Old NCX-5

Last year I picked up an old National NCX-5 for $20. It turns on and everything. What is the least expensive way to test it and see if it will receive? It didnt come with a microphone so I need to pick up one of those as well. Any thoughts on a decent one? Comms are probably my weakest link right now as all I have is CB and marine band. Hope to change that this spring and get my license.

Do you have some coax? If not, connect some wire to the antenna connection and try to recieve something.

That's a nice rig (for it's time). You can't go wrong with the price.

I forget if that radio had a built in speaker, or if it requires and external speaker. Just keep this in mind if you plug it in and don't hear anything. You should at least hear some static if it has a speaker. If not, look for an external speaker connector/jack.

It has seperate speaker which was included. The thing is ancient it is way older than me. I will try to attach some coax to it and see if I get anything. A friend gave me a dipole antenna kit that I can try also. Is night better than day to try?

important with old tube radios to turn on using a variac. The inrush current of just hitting the switch can blow transformers with weak resin insulation and most importantly the capacitors. Can also blow filaments in tubes. (why normal lightbulbs blow) You slowly raise the voltage while watching the current flow. Current should be lower than the rating on the radio when at full voltage. (115V) Any quick raise in current, shut it off. Something is not right and possbily shorted.
Should use this method a few times when turning on.

Daytime you want to try 20 meters, and maybe 15, they'll be active then. Nightime, try 40 and 80 meters. I'm trying to see a good shot on the images I Google, but can't, so, if there's a control on there called "Preselector", you turn that to peak the noise in the speaker for the band you're on.

important with old tube radios to turn on using a variac. The inrush current of just hitting the switch can blow transformers with weak resin insulation and most importantly the capacitors. Can also blow filaments in tubes. (why normal lightbulbs blow) You slowly raise the voltage while watching the current flow. Current should be lower than the rating on the radio when at full voltage. (115V) Any quick raise in current, shut it off. Something is not right and possbily shorted.
Should use this method a few times when turning on.

Too late, I think he mentioned it's been turned on.

Back
Top Bottom