Official NES Cast Bullets Seminar

It's running right around 700° as far as I can tell. I'm getting all the zinc and clips out clean. I need to pick up a meat thermometer this weekend, my infrared thermometer has an adjust for reflectiveness but still fluctuates. Maybe it was the cool air and wind yesterday that made it form quicker than usual. I was pouring ingots just after dark.

Any of the attendees do some casting yet?
I'm hoping to fire up a pot tomorrow and make some cool stuff.
Let's see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't attend but took advantage of the weather and cleaned up some sprue and rejected cast that have been sitting around in a ammo can I have better plans for.

Last edited:
I need a little more equipment / supplies to start casting but will get going this winter. I do plan to load the Ranch Dogs that mac1911 gave me. Will be going into .307 Win loads for my 94AE and will be destroying pumpkins next weekend. I don't think I will have time nor equipment before the pumpkin shoot to size the bullets I cast at the seminar. Will take care of that later.

I need a little more equipment / supplies to start casting but will get going this winter. I do plan to load the Ranch Dogs that mac1911 gave me. Will be going into .307 Win loads for my 94AE and will be destroying pumpkins next weekend. I don't think I will have time nor equipment before the pumpkin shoot to size the bullets I cast at the seminar. Will take care of that later.
what did the drop at ?

My thoughts exactly. If it's close enough maybe you can get away without sizing.
Or call shooting supply and I bet he would ship a sizer up to you.
Quick tumble lube and they're good to go.
I can't wait to hear how the hollow points tear up pumpkins

It's a .308 bullet so even a .310 will work... of course you will have to run them below the need for a gas check....?
Around 1000fps or so...

Last edited:
Started melting down some wheel weights today. I am doing it in my 10lb pot after the surgery I can't lift the bucket and a little at a time is fine with me.

Started melting down some wheel weights today. I am doing it in my 10lb pot after the surgery I can't lift the bucket and a little at a time is fine with me.

I used a large dutch oven and just slowly filled it with 3-5lbs at a time when I hurt myself a few years ago..then I just ladled all my ignots into the pan vs dumping from the pot.

before I picked up any gear I used a old colman duel fuel camp stove and a heavy high sided fry pan I found at the dump...could get about 15# in it.

I have a 10 and a 20 lb pot so I could do more but doing the small batches is OK. After sorting and melting I got 20+ lbs in ingots and a full pot cold. so not too bad.

It's a .308 bullet so even a .310 will work... of course you will have to run them below the need for a gas check....?
Around 1000fps or so...

The ones you gave me have gas checks, though I do plan to run them relatively slow. GTG with those, but I need a sizer for the ones I made in my new mold. Tricky with the hollow point pins and I'll need to start running it already well preheated- I need to look for a hot plate at the local recycle center or Goodwill.

The ones you gave me have gas checks, though I do plan to run them relatively slow. GTG with those, but I need a sizer for the ones I made in my new mold. Tricky with the hollow point pins and I'll need to start running it already well preheated- I need to look for a hot plate at the local recycle center or Goodwill.

Cool ..... what are you using for powder?

Little score at the dump.
Hope it's lead in the weight bags...don't find lead as often as I used to I dive gear. If not I'm sure I could sell it for a few bucks.

doh black sand in the weight bags! well I drive by a dive shop once in a while .....they might give me coffee money.

I've got a question: I have access to a couple large, Brand new 24 volt lead-acid batteries. They are still dry, and have never had acid in them. Is it feasible to break these apart, and recover the lead?

I've got a question: I have access to a couple large, Brand new 24 volt lead-acid batteries. They are still dry, and have never had acid in them. Is it feasible to break these apart, and recover the lead?

For the effort to put into it to get the "lead" out is not worth it...plus there is a slew of other nasty chemicals to deal with even with out any "acid" find out what local scrap yard gets for them and cash them in.... bust them open and try it out if you want.
Wal mart used to give 10$ gift cards for any old battery?
Our scrap guy who picks up our stuff gives us about .20 lb. When scrap is up....right now scrap is pretty low..

Last edited:
Just happen to have a small lead acid battery kicking around. Already cracked open.
Prior burgerly attempt they smashed the back up system.
Lead is on the right. Took me about 10min to get down to this and I still need to smelt the lead and dispose of the junk...
In that same 10 min I could have scores 10-20lbs stoping at a few shops on the way home from work.

Everything I've read says do not smelt battery lead.
Lots of nasty's in there to deal with. I see you're better off scrapping the batteries and trading it for a good lead when you're there.
If you're short on lead shoot me a PM and I can get you a bucket for my cost.

The only reason I ask, is I have access to them, they weigh about 50# apice, and have never had the acid in them.
I'm working on my local lead supply, and getting tooled up after the seminar, so I don't have an immediate need for the lead, but just keeping my eyes open.
Thank you guys for offering up your lead supplies, but I'll pass until I get rolling on it. My wife may kill me if I start stockpileing wheel weights.

The only reason I ask, is I have access to them, they weigh about 50# apice, and have never had the acid in them.
I'm working on my local lead supply, and getting tooled up after the seminar, so I don't have an immediate need for the lead, but just keeping my eyes open.
Thank you guys for offering up your lead supplies, but I'll pass until I get rolling on it. My wife may kill me if I start stockpileing wheel weights.

I think for what it takes to get usable lead out of batteries its just not worth it... tops you might get 30% usable lead. Theres other elements mixed with the lead and such.
even at 50% you get 25lbs of scrap lead for your efforts or cash them in for 10$ each. our scrap guy was just here.... 7$ for 24 series or bigger...

lee might not be the best but they do have good customer service.

my lee 1oz 12g slug mold fell apart.... lost the core pin.... seems mine was a old riveted model?
anu how wrote to lee yesterday got response today... now to see how much shipping is???
Lee is not the best but for the cost its very very hard to beat.
John:

There are two options to obtain a replacement part.

1) The replacement parts are free [US and Canada customers only], you are just responsible for the shipping to your residence. You can place your order for the parts through the following links:
http://leeprecision.com/core-pin-bracket.html
http://leeprecision.com/core-pin-1-oz-slug-m.html
http://leeprecision.com/LM-Shoulder-Bolt.html
The free part prices will appear once you add the items into the shopping cart.

2) Mail the parts in to the factory at the address below for a no charge replacement.

Thank You,

Laine
Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.

Well my Neighbors will be happy I finished up the wheel weights. Boy do the stick one ones stink the adhesive is terrible!!! My vent hood couldn't even pull it all out I had the garage door open too. but I got about 65lbs of good lead out of it. Not too bad.
1b.jpg

Last edited:
I take all my stick ons and let them sit in a bucket with water in it for several weeks...it breaks the adhesive down a bit... smelting can stink and smoke..... cool windless nights are good for smelting. Smoke goes straight up.... putting a cover on the pot helps a little also.

Finally did a little smelting this morning. All "soft" alloy. Flashing, dive weights, lead pipe, range lead, casting rejects, a 20 lb painted ingot I got from ASP. Ended up with a little bit better then 3/4 bucket of clean "soft" alloy. Will be great for the old black powder cartridges I load.

Back
Top Bottom