Obtaining an FFL in MA?

I do think that any new addresses (spin off from existing residence) does need notification to the local Postmaster. I'd expect most are reasonable. But the example is CA, so what can you expect . . .
He claimed the Postmaster General had to approve the extra address. There is only one Postmaster General.

So from reading this, best case scenario would be an 07FFL for R&D purposes, SOT, and a mass dealers license. That would allow me to have cans - avoiding stamps, mass dealers license for AWB exemption? How do you convince PD to give you a mass dealers license for R&D purposes?

So from reading this, best case scenario would be an 07FFL for R&D purposes, SOT, and a mass dealers license. That would allow me to have cans - avoiding stamps, mass dealers license for AWB exemption? How do you convince PD to give you a mass dealers license for R&D purposes?

Not gonna happen. The ATF will not approve 07 licenses for anything other than business. If you're not trying to make money, then they assume you're doing it to build up your collection and that is a big no-no.

Not gonna happen. The ATF will not approve 07 licenses for anything other than business. If you're not trying to make money, then they assume you're doing it to build up your collection and that is a big no-no.

5.2.6 Collectors acquiring NFA firearms for their personal collections by acquiring dealers’ licenses and paying NFA special tax. Some NFA firearms collectors, who are not engaged in any firearms business, have been known to acquire a GCA license to deal in firearms and pay the NFA special tax to acquire NFA firearms for their personal firearms collections. They do so for a number of reasons: (1) to acquire firearms from nonlicensees residing out-of-state; (2) to circumvent requirements imposed on individuals to provide their fingerprints and photographs in order to receive NFA firearms and law enforcement certifications authorizing their receipt of such firearms; and (3) to avoid NFA transfer tax on firearms they receive from FFLs/SOTs.
Warning: These transactions violate the law and can only lead to trouble for the collector. In these instances, the collector has committed Federal felonies by falsely stating on a license application and special tax return that the collector intends to conduct a firearms business. Any NFA firearms received tax free by the collector are subject to transfer tax and the collector’s receipt of the firearms tax free violated the NFA. As held in ATF Ruling 76-22, these transfers are unlawful and the firearms received are subject to seizure and forfeiture.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-5/download

Last edited:
Read the ATF memo on consultants to gun companies - it specifically lists "volunteers who are not W2 employees" as needing an FFL, thus documenting one exception to the "must try to make money" requirement.

How do you prove your a consultant?
I would expect documentation from those you are consulting for would go a long way towards proving the point.

What would be more difficult is "I want an FFL so I can offer my services as a gunwriter and photographer" with no clients lined up.

Hmm, if you were a volunteer consultant I'm sure you could get plenty of other FFLs to document that you "consulted" for them. How difficult is it to walk into a shop, pick up a gun and say "I like this one". You have not consulted.

Would a volunteer consultant qualify?

Hmm, if you were a volunteer consultant I'm sure you could get plenty of other FFLs to document that you "consulted" for them. How difficult is it to walk into a shop, pick up a gun and say "I like this one". You have not consulted.

Would a volunteer consultant qualify?
According to the BATFE notice, a volunteer consultant needs an FFL .... which directly implies that such an arrangement would be accepted as a reason.

I could actually prove I have such an arrangement (a gun company pays for my flight to their HQ a few times a year), but I decided that the benefits aren't worth the hassle. I would get 4 transfers not subject to the EOPS/AG requirements, but I would not get an exemption from the MA AW ban, so it's easier just to pay a storefront FFL for my transfers.

I hope I'm asking this in the right forum -- can anyone tell me how long it generally takes to obtain the Federal "Curios & Relics" license?
I do have a recently-issued LTC (restricted).
I filed the application on August 3. I live in Boston so I am hoping they don't object.
Thank you.

I hope I'm asking this in the right forum -- can anyone tell me how long it generally takes to obtain the Federal "Curios & Relics" license?
I do have a recently-issued LTC (restricted).
I filed the application on August 3. I live in Boston so I am hoping they don't object.
Thank you.

Anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months is typical. Some of that depends on how rapidly MA responds to BATFE query on your background.

Boston PD can object all they want, it won't prevent issuance short of non-response to BATFE query . . . IIRC mine was hung up on renewal one year and I was told my PD hadn't responded yet. Otherwise I have no idea who and how the BATFE queries MA.

Anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months is typical. Some of that depends on how rapidly MA responds to BATFE query on your background.

Boston PD can object all they want, it won't prevent issuance short of non-response to BATFE query . . . IIRC mine was hung up on renewal one year and I was told my PD hadn't responded yet. Otherwise I have no idea who and how the BATFE queries MA.

Thank you for replying to my question.
The application is clear in that the CLEO does not need to do anything unless there is an objection to the license being issued -- I know other Boston residents who have C&R licenses so I don't think BPD can object on the grounds of violating state or local ordinances. I have already met their requirements for a LTC. However in this state you never know... I suppose it's a good thing I didn't have to file a copy with our esteemed AG...

Don't worry I have had mine for many years.Just remember to send a copy of the application to the PD when you applied,and when you renew your C&R.

