• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Obtaining a CT pistol permit if I owe child support?

I have a question. I want to start the process of obtaining a Connecticut pistol permit but I owe a few grand in back child support. I am currently paying support again but I was wondering if anyone knows if I will be able to obtain a permit because I owe money. It was just a rumor that I heard and was wondering if there is any truth to it. Does anyone know?

Patience... we have a few CT members but not many (yet). If you need an answer right away, you might want to call the CT State PD - I think that they're in charge of the licensing process.

I'm not sure, but your best bet is to either:

A) Speak to an attorney who specializes in firearms law

or

B) Call: (860) 685-8290

The phone number is to the CT Department of Public Safety
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit

Once you go through the application process via your local police department, you will receive a temporary Pistol Permit. You have 30 days to take that temporary permit to the above mentioned department, and they will issue you your credit card style CT Pistol Permit.

Anyone at that office that I've ever spoken with has been very knowledgeable and courteous.

And surely, the police will tell you accurately what your situation is with regard to firearms licensing. [rofl]
Actually, CT Dept of Public Safety. My mistake. However... given that they're NOT MA LEOs... AND that the MA SP is in charge of non-res applications... They'd probably point him to the CT Dept of Public Safety, anyway.

And as I was at work and behind the nanny-wall which thinks that I shouldn't be able to even get to Kim DuToit's website because it's about EEEEEEEvil guns, I couldn't even find my normal links for searching that info out. Had to go with what I could remember.

And as I was at work and behind the nanny-wall which thinks that I shouldn't be able to even get to Kim DuToit's website because it's about EEEEEEEvil guns, I couldn't even find my normal links for searching that info out.

I can't get to NES from work. It comes up:

"Prohibited Site: Reason: Games"..

What the .... ???!

I'm not sure, but your best bet is to either:

A) Speak to an attorney who specializes in firearms law

or

B) Call: (860) 685-8290

The phone number is to the CT Department of Public Safety
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit

Once you go through the application process via your local police department, you will receive a temporary Pistol Permit. You have 30 days to take that temporary permit to the above mentioned department, and they will issue you your credit card style CT Pistol Permit.

Anyone at that office that I've ever spoken with has been very knowledgeable and courteous.

Please note that this no longer true. Once you take your NRA certified pistol course, you apply directly to the state for your permit. There is no longer any need to apply for a local permit.

My Son just went through the process [grin]

Please note that this no longer true. Once you take your NRA certified pistol course, you apply directly to the state for your permit. There is no longer any need to apply for a local permit.

Wow cool! Thanks for the update. When I lived in CT and applied for my Pistol Permit, it was back in 2002. Good to know that you don't have to deal with the locals anymore...

That is strange..I live in Bristol and I needed to go through the town PD(this year). I'm not sure about Thompson but believe towns that have a resident trooper or no PD will have a different process.

Back
Top Bottom