Obtaining an FFL in MA?

I personally am looking into getting an 07FFL with SOT to reap the bennies and make it a small side business for now.
Don't forget you will need ITAR registration ($2250/year) if you are a manufacturer and not a pure R&D 07 .... even if you have no intent to sell internationally. Many 07s skip this step and seem to get away with it.

According to ATF they have 60 days max to approve or deny once they get your application.

The ATF has been whipped into submission and now processes FFL apps in a timely manner. Even the state seems to be a little more responsive than they had been.

You may see SIGNIFICANT delays imposed by the local PD, which is inserted in the fray as the point you MUST file for the state licenses.

What is the consensus on the mill people, are you all sole proprietors or llc's?

I chose LLC. It's all dependant on how you plan to structure your business plan. Do you plan on doing alot of business? Do you want to separate it from yourself? You can also incorporate if you want.

Don't forget you will need ITAR registration ($2250/year) if you are a manufacturer and not a pure R&D 07 .... even if you have no intent to sell internationally. Many 07s skip this step and seem to get away with it.

I’d just like to point out that this now appears to be on the verge of changing :)

This is progress, but if they truly intend to roll back some of the restrictions, how about undoing the EOs that restrict imports. This can be done with the stroke of a pen.

You may see SIGNIFICANT delays imposed by the local PD, which is inserted in the fray as the point you MUST file for the state licenses.
True if you want to do retail sales or gunsmithing. There are other ATF approved reasons for obtaining an FFL that do not require a MA license to sell firearms or perform gunsmithing.

The approval of FFLs here at the Mill by ATF is what you might call "shall issue". No problem. The PD does issue the state licenses but they drag their feet in doing so due to their sheer hatred for me and what I've done here. It's a dog and pony show and I enjoy every minute of it. Jack.

And even if the stsate drags their feet, you can still set up wholesale accounts, acquire used guns and sell either on gunbroker or through one of the other FFLs at the mill.

For example, you sell a gun. You transfer it to another FFL, he does the retail transfer.

A lot simpler than most people think. Hell, including myself, we have about 24 07s here in my mill in Littleton. FFLives matter. Jack.
I’m applying for my type 06 in MA, Can you DM me that location or some of the FFL contacts? I’d like to pick their brain to make sure I’m doing everything right.

I’m applying for my type 06 in MA, Can you DM me that location or some of the FFL contacts? I’d like to pick their brain to make sure I’m doing everything right.
Google some gun stores, go there, and ask if the owner would be willing to talk to you. Most will agree to talk in exchange for a nice dinner. Steak dinner with all the Fixin's and a bottomless beer glass is a good choice. Just sayin'..

The FFL is the easy part.

For an ammo manufacturer, you will have to deal with zoning and fire code as well.

Back
Top Bottom