I used to believe this but it isn't really true. Worst case ontario all you have to say is the magic words "I'm interested in buying, selling, building, and trading firearms, sometimes at profit, and the ATF told me I need a license to do this legally. " (I know people who bought and sold a lot of guns who literally were more or less told this.) If all your ducks in a row they pretty much will issue a license- because then it puts the onus on them to frame out what "profit motive" really means, and they don't really want to do that. They've already demonstrated 900 times that there's not much of a trigger for requiring an FFL. They've even cracked down on dudes with laser engraving machines doing engraving while the owner is present. (which is SUPPOSED to be legal, but feds go FR about this unless the operation is conducted "under an FFL". ) Given this quick proclivity for them to point a gun at people and say "you must have an FFL to do that" it makes it difficult for them to deny one based on their perceived profit motive (or lack thereof).

-Mike

Last edited:
So if I read this thread correctly an 07 gets you nothing with respect to the MA AWB (to include any gun/mag restrictions that might be coming down the pike), you'd need a MA Dealer's License for that. A MA DL is appreciably more difficult and expensive to get and maintain, but not impossible if you have a legitimate business of some kind.

Sorry if I've missed it in the thread, but what might be the minimum type and volume of gun related business that could qualify you for a DL? And is the issuance of the DL subject to the local chief's blessing, or are you generally good to go if you have the appropriate commercial space (in Littleton, for example)?

You get the FFL and you will get the State licenses. You will be immune to most of the Mass bullshit. You can pay the $500/yr SOT and do business in NFA stuff. You can have suppressors in this state. You can convert ARs to full auto on the cheap. (still need green card). Your first ATF audit will be in 5-7 years. By that time, you will have sold a gun or done a transfer and thus made a profit. The 25+ 07s here in the mill in Littleton are living proof of this. Come on in. The water's fine. FFLives matter. Jack.

You get the FFL and you will get the State licenses. You will be immune to most of the Mass bullshit. You can pay the $500/yr SOT and do business in NFA stuff. You can have suppressors in this state. You can convert ARs to full auto on the cheap. (still need green card). Your first ATF audit will be in 5-7 years. By that time, you will have sold a gun or done a transfer and thus made a profit. The 25+ 07s here in the mill in Littleton are living proof of this. Come on in. The water's fine. FFLives matter. Jack.

Aside from rent and all that, and the $500/yr, are there any significant recurring costs? I can set up the business and handle the annual reporting and stuff myself.

So if I read this thread correctly an 07 gets you nothing with respect to the MA AWB (to include any gun/mag restrictions that might be coming down the pike), you'd need a MA Dealer's License for that. A MA DL is appreciably more difficult and expensive to get and maintain, but not impossible if you have a legitimate business of some kind.

Sorry if I've missed it in the thread, but what might be the minimum type and volume of gun related business that could qualify you for a DL? And is the issuance of the DL subject to the local chief's blessing, or are you generally good to go if you have the appropriate commercial space (in Littleton, for example)?

There are three state licenses: Dealer, Ammunition and Gunsmith. They're $100 each or all three for $200. You need the FFL in hand to apply. Others will have their hand out too.

You are expected to do business. A storefront either virtual or brick&mortar. Other than CJIS and your biz's local PD taking their sweet time, pretty much if you meet the requirements you'll (eventually) get the licenses. ATF, oddly, has been the most cooperative and responsive of the bunch.

Aside from rent and all that, and the $500/yr, are there any significant recurring costs? I can set up the business and handle the annual reporting and stuff myself.

Nope. Your biggest bill is likely the SOT. Unless you're selling >$500,000/year, then your SOT is $1000/year. I have no regrets jumping in on the 07 bandwagon. You also meet some really cool like-minded people.

How much commercial space is required and how often does ATF come to visit? I have family that owns an office in a commercial zone...I might hop on the 07 train

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much commercial space is required and how often does ATF come to visit? I have family that owns an office in a commercial zone...I might hop on the 07 train

In Mass, you need a location in a commercial or industrial zone that is not a residence. There are rare exceptions. A closet with a 5 gal. bucket in it will do. I've rented out spaces so small that the ATF interviews had to be done in the hall. The bucket is optional. Currently 5-7 yrs for ATF visits. I've been licensed for 35 yrs and have had 4 so far. Jack.

Last edited:
In Mass, you need a location in a commercial or industrial zone that is not a residence. There are rare exceptions. A closet with a 5 gal. bucket in it will do. I've rented out spaces so small that the ATF interviews had to be done in the hall. The bucket is optional. Currently 5-7 yrs for ATF visits. I've been licensed for 35 yrs and have had 4 so far. Jack.

So the closet space is basically just a place to keep your files/records..?

You get the FFL and you will get the State licenses.
Not necessarily true.

There are conditions under which you can still get an FFL for a home address.

There are no conditions under which you can get a state dealer license for a home address, unless you have a *very* friendly local PD that is willing to play the game "your shed or garage is actually a separate address".

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Your biggest bill is likely the SOT. Unless you're selling >$500,000/year, then your SOT is $1000/year. I have no regrets jumping in on the 07 bandwagon. You also meet some really cool like-minded people.
Did they change it? Last I heard it was $500. Also, you need to document you are doing R&D only or file an ITAR registration (min $2250 a year). Many people who do not do export do not file for ITAR, but this leaves them vulnerable.

Back
Top Bottom