Obtaining an FFL in MA?

I'm in the process on moving to MA and am wondering about getting an FFL. I've got a pretty good collection but am not shooting much anymore, and the area I'm going doesn't have a lot of opportunity or places to shoot. I can probably work with a local shop to sell off stuff, but the cost of doing so would likely offset the cost of the FFL.

Is it any tougher to obtain the license in MA than any other state? Is it up to the relationship you have with the local CLIO?

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

It's a pain in the ass in MA but not impossible.

Unless we're talking hundreds of guns, though, this doesn't make any sense, just to liquidate a personal collection.

-Mike

You can get an FFL for your home address, but cannot get a MA dealer's license.

The BATFE does not issue FFLs to support hobbies, but for business purposes. You may be able to get a home FFL if you can come up with a viable business plan that does not involve any consumer sales and is consistent with local zoning regulations.

If you sell via Gunbroker.com, you will have shipping and transfer fees but will not have to pat a shop a consignment fee (18% at Four Seasons, 20% at B&K). Or, you can sell individually (limit 4 on personal transfer per calendar year), and pay a shop to do the transfer after you hit that limit.

Good advice here already.

If you've got C&R pieces you're looking to get rid of, you can sell and ship them to 03 holders here on NES before you become a MA resident. That way, if won't eat into your FTF limit once you get here and it'll save you the trouble of moving them.

eta: never mind. They're not C&R.

Last edited:
Are any guns in your collection C&R?
Nope.

I'm not sure I get the "MA dealer's license"/"consumer sales" distinction. I'd be selling guns via private transaction (eg, not a storefront, but I myself posting ads, either here, Gunbroker, what have you), doing the background check and processing the paperwork myself. In my current area I have to pay about $35-50 to have a dealer do this for me. Last time I looked into it, it cost about $300 for the FFL. So if the dealer fees there are consistent (or more) than what I pay here, I would come out ahead after selling 6-8 guns, the way I figure it.

I'm not sure I get the "MA dealer's license"/"consumer sales" distinction. I'd be selling guns via private transaction (eg, not a storefront, but I myself posting ads, either here, Gunbroker, what have you), doing the background check and processing the paperwork myself.
If you sell more than 4 in a calendar year, excepting FFL to FFL transactions, you must have a MA dealer's license in addition to the FFL in MA.

If you sell more than 4 in a calendar year, excepting FFL to FFL transactions, you must have a MA dealer's license in addition to the FFL in MA.

MGL only allows issuance of a MA Dealer's License to a location that is NOT a residence and meets zoning requirements as a business. Gets mighty expensive to do what you want. Without that state license you can't sell to anyone FTF (other than the 4/calendar year that any LTC holder can do).

Maybe this will help.

Do some homework on what can and can't be brought into MA. There are restrictions on the type of firearm and magazine capacity. There are even more restrictions on what a dealer can sell (handguns) than on what an individual can sell.

You will need to get a firearms license, I'm assuming it will need to be an LTC. I don't know what the laws are in OR but I don't want to assume everyone knows this. Check the law, maybe someone can post a link to Comm2a's town ratings. MA is not a shall-issue state, there are state restriction and restriction can be made by the individual towns/cities. Some hand them out to everyone who isn't specifically restricted by the state, others will look for any little reason not to give them out or will restrict them.

If you are not a dealer and are selling FTF (Face to Face) to a properly licensed individual you will need to file an eFA10 (on-line state form) and are limited to 4 per year.

If you get just an FFL you are a dealer according to the Fed gov but not the state gov. So if you sell to a non FFL holder it is still a person to person FTF and having the FFL does not help you nor will it exempt you from the 4 firearms sale per year limit.

The way around the 4 gun limit is for you to transfer the gun through someone who has both the FFL and MA dealer licensing.

Getting a MA dealer license isn't impossible, in fact it's not too bad as long as you meet the requirements. But this will include zoning and some kind of storefront (could be a suite in an industrial complex or a retail store but you basement isn't going to cut it). Definitely talk with your local Police Chief before going this route. And you probably need a business license and TAX ID.

So becoming a dealer in MA is a lot of paperwork and probably not worth it just to liquidate a private collection. Assuming that collection isn't coming in it's own moving truck.

ETA: Listen to everything Len says.

Getting an FFL isn't the hard part; getting the MA dealer's license is. I tell people who are curious that getting my FFL was 20% of the work for 80% of the outcome. Getting the state licenses was the other 80% of the work for the remaining 20% of the outcome - namely the ability to sell firearms to folks in MA.

In fact, an FFL is shall issue provided you meet the requirements. The only real potential trouble spot is your location zoning. There is no 'suitability' nonsense like there is with MA license issuance (dealer or LTC).

Getting the state licenses was the other 80% of the work for the remaining 20% of the outcome - namely the ability to sell firearms to folks in MA.
As well as exemption from the MA AWB (MA dealers are exempt; FFLs are not unless they also have a dealer's license)

07 FFLs (manufacturers) should still be AWB exempt without the state licensing, no?
I think the law banning silencers contains an exemption for 07s. I am not aware of a general purpose exemption for other post-ban AWs for > 10 round mags for 07s, however, that does not mean there is no such exemption. Hopefully someone can post further details.

A lot simpler than most people think. Hell, including myself, we have about 24 07s here in my mill in Littleton. FFLives matter. Jack.

I think that is old data. There are at least a couple more that may not have made it to the FFL listing.

Littleton needs to do a LOT better to beat the FFL's per capita nationwide, but we definitely have the most FFLs' per building, nationwide.

I think that is old data. There are at least a couple more that may not have made it to the FFL listing.

Littleton needs to do a LOT better to beat the FFL's per capita nationwide, but we definitely have the most FFLs' per building, nationwide.
There are quite a few that are in locations other than room 622. Jack.

There are quite a few that are in locations other than room 622. Jack.

When I looked at the FFL list last there were 24 with Littleton addresses, MOST in 622 but some scattered. Several have been through the process since then

Some town in Montana I think has like 60 or 70 FFLs listed but they're scattered geographically.

I'm quite proud of the friendly environment you've created. It shows that even in a hostile place like MA, freedom can thrive.

Thanks. I have non-licensees subletting to FFL tenants. Even the owner of the mill is a 07. The Littleton PD is a pain in the ass, but the folks at the Boston ATF office have been great about expediting licenses, which is really something for a gov't agency. Jack.

So what's the point of getting an FFL if you don't plan/can't get dealer license?
The MA dealer license will eventually arrive, just the LPD plus Michaela combo takes a long time. There is a ton of commerce you can perform even before the MA license(s) arrive.

And yes, as Jack pointed out, ffl/07's can own suppressors and other cool hardware.

Back
Top Bottom