Don't be surprised to see this actually get some traction. Bloomberg and Kelly's recent crackdown on uninformed out-of-staters as well as this none sense about gun scanners is starting to be too much even for the rest of the state. Faced with the possibility of HR-822 and increasing support for concealed carry, NYC has gone on a mission to paint gun owners as dangerous would-be felons. I think they've finally hit the tipping point.

The proposed legislation would do two things: create a non-resident concealed carry license AND extend reciprocity to anyone holding a carry license from another state. There is no NYC preemption. Yes, if enacted we'll be able to run around Times Square packing on our MA LTCs (although Time Square is not what it used to be [frown]). In one fell swoop NY could go from stone age to Jetsons.

How would this affect transport of firearms (unloaded and stored in a locked container) through NYS?

How would this affect transport of firearms (unloaded and stored in a locked container) through NYS?

The copy I saw would make the FOPA provisions part of NYS law which are not there currently. Since they aren't, state and local cops arrest any out of stater with a gun period.

The copy I saw would make the FOPA provisions part of NYS law which are not there currently. Since they aren't, state and local cops arrest any out of stater with a gun period.

That would be excellent for New England people, since we can't drive to anywhere in the rest of the country without going through NYS.

FOPA isn't observed in NY? How's that even possible? Or am I missing something?

Much like in MA, they arrest first and let the courts sort it out. So once again, like in MA, you may be found innocent, but you'll be bankrupt.

That really doesn't make sense on a logical level, though. If it displays ALL concealed weapons, then wouldn't it make even people who are carrying legally subject to unreasonable detainment, and search. Nothing good can really come of this at least not from a personal freedom point of view.
The idea is fraught with issues which is why I think it's just more of Bloomberg's anti-gun propaganda.

It depends on the kind of firearms you are talking about.

NYS does not have licenses for possession of long guns. So they are not affected by this bill.

If the bill passes and NYS indeed recognizes handgun licenses from any state, they you can either carry the pistol loaded or unloaded, your choice.

The proposed legislation would do two things: create a non-resident concealed carry license AND extend reciprocity to anyone holding a carry license from another state.

This would be for VT residents etc... ?

FOPA is irrelevant when it comes to the transport of long guns through NYS

Unless said long guns are illegal in NYS.

Yes, the AWB is alive and well in NYS. Only pre-ban mags for all firearms and only AWB-allowed features on your post-ban evil AWB-covered long guns. But, no registration of said long guns.

Last edited:
If it passes I might even considwr visiting friends down there. Its an interesting turn in events thats for sure. Bloomberg would just order NYPD to ignore the law either way until the courts force him otherwise. Keeping NYC safe from the rest of the country and all that...

Back
Top Bottom