• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old powder

Curious about something - I figure one of the experienced reloading gurus here might have some insight.

Broke a powder hopper a while back, and spilled maybe 1/8 - 1/4lb of Titegroup. It was mostly contained in a shoebox when I removed the powder dump, thrown in a small cardboard box until I got around to tossing it (the stuff that hit the bench or press is long since gone, this is 'uncontaminated'.

Doing some spring cleaning, realized I never threw it away. What are the chances this powder is still usable? Goes without saying I wouldn't use it for ammo that 'really matters', but is it wrecked, or worth trying under some lead HBWC's for .38 plinking rounds? (I have an obnoxious amount of a few different wadcutters. Ammo cans full.)

Definitely hasn't been airtight, and I live about 500 yards from the ocean, so it is humid on occasion.

Well you could load some up and try or fertilize your garden. I prefer to just bring it to the fire pit and light it up........ I did some pull down powder from some questionable reloads from an estate. Burned some very interesting yellow and red flames.

If 1/8 pound of Titegroup is worth $3.50, how much of your time and components are you willing to use to find out that you can make some random 38 shit that you're probably never going to duplicate?

If 1/8 pound of Titegroup is worth $3.50, how much of your time and components are you willing to use to find out that you can make some random 38 shit that you're probably never going to duplicate?

Reasonable point.

It's been raining here, I've been that bored.

More of a curiosity thing. If old powder is almost always garbage, then I know it isn't worth trying. If it's a 'probably still work', then I'd kill twenty minutes loading a few up to see if they would. Found it cleaning out the bench and it just made me wonder. I tend to think too much when I'm bored.

All in all, though, you raise a good point - for the price of a tray of primers, it's probably not worth the time I could be spending loading known-good (or probably-good, so I don't misrepresent my own abilities) ammo.

I think I'll wait until dark and light it on fire to see what happens instead. Probably be way more amusing than a dozen rounds of misfires or squibs.

Ever try loading rat shot? I stamp out cardboard wads from the backing of notepads for 38sp cases. I put a medium load of powder into a primed case and push a card wad onto the powder. Then I drop #8 shot into the case until it is just below the top of the case. I put an other card on top and put a little pressure on it. Crimp the case and seal it with a little bit of Elmer's glue. If you only have enough powder to do a dozen or so cartridges it is a fun way to do something different reloading and shooting.

Reasonable point.

It's been raining here, I've been that bored.

More of a curiosity thing. If old powder is almost always garbage, then I know it isn't worth trying. If it's a 'probably still work', then I'd kill twenty minutes loading a few up to see if they would. Found it cleaning out the bench and it just made me wonder. I tend to think too much when I'm bored.

All in all, though, you raise a good point - for the price of a tray of primers, it's probably not worth the time I could be spending loading known-good (or probably-good, so I don't misrepresent my own abilities) ammo.

I think I'll wait until dark and light it on fire to see what happens instead. Probably be way more amusing than a dozen rounds of misfires or squibs.

If it had been stored correctly it could be fine. I have some Herco from the 80s that was sealed up until 8 years ago. I loaded it up for shotgun and it worked fine.
Also I will toss this out there. If you forgot about it being there can you be sure it's the powder you think it is.

Back
Top Bottom