Old Beater Swede- How Will it Shoot?

Last edited:
A wonderful video.
My M96 is near mint condition. When people lay eyes on it they think it's a brand new rifle. Nothng beats the old Milsurps.

Now knowing how well these can shoot, I wish mine were in better condition. Definitely the been there, done that look. At least it was a cheap way to try out a Swede.

Picked up both my Swedes at local GS about 6mos. apart. They have had a couple beauties but the first to see them buys them. I'm always late and now that I'm no longer employed
way more than a dollar short...:(

Paid $500 for mine 5 years ago...they want $800 for that 1900 Gustav M96. Don't know how many they made that early, but Obendorf helped them out making them for Sweden in 1899 and 1900.

t

you need to find the match sights check out minute 2:10

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK8dE5-erUg

I recently got a Swede 96 and was looking at those target sights. But those diopeters in the rear require you to drill and tap your receiver right? Not sure if I want to do that to my rifle... Maybe I just need to get a second one that already has the sights on :D

I've got a B-Square #18532 scope mount that goes under the sight leaf; for the m1896 only. I don't believe any modifications are required.
Since my m1896 has a bubba'd scope mount already, I don't really need this better mount; I'd consider selling it.

Attachments

• IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 4
I've got a B-Square #18532 scope mount that goes under the sight leaf; for the m1896 only. I don't believe any modifications are required.
Since my m1896 has a bubba'd scope mount already, I don't really need this better mount; I'd consider selling it.

If Obi2 isn't interested, my 67yo eyes certainly are...

Here's a couple pictures of me Swede. It is i hear talk like a Pirate day. Enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 13
No that is for hold over if i remember right.

SwedishEnglish
TorpedBullet with boat tail (also means "torpedo")
Överslag"Point of impact over line of sight" (also means "estimate")
STR = StreckMills (1 Swedish mill = 1 meter at 1000 meters = 3,6" at 100 yds)
The largest sector is stamped with the calibre of the barrel.
The m/41 round had a much flatter trajectory than the older m/94. As most rifles were already manufactured with iron sights for the "m/94 bullet", the aiming correction in mills (how much lower you had to aim to hit the target) was inscribed on the brass disc. This is the information in the second sector. It was usually 0,5 mill.

The last sector gives information on the level of bore pitting. 1 means pitting in the groves. 2 means pitting in the groves and on the side of the lands. 3 means pitting in the whole bore (= unserviceable). A rifle would never receive a 3, it would instead be turned in to a work shop, where the old barrel would be exchanged for a new one.

It means roughly "Spitzer Bullets, Impact above point". Meaning how high above the aiming point at 100 in decimeters (10 centimeters) the bullet will impact (with standard military load). That disc isn't marked with a number, so it should shoot to point of aim.

Ive got a couple really nice ones. Someone bent the bolt on one of them so it might be a good candidate for a m41b sniper clone. Majspud I think we might shop at the same lgs!

Don't think I've seen a M96 at my LGS. They did however just acquire a collection of 20 black powder military rifles....1811 Harper's Ferry M95 through Civil War

t

Although many months back, I saw a m94 at Ron's Guns in East Lyme, CT.
Come to think of it, there was an Oberndorf-made Mauser there at one time, too.
Don't recall if it was a 96 or 38.

M&B (North Stonington) had a couple 96's, but they weren't there last time I looked. These had the target sights.

Mine has a 2x EER scope (altered rear sight base and no original rear sight), but it's a fun shooter especially with economical cast/coated bullet loads.

Attachments

• d1216aec6e6de841baaedc97ed627939.jpg
    d1216aec6e6de841baaedc97ed627939.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 160g(3).jpg
    160g(3).jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 13
  • P6260020.JPG
    P6260020.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
No that is for hold over if i remember right.

SwedishEnglish
TorpedBullet with boat tail (also means "torpedo")
Överslag"Point of impact over line of sight" (also means "estimate")
STR = StreckMills (1 Swedish mill = 1 meter at 1000 meters = 3,6" at 100 yds)
The largest sector is stamped with the calibre of the barrel.
The m/41 round had a much flatter trajectory than the older m/94. As most rifles were already manufactured with iron sights for the "m/94 bullet", the aiming correction in mills (how much lower you had to aim to hit the target) was inscribed on the brass disc. This is the information in the second sector. It was usually 0,5 mill.

