• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Oh, those saucy boys

bfm

NES Member
Happy Boston Massacre day.

The trial of the eight soldiers opened on November 27, 1770.[64] Adams told the jury to look beyond the fact that the soldiers were British. He referred to the crowd that had provoked the soldiers as "a motley rabble of saucy boys, negroes, and molattoes, Irish teagues and outlandish Jack Tarrs" (sailors).[65] He argued that the soldiers had the legal right to fight back against the mob and so were innocent. If they were provoked but not endangered, he argued, they were at most guilty of manslaughter.[66]

Amazing that even way back then this country believed in innocent until proven guilty and valued a strong legal defense.

Amazing that even way back then this country believed in innocent until proven guilty and valued a strong legal defense.
More accurate that this has always been a point of contention. People then were calling Adams a traitor for defending them, while others were grateful for his steadfast support of presumptive innocence.

Of course, "This Country" at that point was Great Britain. And, the kernel of the defense was what we would now call "classist" - none of the attackers / instigators was of the right sort. Later, when the right sort got wound up, attitudes were different. That's why you could have tea parties and tarring-and feathering, and arson, and....

Well, the rest is history... [laugh]

Battle road this April 19th would be a fine place to find yourself (weather permitting] if you’ve never done it before.

More accurate that this has always been a point of contention. People then were calling Adams a traitor for defending them, while others were grateful for his steadfast support of presumptive innocence.
He’d have been crucified on Ye Olde Northeastshooters.com

Forgive my ignorance, why is April 19 a good day to travel battle Road if you’ve never done it before? I once worked on the great Road in Bedford MA which I believe is the same road you’re referring to?

Taking my American brain out of the equation: What did the Colonists EXPECT to happen??? Taunting quartered soldiers is going to end in some sort of response. The King's troops were in a no-win situation. Can't walk away. Can't appear weak. Can't shoot the crowd dead. Well, I guess they erred on the latter.

On the flip side, it was a galvanizing event for the Colonies. One of many. But it helped the cause of American freedom. Although I'm not sure that was the plan for the mob, and especially for those killed on that day.

Paul Revere's Ride by Fischer is a good up-to-the-18th-of-April account of Colonial America and the various skirmishes that led to the Revolutionary War.

I went to the reenactment at Lexington a couple of years ago. I'm hoping to go to Concord this year. Any tips?

Get there early.

I have not gone in a while, used to go all the time as a kid.

Last time I went I had a good walk form where I found parking and then the crowd was big enough to make it difficult to see much. Of course, I already knew the ending.

Get there early.

I have not gone in a while, used to go all the time as a kid.

Last time I went I had a good walk form where I found parking and then the crowd was big enough to make it difficult to see much. Of course, I already knew the ending.

Thanks. I think it will be next year as the weather doesn't appear to be cooperating.

We took our kids to the reenactment in Lexington when they were younger. It was a great time! My kids were fascinated when a re-enactor in one of the buildings showed them the dental tools they used back in the day.

Lived on Wintah'ill. Tennyson St which is in between Meffah and Broadway. I worked from home one Pats Day and watched the parade. It was patriotic to me. That was. . . . 27 years ago?

Back
Top Bottom