Off-hand accuracy @ 100 yards

Viper22

NES Member
Backstory: I had an opportunity to get to the range this AM for a solid 3 1/2 hours. Brought out some .22's to sight in, and brought my AR's (5.56 & 300BLK). One of my buddies went and brought along a 16" steel gong which we set out at 100 yards. It was fairly easy to consistently hit off-hand with both AR's. The 5.56 has optics (1-4x) and the 300 with irons.

Leads me to what I've been pondering...I had never really thought of it, but what does everyone think is a good size gong for 100 yards? Should a 10" gong or even 8" gong be able to be hit consistently off-hand? I'm looking at purchasing some of my own, and wanted to get a feel for what sizes would be best for that distance.

The standard offhand target ring dimensions for a high power match at 100 yards are as follows

Aiming Black (inches)
Xring ......... 1.35
10ring......... 3.35
9ring.......... 6.35
Rings in White (inches)
8ring.......... 9.35
7ring......... 12.35
6ring......... 15.35
5ring......... 18.35

that's some mother fuker good shooting if you can consistently hit a 4" circle off hand at 100...irons or optic, damn good shooting.
At the nationals the 10 ring is 7" at 200 yards for off hand-- the shooters at the top of the leader board generally shoot very 90% to clean or 100% scores with a decent X count with iron sights.
The shift to allowing scopes at the nationals really has not changed to top leader board scores....just look at the results but I do think it put a larger amount of shooters into the that mid 95% range.

BUT keep in mind they are shooting at a 13" black bull at 200 yards. Although they still have to hold the shot!

At the nationals the 10 ring is 7" at 200 yards for off hand-- the shooters at the top of the leader board generally shoot very 90% to clean or 100% scores with a decent X count with iron sights.
The shift to allowing scopes at the nationals really has not changed to top leader board scores....just look at the results but I do think it put a larger amount of shooters into the that mid 95% range.

BUT keep in mind they are shooting at a 13" black bull at 200 yards. Although they still have to hold the shot!

al the way out to 600 the 10 ring is 12" with a 36" aiming black.....still got to hold it. the shooters with the tricked out rifles with the fancy iron aperture sights front and rear will ding the x ring more than service rifle. Fun stuff

Keep in mind you have to see it to hit it. 4" is about as small as I can see and hit at 100 yards. The daughter and I love hitting the 4" with the 22 with both iron and scope. My daughter is doing well and genrrally goes 7-8 shots before a miss. I have a few 10s under my belt but thats when my eyes where much younger.

Backstory: I had an opportunity to get to the range this AM for a solid 3 1/2 hours. Brought out some .22's to sight in, and brought my AR's (5.56 & 300BLK). One of my buddies went and brought along a 16" steel gong which we set out at 100 yards. It was fairly easy to consistently hit off-hand with both AR's. The 5.56 has optics (1-4x) and the 300 with irons.

Leads me to what I've been pondering...I had never really thought of it, but what does everyone think is a good size gong for 100 yards? Should a 10" gong or even 8" gong be able to be hit consistently off-hand? I'm looking at purchasing some of my own, and wanted to get a feel for what sizes would be best for that distance.
as for size get 2" -12" and you can practice know your limits shooting... then pick up the 1/2"- 3" steel know your limits target for your 22s!

or get some chickens , rams and turkeys and such

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWXvalVoa8Y

Last edited:
If you are really awesome, a golf ball on a string will be easy. But try shooting the string to drop the ball.

This is all great input. I was planning on spending some coin on steel targets. This will help me out on figuring out what to buy. I appreciate it!!!

I shoot a 4" steel plate at 100 yards offhand. It's comparable to the silhouette matches I shoot.

Irons/Optics?

that's some mother fuker good shooting if you can consistently hit a 4" circle off hand at 100...irons or optic, damn good shooting.

Used to do it all the time, when I was still a kid. Silhouette shoots, 22LR, iron sights, at the Marlborough F&G. Is that place still around.
Now days I'm finding it a bit harder, but I'd still say 4"-6" at 100 yards, especially if it's with a scope.

For me, a good Offhand is low-mid 90's, my best standing score is a 98-1x. I was on fire that day.

If you are inexperienced, I would consider a "good" offhand to be no misses (outside of scoring ring) on a SR1 @ 100 or SR @ 200 target, so whatever those dimensions translate to on a gong or whatever.

I generally use a 1/2 IPSC target at 100 yards. It is 9"x13". Its a good plate to use for both pistol and rifle practice
I shoot with a fighting stance, not a solid target stance. Bringing the rifle up fast and trying to put 2 shots on the steel quickly.

I have a 4" square plate for rifle accuracy stuff, I use it for 200-300y off the bench. Its too small for my skill level at 100 yards unsupported.

My wife and I were watching Gunny Time this past week. Adam Baldwin & Shane WhateverhisGlockis were shooting those wheelie target things with new Glocks. I pointed out to my wife. "Notice Shane is within an inch of dead center every shot no matter if it's moving or not?"

I recall Tom Knapp threading a .22 through a wedding ring or a washer something. He made a point during the slo-mo afterwards that teh bullet didn't go through the hole, it went thru the CENTER of the hole.

Scopes. No scopes. Standing. Sitting. Laying down. Being jumped on by a crazy cat. Being beaten by a jilted lover. A good shooter has a better "eye" than the rest of us. They will always rise to the challenge.

As far as the plate, I'd want something I DIDN'T hit consistently. I'm pretty confident at hitting 8" at 100yds offhand. I'd go 6" or 4" for sure.

I think a 6" steel at 100 yards is a good dimension. That would represent the aiming black of a NRA/CMP 200 yard target. Anything smaller and you'll have issues seeing it. My offhand practice is at 100 yards with cheap .223 ball ammo on Bullseye pistol "25 yard timed and rapid fire" targets which are 5-1/2" black.
20190906_122920.jpg

With steel, you lose the scoring rings, but you can tell a center shot because it sounds like a flat "splat" instead of a "ring" like an outer perimeter shot will sind.

Go to Old Colony and watch the guys competing outdoors, with .22LR offhand at 200 yards.

Now that is some good and challenging shooting with tiny subsonic rounds.

anyone remember the ihmsa silhouette matches at camp curtis in reading run by, i think, ron ritchie? he had a little side match where he'd put a .22 turkey target at 175 yds and you got 3 shots for 2 bucks. a hit got you a 1/2 gallon of wild turkey. you could shoot any position, on the ground or standing using of course your silhouette pistol. i never hit it...ever, but there was a local shooter who hit it pretty consistently, standing, using a dan wesson 8" .44 revolver. impressive for sure.

Back
Top Bottom