Old SxS Shotgun ID

slap shot

NES Member
A friend showed me 2 of his grandfather's side by sides the other day. Both in nice shape but he was wondering if he should be concerned about using them due to age. I took a few pics, maybe some experts can weigh in.

first is a Bellmore 12 gauge. I never heard of this brand...

IMG_0563.jpgIMG_0564.jpgIMG_0565.jpgIMG_0566.jpg

The other is a Springfield (J.Stevens?) 16 gauge made right there in good old Chicopee Falls...

IMG_0567.jpgIMG_0568.jpgIMG_0569.jpgIMG_0570.jpg

thanks for looking

If your friend's primary concern is safety, he should have them inspected by a gunsmith who knows double guns. A gunsmith would also likely know where to find parts (besides the obvious stuff like Numrich) and what are common wear parts.

No idea about the first one, but here's what I can say about the Stevens. The Stevens was made sometime between 1931 and 1948. 2 3/4" 16-gauge shotgun shells came out around the start of the 1930s, such as when Remington introduced it in 1931 with their semi-autos. Winchester likewise introduced 2 3/4" 16-gauge in 1931 with the Model 12 and I think also the Model 1897. The Stevens model name "Springfield" went away in 1948, when that same gun was re-named the Stevens 311.

Taking the guns to a gunsmith would also allow your friend to figure out what the chokes are. Someone could've opened up the chokes in the years since the guns were made. So, the choke wouldn't be what it says to be on the barrel. For example, I bought a Winchester Model 12 recently. The barrel said "MOD" and the seller thought the choke was Improved Modified. Come to find out, the choke was actually Skeet.

A gunsmith could also install choke tubes if someone's already messed with the choke and your friend's trying to get more practical use.

I mentioned a gunsmith. He used to hunt quite a bit many years ago and he knew the chokes. These are single family owned and not messed with according the him. Thanks for the reply.

read the first reply on this thread: Shotgunworld.com • bellmore gun co.

note this part: Now for a caution about attempting to shoot the gun. These old guns were designed and made to use the ammunition in use when they were made which was 2 1/2 inch shot shells loaded with either black powder and just maybe early low pressure smokeless powder, and lead shot and some have damascus barrels. They were not designed or made to shoot more modern and longer shells (2 9/16 or 2 3/4 inch) loaded with later smokeless powder, steel shot or solid slugs and certainly not modern 3 inch magnum shells loaded with high pressure smokeless powder, steel shot or slugs. Since I can';t see you gun to determine its condition, I must advise you not to attempt to shoot it.

note this part: Now for a caution about attempting to shoot the gun. These old guns were designed and made to use the ammunition in use when they were made which was 2 1/2 inch shot shells loaded with either black powder and just maybe early low pressure smokeless powder, and lead shot and some have damascus barrels. They were not designed or made to shoot more modern and longer shells (2 9/16 or 2 3/4 inch) loaded with later smokeless powder, steel shot or solid slugs and certainly not modern 3 inch magnum shells loaded with high pressure smokeless powder, steel shot or slugs. Since I can';t see you gun to determine its condition, I must advise you not to attempt to shoot it.

very interesting story on these, I’ll advise he not shoot the Bellmore

I mentioned a gunsmith. He used to hunt quite a bit many years ago and he knew the chokes. These are single family owned and not messed with according the him. Thanks for the reply.

If he changes his mind about not going to a gunsmith, Cole's in Maine knows side-by-sides pretty well. They primarily specialize in Italian guns, but when I went there a few years ago, they mentioned that they get a fair amount of business from locals:

https://colegun.com/gunsmithing/

Here's more specific info on the Crescent Fire Arms Company, seems to be a sticky thread on ShotgunWorld:

Shotgunworld.com • Folsom, Crescent, American Gun Co. & Tradename Information

There is a modern company that makes low pressure shells for guns like that Bellmore. I have shot some them in an old Holland that was converted from 2 1/2 to 2 3/4. If you are local to Billerica or Somerville, I’ll give you some to try.

Dave

There is a modern company that makes low pressure shells for guns like that Bellmore. I have shot some them in an old Holland that was converted from 2 1/2 to 2 3/4. If you are local to Billerica or Somerville, I’ll give you some to try.

Dave

RST or someone else?

Back
Top Bottom