• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Official NES Cast Bullets Seminar

Looking good!

I'm jealous. I need to melt some lead. Time to hit the tire shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. I saw that big chunk of type metal a couple times.
I also saw that stash of beautiful tin bars. Wow that's some nice looking stuff.

Nice score!

Tin is a nice score... don't need much of it. Lion type is another good score. Do not see any around here unless a old timer is getting out of casting.

I just added a NOS (new old stock) Lyman 2 cavity mold in 25 acp to my inventory. My biggest bullets are 700 grain 500 S&W Magnums, and my smallest castings are 50 grain 25 acp RN.

Congrats to all who attended the workshop. Casting is one of the best ways to reduce or eliminate the biggest cost in the reloading assembly, the projectile (bullet). For those who are now casting, you only have a primer and powder to pay for.

And, thank you to Michael and his helpers for doing this! While I was the one who started the workshops, I am pleased that they continue and prosper!

Thank you for the knowledge to pass on.
Thats a cool little mould. I just picked up some 10 cavity H&G #50 moulds. Serious heavy chunk of steel!

Well we were up at the new Cabin in N.H. The whole Family was up there this past weekend cleaning and starting to gut the inside for new wiring and insulation. The past owner was into reloading but the family was only interested in the reloading presses which they took and left the rest. This weekend I started cleaning the shed with the reloading stuff and brought it down here. Just before I left I took this picture today from Warren, NH this Mount Blue (4,000 Foot Peak). About 2,000 feet up Mount Blue is the cabin. My Daughter and Son in Law will be going up to work on it over the next few months. It does need a lot of work but it will be worth it. Well when I arrived home and unloaded the car. I did a quick inventory as I took it out. I need to do a more through one to see what I have. So far this is what I see. We have still not finished one shed!!! There are 4.

These are about 2lb Cans
30-06 5 cans
.308 5 cans
30-30 2 ½ cans
.223 7 cans
40 6 cans
45 acp 1 can
38spl 2 ½ cans
.357 2 cans
9mm 8 cans
357 sig 1(1lb)
44 mag 1(1lb)
Small amounts or unusual rounds
35 Rem. Rifle
30-40 Krag
243 Win.
25 Auto
32 Win Spl. Rifle
300 Win mag
8 X 57mm
7mm mag
25-06
Other things
RCBS Lube/sizer.
2 Reloading Bullet trays
RCBS primer catcher
2 lead pots and dippers.
4 Traps to make into wall art!!
.495 Muzzle loader5 Projectiles.
Hornady No. 2 manual
Lyman No 46 manual.
1917 Bayonet

and some 50/50 lead/tin bars

20161113_083057-1.jpg 20161113_141645.jpg 20161113_141659.jpg 20161113_141718.jpg

[party][party][rockon][party]
Well we were up at the new Cabin in N.H. The whole Family was up there this past weekend cleaning and starting to gut the inside for new wiring and insulation. The past owner was into reloading but the family was only interested in the reloading presses which they took and left the rest. This weekend I started cleaning the shed with the reloading stuff and brought it down here. Just before I left I took this picture today from Warren, NH this Mount Blue (4,000 Foot Peak). About 2,000 feet up Mount Blue is the cabin. My Daughter and Son in Law will be going up to work on it over the next few months. It does need a lot of work but it will be worth it. Well when I arrived home and unloaded the car. I did a quick inventory as I took it out. I need to do a more through one to see what I have. So far this is what I see. We have still not finished one shed!!! There are 4.

These are about 2lb Cans
30-06 5 cans
.308 5 cans
30-30 2 ½ cans
.223 7 cans
40 6 cans
45 acp 1 can
38spl 2 ½ cans
.357 2 cans
9mm 8 cans
357 sig 1(1lb)
44 mag 1(1lb)
Small amounts or unusual rounds
35 Rem. Rifle
30-40 Krag
243 Win.
25 Auto
32 Win Spl. Rifle
300 Win mag
8 X 57mm
7mm mag
25-06
Other things
RCBS Lube/sizer.
2 Reloading Bullet trays
RCBS primer catcher
2 lead pots and dippers.
4 Traps to make into wall art!!
.495 Muzzle loader5 Projectiles.
Hornady No. 2 manual
Lyman No 46 manual.
1917 Bayonet

and some 50/50 lead/tin bars

View attachment 182579View attachment 182576View attachment 182577View attachment 182578

Finally got the equipment together and cast around sixty usable .45s Saturday from the lead from the seminar. With the expert instruction received it was straightforward. Lubed and sized them all and loaded a few up to try later this week.

Attachments

• IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 27
Finally got the equipment together and cast around sixty usable .45s Saturday from the lead from the seminar. With the expert instruction received it was straightforward. Lubed and sized them all and loaded a few up to try later this week.

Awesome!
They look good. What lube are you using?

Nice! So that BLL is 60% Alox and 40% of that wax that came in the bottle. It's supposed to do the same thing that Alox does but it dries in a few hours and doesn't stay tacky at all.
Coat 2 or 3 times and you're good to go.

What load are you going to try out?

This getting old is not what I thought it was going to be!!! I went out to the reloading room to do some work. when I got out there it was cold as anything. So I went and got the space heater, hooked up the propane and finally got it fired up and got some heat. Then came the problem I FORGOT what I came out here to do. So I cleaned up some. I noticed that all the Plastic shoe boxes I had lead were broken from the weight. I had some new trays from when Granger closed near me. So it is all nice and neat. I have about 100lbs of linotype both in ingots and unprocessed, about 60 lbs of pure lead, 70 lbs of Wheel weights and about 10 lbs of tin. Anybody want to come by the house and make some bullets?????
1f642.png

15492226_10211771706750835_1208145083321569561_n.jpg

Any idea if/when you guys will be running another one of these seminars? I'm so disappointed in the Marine Corps Reserves for making me miss the last one :D

Seriously though...I'm DYING to shoot my 1889 Schmidt Rubin...and now that it's black powder season, she's got missed opportunity written all over her.

Looking good Bill.
I did a little casting a couple weeks back with a 429303.
Cool bullet.

I did one coat of hi-tek but need to finish them so I can actually shoot some.
The load listed with this bullet back when it was first designed was scary. It's about 205 grains and was pushed by 26.5 grains of 2400. Now a days they limit it to 24 grains in the load books.

Anyone else do any casting after the seminar?

I made some hollow base slugs and some other random stuff too. I'm going to make some more 30 cal on Sunday if I have the time.

Had a return credit at Cabelas and finally picked up a pot during lunch today. 10 more days of vacation to burn plus a day for Christmas. I might do some casting tomorrow if I chicken out of skiing in the cold. Or I could do both.

I have been watching thrift stores etc. for a mold heating hot plate but may just buy a new one and come out ahead via not wasting anymore gas money. I'm going to figure out the right heat and cadence to lick that hollowpoint Ranch Dog mold. We missed the NES pumpkin shoot due to a family emergency but I'm planning some hollowpoint destruction for next year. I did shoot some solid Ranch Dogs given to me from mac1911. Very accurate in my .307 Win lever gun.

A late B-day gift from Mrs. Mountain will be a Ruger Old Army BP revolver. Planning on casting Lyman .457 balls for that.

Had a return credit at Cabelas and finally picked up a pot during lunch today. 10 more days of vacation to burn plus a day for Christmas. I might do some casting tomorrow if I chicken out of skiing in the cold. Or I could do both.

I have been watching thrift stores etc. for a mold heating hot plate but may just buy a new one and come out ahead via not wasting anymore gas money. I'm going to figure out the right heat and cadence to lick that hollowpoint Ranch Dog mold. We missed the NES pumpkin shoot due to a family emergency but I'm planning some hollowpoint destruction for next year. I did shoot some solid Ranch Dogs given to me from mac1911. Very accurate in my .307 Win lever gun.

A late B-day gift from Mrs. Mountain will be a Ruger Old Army BP revolver. Planning on casting Lyman .457 balls for that.

I believe if you go to the ranch dog web site his instruction on using the 6 cavity aluminum molds are pretty spot on.
First and foremost is to make sure your mold is clean.
I over kill... warm soapy water and scrub scrub scrub.
Then I use a volatile highly evaporative degreaser
Like brake cleaner. Then wash with soapy water again.
I ever so lightly lube the mold pin tips and sprue plate hinge with antiseize. I get the mold to operating temp and just touch the rear of the screw. It will wick into the works.
Then I just touch the alignment pin.
Bees wax works ok to.

I believe if you go to the ranch dog web site his instruction on using the 6 cavity aluminum molds are pretty spot on.
First and foremost is to make sure your mold is clean.
I over kill... warm soapy water and scrub scrub scrub.
Then I use a volatile highly evaporative degreaser
Like brake cleaner. Then wash with soapy water again.
I ever so lightly lube the mold pin tips and sprue plate hinge with antiseize. I get the mold to operating temp and just touch the rear of the screw. It will wick into the works.
Then I just touch the alignment pin.
Bees wax works ok to.

Anyone using the a-la Ranch Dog 'dip the mold in the molten lead' method to heat the mold?

Since the semester, I've collected a couple hundred pounds of lead, cut a propane tank in half, bought a pot, mold, etc. Collected old muffin tins, old toaster oven...then we decided to move so everything is packed up. Going to have a lot more room in the new house though

Anyone using the a-la Ranch Dog 'dip the mold in the molten lead' method to heat the mold?

6 cavity I let it sit on the pot until the lead melts. Then I cast one hole at a time until each drops a nice cean filled bullet.... then i will just run all six. I run my lead clip on wheel weights and 2% tin at 750'F mold is hot enough to feel good warmth through wood handles with out gloves....i drop bullets until they start to come out frosted then a let the mold cool a little on top of the lead pot. I casted 30lbs of those bullets and have plenty for a while. I only use the ranchdog in my 1903a3 for cmp vintage.

I hate dipping the mold in lead. You can get it too hot and you end up with a messy mold that can have issues with "soldering" in the went lines and being a big mess.
I prefer using a hot plate. They work great to preheat the molds and keep the mold hot if you need to walk away to do something else.
If that doesn't work use a propane torch to get a head start on the heat. Less than a minute and it's good to go.

I'm doing a karma on the castboolits forum if any of yo my are members.
It's for an H&G 10 cavity mold. 136 grain wadcutter for a 38 special.
Not the best condition but it drops bullets like rain!
Figured anyone signed up there might want to get in on it.

50 cal Lee R.E.A.L. 250 grain getting better

I was off to a rough start with the lee 250 grain real bullet and my T/C Omega 50 cal. Iron sights.
Today I got a little more settled time to test.
50 yards bench rest. First shot went low right like the last few times. Adjusted elevation and the next 3 shots went pretty good.
100 grains of Pyrodex pellet, bees wax lube.
I want to try Blackstone 209 and see if I can't tighten these groups up a little better plus I can't stand the egg smell. If I can I might put a scope on it as seeing the rear notch was not easy even with the fiber optic sights and my weakening eyes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom