Odd Marks on Brass? Reloadable?

Hey Guys...

I just got back from the range and noticed something odd about some of my .40 spent brass coming from my M&P Shield, see pics. I am wondering if this is normal and if these can be reloaded. I am thinking that they are being ejected too hard and hitting the back of the ejection port. I can see a lot of brass on the port, more than usual. I am spitting brass in all different directions... some straight up some back right and some 25ft right.

The ammo I am using is Speer Lawman 165gr. I bought a bunch of it so its all I have but am thinking of switching to something a little lighter maybe 145gr or so.

This pic shows the dings on the mouth of the brass...
deformedbrass_zps2cd3beba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This pic shows the striker mark which is normal from what I have learned... I used this mark to see if the dents were always in the same spot but they are not... Here you can also see the mark from the ejector (just under the "S" in Speer, which seems a bit aggressive IMO...
BrassPrimerStrikeandEjectorstrike_zps94cc2d68.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a small bunch of the brass as you can see not all of them have this dent.
brassbuch_zpsf6cc7018.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
One of the real reloaders will chime in. But I would just run one through the decap and re size and if it looked ok I would go for it.

I pretty much only scrap for cracks. Mouth dents that go away during resize and flare I don't worry about. I also don't worry about body dings unless I think they might not permit the round to chamber.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

They swill reform after the resizing. If your worried either mark each one with a sharpie so you can check them after the next firing, or scrap them. Me, yeah go ahead and load em up!

I've reloaded worse. Sometimes it makes sense to bend the case back a little bit with a pair of pliers, before putting them in the resizing die (stepped on cases), but those will probably re-size without issue.

I'd run it all. Once cleaned, sorted, inspected etc keep a good eye on them coming out of the sizing die and expander or powder die depending on die brand. That's where you might find a folded case mouth or split. Otherwise they look runnable.

Back
Top Bottom