• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Obtaining an FFL in MA?

Another cost some may overlook is the $500/year to state for an LLC. Not sure if others are going the LLC route for their business but it seems like a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fwiw I tried to get a ffl at my brothers business. What killed it was the insurance company that insures the building said no ffl's or else they would cancel policy.

Open up a building in metro west. Somewhere near Framingham / Westborough and I'd be in

I tried to make the mill work but the traffic and distance just didn't fit for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come join us in Littleton. Almost all of us are NES Green members. You'll fit right in. Jack.

I really would love to do this but it's hard to justify the rent at $1,920 a year, how much of that on average gets recoup by the existing tenants via transfers?

Also do all transfers have to be done in Littleton (registered office) or can they be done anywhere like at range for example.

thanks
Harry

I really would love to do this but it's hard to justify the rent at $1,920 a year, how much of that on average gets recoup by the existing tenants via transfers?

Also do all transfers have to be done in Littleton (registered office) or can they be done anywhere like at range for example.

thanks
Harry

Transfers MUST be done at the FFL's place of business.

This is not a cost effective way to enjoy the benefits of the FFL and the exemptions. However, those are terrific bennies if you want to run a business. In other words, plan to make some money as a business and ALSO enjoy the benefits.

Pretty sure you don't need the green card if you are a manufacturer (07 FFL).

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

121 does state that section 131 doesn't apply to manufacturers. 131 is where a machine gun licenses are talked about - paragraph o.
Not sure if that is enough to say manufacturers done need a mg license. I'll let others interpret that.

One other point:. The state dealers licence is technically "license to sell/lease/rent firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns".

One would think if you are licensed to sell the item (machine gun), then you should be able to possess the item under the same license. In an official capacity of the business of course.

Thoughts?

What exactly is the criteria defining an acceptable off-premise location? Since gun shows obviously qualify, the question becomes not "are off premises transfers allowed" but "what is the criteria for a temporary off premises business location?".

What exactly is the criteria defining an acceptable off-premise location? Since gun shows obviously qualify, the question becomes not "are off premises transfers allowed" but "what is the criteria for a temporary off premises business location?".

Actually not the correct question. Business premise with the sole exception being a gun show. It comes to the definition of gun show.

Actually not the correct question. Business premise with the sole exception being a gun show. It comes to the definition of gun show.

Sorry, yes. The business address of the FFL or a "gun show".

And, contrary to media coverage, the same background checks must be performed at gun shows as at the office/shop. There is no "gun show loophole". Except for that meme picture that went around a while back.

Acquisitions can occur anywhere.

121 does state that section 131 doesn't apply to manufacturers. 131 is where a machine gun licenses are talked about - paragraph o.
Not sure if that is enough to say manufacturers done need a mg license. I'll let others interpret that.

One other point:. The state dealers licence is technically "license to sell/lease/rent firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns".

One would think if you are licensed to sell the item (machine gun), then you should be able to possess the item under the same license. In an official capacity of the business of course.

Thoughts?

All this. I think you have it.

This is not a cost effective way to enjoy the benefits of the FFL and the exemptions. However, those are terrific bennies if you want to run a business. In other words, plan to make some money as a business and ALSO enjoy the benefits.

What really is a cost effective way to enjoy the bennies today... Profit margins on a new gun are minimal.. 5 to 10% markup. If you don't have a storefront for example, then that leaves you with selling online (doubtful you'd ever make good money with that) or listing online like here on NES and then meeting person at your location. Transfers can make you money if you have the customer base. Also helps if you're not paying astronomical rent. After the initial setup (FFL, MA DL, SOT if you want), you can have very minimal overhead if you have the right space, and make a profit.

I personally am looking into getting an 07FFL with SOT to reap the bennies and make it a small side business for now. I can't afford to drop my career to open a storefront and possibly not make it. So a side project mainly doing transfers and maybe focusing on harder to obtain firearms for folks would work best for me. Or, interstate sales of silencers. Still trying to figure it out.

I personally am looking into getting an 07FFL with SOT to reap the bennies and make it a small side business for now. I can't afford to drop my career to open a storefront and possibly not make it. So a side project mainly doing transfers and maybe focusing on harder to obtain firearms for folks would work best for me. Or, interstate sales of silencers. Still trying to figure it out.

Don't say this out loud and certainly don't say it to the ATF in your interview. The only reason you would do it is to be a profitable business. End of story.

thanks
Harry

where abouts do you live?

Any benefits that someone might enjoy because they have an FFL have to be incidental to the intended purpose of the FFL. Other than a C&R the purpose is business.

This is a publicly accessible forum, discussing these incidental benefits may lead the less informed to believe these incidental benefits are the primary purpose of the FFL, which they are not. Consider your audience.

Any benefits that someone might enjoy because they have an FFL have to be incidental to the intended purpose of the FFL. Other than a C&R the purpose is business.

This is a publicly accessible forum, discussing these incidental benefits may lead the less informed to believe these incidental benefits are the primary purpose of the FFL, which they are not. Consider your audience.

This ^

I am filling out the FFL application. I am confused to what class license to file for. Does an 07 FFL offer all the allowances that an 01 FFL does? I am confused because a lot of talk here is regarding 07 with SOT but according to the license description 07 is for manufacturing only and 01 is for guns and NFA items. I own an industrial building in MA. Police chief gave the ok. I am planning on apply for dealer, ammo and gunsmithing license from state. Would I apply for 2 FFL licenses?

From what I understand an 07 can do everything an 01 can plus manufacture. You only need the 07, again from what I understand you do not need both.

harry.

Matt, you will also need three State issued licenses before you can do any business in MA. One of those, incidentally, exempts you from the MA AWB, meaning you can stock, possess and sell (to LE only!) post ban mags, etc. IANAL, do your due diligence.

If you landed in the Mill, see Jim or Jack for some guidance on those State licenses.

Thanks all for the answers.
I am not sure where this venture will take me. My thought is why pay the $500 sot payment if I will not use it by July 1. Is this something I need to do from the start or can I add it anytime? I figure by the time this goes through and I can do business it will be March or April

I am not sure where this venture will take me. My thought is why pay the $500 sot payment if I will not use it by July 1. Is this something I need to do from the start or can I add it anytime? I figure by the time this goes through and I can do business it will be March or April

You can apply for the SOT at any time. You are better off waiting (as you mentioned) until perhaps mid June to apply so it is effective after July 1 - or you will be paying $500 again almost immediately. I have an 07 FFL but have not yet done anything with NFA stuff, so until I do, I am not paying 500 per year just to say I have the SOT.

According to ATF they have 60 days max to approve or deny once they get your application.

Back
Top Bottom