• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Odd Magazine Restriction Stuff from Brownells

Quick question.. I was ordering 9 round magazines and + 1 extensions and Brownells dinged the order. Has anyone else here had this problem?

I suspect this is fallout from the stupid, incorrect AG notice that went out to a number of online retailers threatening them with legal action if they sold ammunition to residents of MA without a dealers license (total crap). Many of the retailers got scared and stopped shipping anything that might be suspect to MA. This might be reason they won't ship a magazine. I would call them and ask.

Brownells is good about sending cripplemags and extensions to MA. Have you asked them what the reason for cancellation was?

This is the text..
It's kind of silly.. It's for a G33 mag(holds 9)
They have 10 rounders for the G27 that should do the same thing.
I could see if I ordered the 10 rnd G27 mags, and these.

"Your order (Brownells confirmation XXXXXXXX) contains an item that is

restricted in your area. Your complete order will be put on hold until
the proper documents have been received. One of the following documents
must be on file with us:

A) Large Capacity Magazine Permit issued by your
State
B) If you are a police officer, your order must be submitted
on Department letterhead stating that they will receive
and validate your ID for the transport of high capacity
magazines. The magazines must be shipped to the Department.
The letterhead must be signed by your Superior Officer for
each order.

Either document can be faxed or mailed.

If your document is not received within two weeks of the order being
placed, your restricted item will be cancelled, unless we, the Gun
Department, are contacted during this time."

I'll probably just cancel my order and order the G27 10 round mags

Last edited:
It's probably just a mistake. I bet they just misclassified it in their database. Brownells is a good company.

I'd call them. Might be a mistake.

Actually, I have found Brownells to be better than other catalog houses as far as shipping to Mass goes.

I'd call them. Might be a mistake.

Actually, I have found Brownells to be better than other catalog houses as far as shipping to Mass goes.

I agree. Brownells was actually selling disassembled high cap mags into MA as repair kits until they received a nice letter from the AG. So they aren't afraid to push things within the law. I'd call them.

Don

I've been through this with Brownells. Sent them a copy of my LTC, and they shipped the baseplates. It's some sort of legal risk mitigation strategy when dealing with a part that could, in theory, create a hi-cap from a low cap mag in MA. IIRC, they don't try to sort out whether an actual hi to lo combination exists, they do it for any baseplate going to MA that adds rounds. Their business decision, of course.

I've been through this with Brownells. Sent them a copy of my LTC, and they shipped the baseplates. It's some sort of legal risk mitigation strategy when dealing with a part that could, in theory, create a hi-cap from a low cap mag in MA. IIRC, they don't try to sort out whether an actual hi to lo combination exists, they do it for any baseplate going to MA that adds rounds. Their business decision, of course.

Its actually understandable. At least if you can talk to them and get them to reverse course, its ok I guess.

In contrast, AIM won't ship anything that is Semi-auto into some states. Even if its legal. And there is no changing their mind. They won't even ship a semi-auto firearm to a FFL in some states.

Don

Yeah.. They won't ship the +1s..

"Thank you for the email, the restriction would not actually be on the magazine as it is a 9 rnd which is below the limit. The extended base pad however would fall under the restriction as it will increase a 10 rnd magazine over the 10 rnd limit. I can leave the magazine but would only be able to proceed with the base pad if you purchase the plus zero 092-100-026. Would you like me to change that item or remove it altogether?"

Yeah.. They won't ship the +1s..

"Thank you for the email, the restriction would not actually be on the magazine as it is a 9 rnd which is below the limit. The extended base pad however would fall under the restriction as it will increase a 10 rnd magazine over the 10 rnd limit. I can leave the magazine but would only be able to proceed with the base pad if you purchase the plus zero 092-100-026. Would you like me to change that item or remove it altogether?"

so 9+1=11 according to brownells math?

halp, i'm lost.

Because I MIGHT add it to a 10 round mag.. Yeah no.. I like having my permit TYVM. Some states must have constructive possession with regards to this. I just ordered the 10 round .40 cal mags.

They do understand you can just drive to NH and buy anything you want if you really wanted to loose your lic, if there's laws for possession then I think its dumb there is a laws for sale, just like i think its dumb for someone to sue a bar for driving drunk, but whatever - can't fight city hall here...

This isn't really a legal question so much as a question about Brownell's shipping policies so I moved the thread.

Back
Top Bottom