• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old guns in Iraq

Interesting article here. Have any of our Vets here come across something like this?

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,137040,00.html

article @ military.com said:
Rifles etched with the Nazi eagle and swastika, Tommy guns seemingly straight out of black and white gangster movies, and a British Sterling submachine gun familiar to any World War II enthusiast have been found among the weapons troves of insurgents. The weapons, often preserved in their hiding places in motor oil, are discovered in perfect working order, a startling incongruence to their surroundings in Iraq and modern warfare.

I bet theres alot of as NIB french firearms there too [rofl]..........Damn frenchies! causing all that death. No I do not doubt it though.

funny thing is ... last year when I was at Taji on an overnight for a CST mission... I climbed out of the back of the Mrap and LITERALLY stepped on an old, beat to hell russian revolver... It had been pretty well flattened but it was still enough to see it was russian, very old, and a revolver... the grips were gone, and most of the guts were missing too.. but the cylinder, hammer, and trigger were all still in place... it was rusted to hell and junk.. but it was kinda neat to step on something like that in a parkinglot on a big base...

WW2 era weapons were common in Kosovo. The SS gave the Albanians their own Waffen SS division to beat on the Serbians with. Stuff like MG42's and K98's where seen around.

Back
Top Bottom