The last sector gives information on the level of bore pitting. 1 means pitting in the groves. 2 means pitting in the groves and on the side of the lands. 3 means pitting in the whole bore (= unserviceable). A rifle would never receive a 3, it would instead be turned in to a work shop, where the old barrel would be exchanged for a new one.
You really can't go by the disc,because you don't know if it has been replaced.

Yep, I believe my disc is a '3', yet the hardware is still all matching. Need to look closer to see if there's anything indicating a matching or mismatched stock. Disc could still be a replacement. It shoots well, regardless of whether or not the Swedes considered this particular barrel 'unserviceable'. Bore shows a little wear but with a bright bore light does not appear to be pitted to the naked eye.

Lucked out with my +1.5 front sight today. Was centered well enough to be on paper for a SR1 center and first tap with the tack hammer had it directly on center. Starting elevation too low, first notch up too high. Temporarily stacked some pasters to get it approx 200 yard center, about 1-7/8" high of the SR1 'X'.

Gave my rifle a good cleaning. Dont think the barrel has seen a good scrub since the 1920s
They must have used a good alloy on these as there is very very little rust even on the worn parts.
Recoil plate is the only "rough" part. Not bad for 107 years old.
Pulled the stock and its matching serial number was in the beddng area. What we dont know is if the disc is original to the rifle? I dont see a serial number on it. i dont dare remove mine the wood has shrunk around it well enough.
Gave it a good wipe down and cleaned the trigger group. Its a nice 4.75lb pull. Like all my other rifles.

Last edited:
Yep, I believe my disc is a '3', yet the hardware is still all matching. Need to look closer to see if there's anything indicating a matching or mismatched stock. Disc could still be a replacement. It shoots well, regardless of whether or not the Swedes considered this particular barrel 'unserviceable'. Bore shows a little wear but with a bright bore light does not appear to be pitted to the naked eye.

Lucked out with my +1.5 front sight today. Was centered well enough to be on paper for a SR1 center and first tap with the tack hammer had it directly on center. Starting elevation too low, first notch up too high. Temporarily stacked some pasters to get it approx 200 yard center, about 1-7/8" high of the SR1 'X'.
does your disc have a Torped setting? Is your front sight stamped with a T ?
I did a before Bore video but for some reason its not working. I did 2 rounds of gunslick foaming bore cleaner finishing with a good brushing. Followed up with 2 soaks of Montana Extreme Copper Killer. Then some kroil and a tight brush to try and get some of the remaining crusties out. I will let it sit over night with the kroil and then give it another scrub....then shoot it!
For 107 years old its not terrible compared to some barrels I have stuck this cheap bore scope into.
THe patches are from right to left

1st is after the 2nd deep soak of the Gunslick foam and brushing. the rest are from the copper killer soak and scrub. The last copper solvent patch went through and showed little copper so think its good enough.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yenF0lqb4Y&feature=youtu.be

does your disc have a Torped setting? Is your front sight stamped with a T ?
I did a before Bore video but for some reason its not working. I did 2 rounds of gunslick foaming bore cleaner finishing with a good brushing. Followed up with 2 soaks of Montana Extreme Copper Killer. Then some kroil and a tight brush to try and get some of the remaining crusties out. I will let it sit over night with the kroil and then give it another scrub....then shoot it!
For 107 years old its not terrible compared to some barrels I have stuck this cheap bore scope into.
THe patches are from right to left

1st is after the 2nd deep soak of the Gunslick foam and brushing. the rest are from the copper killer soak and scrub. The last copper solvent patch went through and showed little copper so think its good enough.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yenF0lqb4Y&feature=youtu.be

I have that replacement front sight on there now. I'd have to look at the original.

That bore looks pretty good. I read that the Swedes had excellent steel.

I have that replacement front sight on there now. I'd have to look at the original.

That bore looks pretty good. I read that the Swedes had excellent steel.
Ah the benefits of a cheap bore scope! A good 90' view is what you really need.
Eager to see how it shoots. Minute of SR 10 ring would be nice. i was hoping this one would have been D&T'd for the match sight already. Maybe sneak out over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom