• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NYSPA v Bruen — MA LTC law

SCOTUS will rule that permitting schemes stay intact, as long as it is designed to filter out “mentally ill, felons, etc.”. Then blue states will rush to categorize everything as mental illness or felonies. Oh, wait, don’t they already do that with penalties for safe-storage violations, mag capacity and AWB violations?

SCOTUS will rule that permitting schemes stay intact, as long as it is designed to filter out “mentally ill, felons, etc.”. Then blue states will rush to categorize everything as mental illness or felonies. Oh, wait, don’t they already do that with penalties for safe-storage violations, mag capacity and AWB violations?

Nobody knows what they will dictate. Ideally a decision that says that the 2A right is too important to have discretionary whim play a role in the determination of who can exercise that right will come out but obviously it's going to be much narrower.

Correct. SCOTUS will likily say something like the Second Amendment extends outside the home and that a generalized desire for self defense is 'proper cause'.

I fully expect however, that NY will still try to limit as much as possible who can get that license and even perhaps what people can carry and where.

Because of a certain justices’s questions and comments, SCOTUS will make some comment on. Use of scrutny v txt & history. Other comments and questions about sensitive locations.

so what I think NY and many other states may do is increase the number of sensitive locations And times.

I considered getting a non-resident washington D.C. LTC but when you look at the places where you can actually carry a firearm it becomes pointless. Can’t carry it in federal buildings, or most city gov buildings. Many stores and restaurants also have signs up prohibiting conceal carry as well. Cant carry one on Mass Trans either. So where does that leave you in D.C. basically car and home, and maybe if you walk down the street. Providing your not on federal land etc…

South Carolina, which has a very limited local prememption, passed open carry this summer, however one city is in the process of passing a ordinance to ban open carry in public buildings and during public events. Place and time.

The next big case, other then AWB or Magazine bans, or bump stocks, triggers, I believe is going to be over what’s truly a sensitive location and or time and what isnt.

like I think I said before, or at least somewhere… IMHO SCOTUS will make a ruling that one has a 2A right beyond the home, and that one may not use any subjective Reasons or allow the discretionary issuance of a permit. They will comment on sensitive places and persons and Kavanaugh will make a point that the use of scrutiny has NOT been properly used. SCOTUS will use Young v Hawaii to clarify that this opinion will also apply for open carry. I say this because cert has not been denied for Young v Hawaii and it is still currently ”on hold” especially since two other permitting scheme certs have recently been denied.

Last edited:
the Following states though, allready have pending LTC/Carry/Permit cases pending in district, and circuit courts challenging the states May Issue laws. All are being stayed or held in Abeyance waiting on this NY SCOTUS case.so it shouldn’t be to long after SCOTUS issues their opinion that these states laws will be invalidated.

California, Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, New York City, Rhode Island, and CT I haven’t found any for Ma yet but I see ones filed in rather short order. Delaware also doesn’t have any pending cases either.

So at least 5 states and NYC will fall quickly after.

Back
Top Bottom