NY Times Editorial: Time for 'Sensible' Gun-Control

Yup. Can somebody add 'sensible' to growing queue of empty, meaningless, gun-grabbing rhetoric (the same queue that has 'change', 'hope', 'opportunity', 'redistribution', and 'fairness')?

December 2, 2008
Editorial
The Gun Lobby’s Loss

The gun lobby has long intimidated politicians with its war chest and its trumpeted ability to deliver single-issue voters, especially in tight races. After this year’s election, those politicians should be far less afraid and far more willing to vote for sensible gun-control laws.

The National Rifle Association directed much money and bile against Barack Obama. In false, misleading and, fortunately, ineffective ads, fliers, mailers and Web postings, the group said that Mr. Obama posed a “clear and present danger” to Second Amendment rights and that his election would mean a gun ban.

Despite that harsh barrage, Mr. Obama won states with heavy gun ownership, including Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania. That success should send a signal to other politicians: consistency matters.

In fact, Mr. Obama has long been a supporter of the argument, disputed by this page, that the Second Amendment bestows an individual right to bear arms unrelated to raising a militia. But Mr. Obama did not abandon his support for reasonable gun-control laws. “Don’t tell me we can’t uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals,” he declared at the Democratic convention.

In Congressional races, the N.R.A. endorsed candidates in 20 of the 25 races where Democrats picked up seats from Republicans. We will not miss Florida’s Tom Feeney and Ric Keller, Idaho’s Bill Sali, Michigan’s Joe Knollenberg, Ohio’s Steve Chabot, Colorado’s Marilyn Musgrave and Pennsylvania’s Phil English — willing champions of an extreme agenda.

On the Senate side, the N.R.A. spent considerable sums to help Senator Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina and Bob Schaffer, the Republican Senate candidate in Colorado. Both were defeated.

And the N.R.A.’s poor showing was not just a single isolated event. A useful election analysis prepared by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence shows that its 2006 campaign effort also was a big flop.

We hope the trend continues. To fight crime and keep Americans safe, this country needs sound gun-control laws. To pass those laws as president, Mr. Obama will need strong Congressional support.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/02/opinion/02tue3.html?_r=1

Sensible gun laws can be summed up with: Don't commit a crime with a gun. That should be the only law.

The article is on the money in some regards, but way off for the NRA portions. The NRA didnt really drop the hammer on Obama until too late in the season. It was a timing loss more than anything.

Good to see them highlight the Brady failure as well....which really just invalidates the entire piece, since by their logic the Bradys should have given up in 2006.

The article is on the money in some regards, but way off for the NRA portions. The NRA didnt really drop the hammer on Obama until too late in the season. It was a timing loss more than anything.

Good to see them highlight the Brady failure as well....which really just invalidates the entire piece, since by their logic the Bradys should have given up in 2006.

No matter how much the NRA spent (time/money), this was not a election season to be a Republican.

If the Demos who got in think their wins mean they are in the clear to bring up all the gun control they want/can, they will be out in 2 years. If not, well, I'll have a funeral for the country then.

They already have "Sensible Gun Laws" and yet the problem of criminals using guns in crimes persists, and yet they want to create more laws. It's kind of like expecting a $700B "Economic Bailout" to fix a problem they created, and when it doesn't , they just keep writing more bailouts.

Insanity -- Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results every time.

They make a pretty big leap that voting out Bush equals rejection of the NRA and gun rights. The GOP was screwed this year for a multitude of reasons, nothing could have save them. Gun rights was one of the few issues that helped the GOP.

I also enjoy how they refer to the Brady campaign for analysis of the NRA's 2006 campaign. It's akin to asking drug dealers if there's too many cops on the street.

Stylistically, that was a poorly written editorial. I wrote more compelling arguments in high school.

His whole "I support the 2nd amendment but want to keep ak's out of the hands of criminals" line is nonsense. The only people his laws will affect are law abiding ak owners... but I am preaching to the choir here. My mother got faked out by that line. She had seen him say that on tv, and was pointing out to me that it was a good thing, until I reminded her that his idea to keep ak's out of the hands of criminals was only going to make my Saiga illegal. Committing a crime with it is already illegal! The criminals don't seem to see that as an obstacle.

My AK hasn't gone on a killing spree in a while...but thats why I keep it chained up. It's SO much more deadly than all the other firearms in my safes. Need I say this: "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns."

Stop the criminal not an inanimate object.

As for the respecting 2A rights while keeping ak47s off of the street line, anyone who listened to that sentence and drew any conclusion about what it means is doing themselves and others harm by being way to quick to fall in line. What world are these people living in where they're so eager to get behind a politician who makes such an empty statement? Did any of those people hear how that plan is going to work or what it entails? Were there any details mentioned? Anyone who uses an empty claim like that with no supporting evidence from a politician as an argument, frankly is doing this nation a major disservice every time they go to the voting booth.

Speaking as the press officer of Criminals For Gun Control, I have to say I applaud them. As usual they attack, limit, infringe on the Constitution in a treasonous method, which subverts law-abiding citizens, while transferring a block of power from law-abiding citizens to Criminals and Politicians, while only providing fear as compensation.

This election was overrun by people not thinking about "REAL" issues and instead hearing what they wanted to hear instead of what was being spoken. The republican party dropped the ball on all of us and thats what really led to this election being as one sided as it was. But you know we all had a part in it in some small way. I sat on my a** just like most of Americans did. We thought just our one vote mattered, on the heels of a president that did nothing for legal gun ownership here in America. Its time to rally, I know it sounds like bulls**t, but true. We need to get organized on a state level and bring back to local government what our new president will take from us. House and senate seat will need to be decided in the next two years, if any of us survive that long. We need to meet with those who will run for those seats and make them accountable to us. I hate the thought of whats coming, but preparing for it in a different way. Guns sales are through the roof right now and I can't even get parts right now. Its crazy out there, but lets not be the ones any more that wait for our one vote to make a difference, lets get more. just my penny's worth. But let it not stop here.

Or, don't commit a crime.

Actually, thinking about what I said, I have to take back my original comment, because then so called lawmakers can make a law saying it is a crime to drive over 65mph, or own a firearm....

There is no such thing as sensible gun laws since laws are only obeyed by those who choose to do so thereby creating an imbalance of power that favors criminals and tyrants. The founding fathers knew this and that is why they put shall not be iinfringed.

This election was overrun by people not thinking about "REAL" issues and instead hearing what they wanted to hear instead of what was being spoken. The republican party dropped the ball on all of us and thats what really led to this election being as one sided as it was. But you know we all had a part in it in some small way. I sat on my a** just like most of Americans did. We thought just our one vote mattered, on the heels of a president that did nothing for legal gun ownership here in America. Its time to rally, I know it sounds like bulls**t, but true. We need to get organized on a state level and bring back to local government what our new president will take from us. House and senate seat will need to be decided in the next two years, if any of us survive that long. We need to meet with those who will run for those seats and make them accountable to us. I hate the thought of whats coming, but preparing for it in a different way. Guns sales are through the roof right now and I can't even get parts right now. Its crazy out there, but lets not be the ones any more that wait for our one vote to make a difference, lets get more. just my penny's worth. But let it not stop here.

this election was overrun with people with there head up there ass!!

I for one am all for sensible gun laws. Namely, I wholeheartedly support a law stating that there should be no laws infringing the right of the People to keep and bear arms. That's sensible.

[thinking]

Yup. Can somebody add 'sensible' to growing queue of empty, meaningless, gun-grabbing rhetoric (the same queue that has 'change', 'hope', 'opportunity', 'redistribution', and 'fairness')?

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/02/opinion/02tue3.html?_r=1

So the reasoning is as follows:

Mr Obama is not a threat to the Second Amendment, despite what those mean old people in the NRA said. And to prove it, we should immediately pass laws that are a threat to the Second Amendment.

Did I really just read that? Holy shit.

Subscription rates are down, the stock is in the dumper...Who the hell reads the New York Times.....

Back
Top Bottom