• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Officer loses rifle

Sound made up to anyone else? You wouldn't see a rifle bag sitting on the trunk in your mirror??
Sounds plausible to me. A lot of modern cars (IDK what they use for cruisers) have a very limited visibility in the rearview mirror. It was a soft bag, not much thicker than a naked rifle. With a mirror being out of adjustment because the guy on the previous shift was much taller, the bag could've been invisible. The cop started driving, realized he couldn't see crap in his mirror, adjusted it, but the rifle was already gone.

More coverage of story.
In a press release, Salem Police said, "We fully understand the significant public safety risk posed by the loss of this rifle. "
[rofl] Yup, it's going to go on its own killing spree as soon as it figures out how to unzip itself from the case.

It's going to be a little hard to sell.
a Colt M4 Commando 5.56mm semi-automatic only patrol carbine with an 11.5 inch barrel. There is also a "Restricted Government/Law Enforcement/Export Use Only" stamp on the lower receiver.

Last edited:
If no one has called yet, then I'm guessing someone just got a free rifle... I read it has an 11.5" barrel so they better apply for their tax stamp for their SBR [laugh]

I normally don't play this card but: How come when they have one, it's a "patrol rifle" and when we have one it's called an assault rifle?

it's ok guys, he feels bad
"We are embarrassed as an agency and no one feels worse than the officer who lost the bag. We will conduct and internal investigation into the matter as well as review our practices to ensure that this event does not occur again."

we can let it go now

I normally don't play this card but: How come when they have one, it's a "patrol rifle" and when we have one it's called an assault rifle?

They didn't even mention how it's the semi version of the scary 'military assault rifle', etc.

Where do the keep the rifles in the patrol car? I would think it would be up near the driver no? One would think that he would notice that it wasn't in the car but I've left cups of coffee on the roof and drove off more times than I care to admit.

As as bad as it is it wouldnt surprise me if it was just a dumb a$$ mistake.

Sound made up to anyone else? You wouldn't see a rifle bag sitting on the trunk in your mirror??

My wife always puts her hair brush on my trunk, and I drive off. Then she makes me search the neighborhood for the brush. We've gone through 4 hairbrushes that way.

So yeah, I think the story is legit.

- - - Updated - - -

Question for the lawyers, is it proper storage to put your rifle on your roof, as long as you're a LEO?

Oh wait, this was in NH, never mind.

Stranger things have happened. A coworker of mine left his spike strips on top of his patrol truck once as he was doing his pre-shift inspection, and he forgot them there. They slid out into the road as he turned out of the parking lot, fell out of the case, deployed perfectly, and he got a textbook four-tire spike on the next vehicle out of the lot.

Where do the keep the rifles in the patrol car? I would think it would be up near the driver no? One would think that he would notice that it wasn't in the car but I've left cups of coffee on the roof and drove off more times than I care to admit.

As as bad as it is it wouldnt surprise me if it was just a dumb a$$ mistake.
I'm guessing he kept it in the trunk. If he was keeping it in the bag as mentioned in the article, I'm not sure where he'd put that up front.

Wonder if it was loaded or if there was ammo in the bag with it.

Based on what I have seen first hand, I'm surprised it was in a bag at all and not just leaning on the seat next to him. As far as being loaded and/or with ammo ... it wouldn't be much good otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom