• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OK, now I get it. All this "Buy a GLOCK" talk is like snipe hunting!!! What a POS

Not a chance drewh14, I have a wife, that's bad enough. I could never deal with a girlfriend!!!! *S*

[laugh]

Whenever my wife accuses me of something like having another woman on the side, I always tell her "look, babe...you're almost too much to handle. there's no way I'd have another woman in my life, because between the two of you, you'd drive me up a f--king wall"

She never seems to be happy to hear that I don't have another GF [laugh]

I only shoot 115 grain crap ammo through mine. No hiccups. Just try it again with a firm grip. No white knuckles, just a good squeeze. If you still don't like it, my offer stands.

It could be that someone modified it and then sold it...and you happened to pick it up.

What kind of jams are you getting?

If it's an equipment problem then my guess is that it's probably a recoil spring issue. A hard spring will cause the slide to short stroke. A light spring might not have enough pressure to forcibly strip a round off the magazine and have it hit the ramp of the barrel.

It also could be a magazine related issue but any mag issues I've ever had were not very repeatable.

Every one of my Glocks have shot everything without issue.

And of course it could also be a grip issue. When your gun weighs half of what a solid metal gun does, you might need to hold the thing like a real man.

*I do remember a pistol class that I did where one woman simply could not grip the gun well enough and limp wristed 1 out of every 3 shots*

Last edited:
Mike, I notice that the 115 Remington stacks against the inside of the Mag on my Hi Power. Not all the mags do, but some of them. I thought that might be the problem with the Glock.

I did shoot 20 rounds of 147 Winchester and had no jams.

I'm going to have to go back to the range with this gun soonl

Is this a 4th Gen? If it is you will want to get the 02 recoil spring from Glock. The first few runs of the 4th gen 17s have overpowered recoil springs in them, and weak 115 gr ammo will make the gun stovepipe.

-Mike

Mike, It''s not even getting into the bore. The cartridge seems to faill to go up the ramp into the barrel. That's another reason I thinnk it's a lenght thing......

But those posts on google about problems with 115 grain ammo, and that fact that 20 rounds of 147 WWB HP worked fine, is a tip off.

Like everything, there is a lot to learn about Glock. What always sounded like the perfect gun from all you Glock guys, now has issues with recoil springs, grips, barrels needing soaking in oil etc etc.

Guess none of us is perfect afterall. I'll keep carrying my Smith 640 .357

Last edited:
Like everything, there is a lot to learn about Glock. What always sounded like the perfect gun from all you Glock guys, now has issues with recoil springs, grips, barrels needing soaking in oil etc etc.

You bought a used gun with an unknown history, it doesn't run right and it's a Glock problem? That's almost as crazy as saying M&P's suck. [rofl]

115gr is fine in every 9mm Glock I've tried. Especially when you say your problem is feed hangups not short strokes, I'd almost suspect the mag rather than the gun.

To me, even free-state M&Ps have issues. I bought a free-state M&P45 and it had a mushy reset until I installed an Apex kit. Much better now. I can actually feel and hear where the reset is.

Yes, +1000

I was using an M&P 9 for USPSA/IDPA but got rid of it quick, and back to a Glock 17 simply due to the reset. I think the M&P's are sexy looking guns, but they leave much to be desired with their triggers, unless given a complete APEX over-haul at this point.

You bought a used gun with an unknown history, it doesn't run right and it's a Glock problem? That's almost as crazy as saying M&P's suck. [rofl]

eisenhow[wink] I never said any of those things.

Not a used gun. Never fired, know it's history. Has had night sights and recoil springs and other tweaks done to it. You're right, it's a gunsmith problem *S [rofl]

Far more likely I don't hold it right. I grip my little snubbies pretty good. I never thought of myself as a limp wrister before. Maybe!!![smile]

Well I took the new GLOCK to the range today and watched it constantly hang up and jam on Remington 115 grain FMJ.

After all the talk about how great they are, now I get the joke. All you people already found out they suck, and so you try and lure in people like to a snipe hunt for fools!!

Well ha ha, OK, good joke, I got it. I have a $500 joke sitting in my safe.

I will try it one more time. Maybe with one of you GLOCK guys with me like Boston Asphalt or someone who knows their way around a GLOCK. Find out if it's me, the gun or the ammo.

I've had trouble with the overall length of Remington Green Box 115 Grain FMJ bullets in other guns. Some of my Hi Powers don't like that little bit of length in their magazines.

I'll keep you all informed how it goes.

BY THE WAY.

The new little Kahr .380 that went with us today to the range was making 50 yard shots on the metal gong I brought with any shot I slowed down and tried to hit. It's a real shooter. It too was jamming and choking almost half the time. By the time I put 200 rounds through her like the manual said, it was shooting up a storm with no jams on my final 6 magazines. I will say I think the Kahr is a much more elegant firearm than the big fat Glock.

Flame on gents, my Smith & Wesson's shoot rings around this Glock 17.[wink]

i hate Remington Ammo.

Try different ammo. buy a CZ next time.

If my expectations were high, it was because all you Glock people made me feel like I bought a majic gun.

As for limp wristing.... very possible. I shoot heavy snub revolvers with a nice loose grip. Maybe I've been shooting wheel guns so long long I broke my GLOCK GRIPPER! *S* LOL

I am not even a "Glock person", but I have a G17 that works great. I'd replace the parts that wear, give it a cleaning, and try some different ammo.

Depict - I have a Glock 20 in 10mm with an upgraded (heavy) recoil spring and I don't even have problems when I drop in a .40 S&W barrel and load the Glock 10mm mags up with Winchester Whitebox .40 S&W rounds. While I can almost count between the fire and the return to battery when doing such, it has never failed to feed, fire or eject, even in that extreme case.

As several people have mentioned (especially if it's used)

1) Remove the Magazine and clear the chamber, then verify an empty chamber. Now very slow draw the slide all the way back and then slowly slide it all the way forward. (I find closing my eyes makes my feel a little more sensitive) - Did anything feel "gritty" or hang-up? Did it return to battery lock? - If yes, try cleanign the slide and frame rails and repeating
2) remove all of the round from a magainze. Verify empty magainze and then insert it into the grip. Draw the slide all the way back slowly again, then slide it forward again. Anything hang up or feel gritty?
3) Holding the slide, press the slide release and slowly allow the slide to come forward over the magazine. Again, you're looking for any kind of hang-up or grit caused by the interface with the magazine.
4) Remove the magainze and look the feed-lips over for dings, dents, or inconsistant bends. If someone has dropped the magazine on its feed-lips or tried pushing them down, they'll feed the rounds low out of the magazine, which can catch on the feed-ramp or the lip of the magazine, both of which will cause failure to feeds
5) With the gun pointed in a safe direction in a location that it is legal to fire, with your finger out of the trigger guard: load a round of the failing ammunition into the magazine. Draw the slide back all the way and slowly let it draw forward, stripping the round out of the magazine and into the chamber. Draw the slide back again to clear the chamber Did it hang up while stripping a round? feel gritty? go fully into battery? It wasn't on a glock, but I've seen poorly crimped ammunition case mouths "hang" on the bottom of a feed ramp.
6) With the gun pointed in a safe direction in a location that it is legal to fire, with your finger out of the trigger guard: load 2 rounds of the failing ammunitoin into the magazine and repeat the above test (rack the slide twice at the end to clear both rounds of ammunition) If the feed lips are bent UP a second round may be sitting a little high in the magazine and the slide may catch on the top of the head of the case of the second round. You can repeat this with 3 rounds as well to see if the offset of the staggered loading is affecting the feed clearance as well.

You can also put a little carbon black or sharpie market on the round you're feeding to high-light any contact points during the feed process.

To me, even free-state M&Ps have issues. I bought a free-state M&P45 and it had a mushy reset until I installed an Apex kit. Much better now. I can actually feel and hear where the reset is.

Not trying to drift this thread further astray or cause a 3rd glock vs M&P thread to be locked in day but...

I have an APEX RAM in one of my M&Ps (a 9L dedicated to competition with an APEX comp kit in it). I chrono'd a bunch of loads last weekend and the comparison was dramatic going from my full size with a LaRocca trigger and it. The reset was much crisper and much more pronounced. However, after shooting it in an IDPA or USPSA match and I'd be like "what reset?". If you're actually shooting it at speed you don't really notice the difference.

If you give me $200 I will dispose of it properly for you.

Not trying to drift this thread further astray or cause a 3rd glock vs M&P thread to be locked in day but...

I have an APEX RAM in one of my M&Ps (a 9L dedicated to competition with an APEX comp kit in it). I chrono'd a bunch of loads last weekend and the comparison was dramatic going from my full size with a LaRocca trigger and it. The reset was much crisper and much more pronounced. However, after shooting it in an IDPA or USPSA match and I'd be like "what reset?". If you're actually shooting it at speed you don't really notice the difference.

That's a good point. I was only thinking about it on the range.

The only time I've had a Glock jam is when I put a 9mm conversion bbl in my G22, and I fired it one handed. As soon as I switched to a proper grip, it was running again. I hook the front of the trigger guard with my weak-hand index finger, with both my thumbs forward.

[ Thread Hijack ]

I was wondering.. is that considered an unusual or incorrect grip? Because I much prefer to hook the weak-hand index figger on the front of the trigger gaurd on m P226. Heck, there's even serrations there that seem purposely placed for just this kind of a grip.

I feel like it really stabilizes my grip and allows me to hold the gun without undue pressure. It also feels like I can control the gun recoil and reacquire the target quicker.

Thoughts?

[ /Thread Hijack ]

[ Thread Hijack ]

I was wondering.. is that considered an unusual or incorrect grip? Because I much prefer to hook the weak-hand index figger on the front of the trigger gaurd on m P226. Heck, there's even serrations there that seem purposely placed for just this kind of a grip.

I feel like it really stabilizes my grip and allows me to hold the gun without undue pressure. It also feels like I can control the gun recoil and reacquire the target quicker.

Thoughts?

[ /Thread Hijack ]

Almost everyone I know shoots like I do. AFAIK, it's something that originated in 'tactical'/defensive shooting competitions, but it works, and it works well.

[ Thread Hijack ]

Thoughts?

[ /Thread Hijack ]

The serrations are there just for that purpose, as you assumed.

There is nothing "wrong" with that grip. It is not "incorrect".

That said, there are likely better ways, and getting someone to show you a good solid high thumbs forward grip will likely shake you of the habit. But a good bit of it depends on your own anatomy as well.

I was told that with your finger on the front of the trigger guard you could end up pulling in the direction of your off hand... true? not true? needs more practice to not do it?

I was told that with your finger on the front of the trigger guard you could end up pulling in the direction of your off hand... true? not true? needs more practice to not do it?

I've never experienced it myself, but if that does happen to you, I suspect practice/training would be the solution.

Back
Top Bottom