Ole Joe explaining why the ar is so scary

I suspect 22K in a 55gr bullet would do similar. Resistance increases exponentially.
Getting back to the original topic of "Vaporizing", I suspect 22k in a 55gr bullet would spin the jacket right off the core, a thin copper jacket can also spaghettify downrange if the twist rate pushes it north of 250,000 RPM

I know we make fun of it, but a sizable portion of the population thinks that Biden knows what he is talking about and only states facts. Hell, a sizable portion of the population puts politicians on pedestals as well, we are f'd lol
A sizable portion of the country should only be trusted with spoons and wear nice snug canvas overcoats.
1662118475995.png

Getting back to the original topic of "Vaporizing", I suspect 22k in a 55gr bullet would spin the jacket right off the core, a thin copper jacket can also spaghettify downrange if the twist rate pushes it north of 250,000 RPM
I tried cooking up some .223 varmint loads for a heavy barrel AR. 40 and 50 grain pills pushed hard. By about 50 yards they would go 'bang' and the bullets would disintegrate. Seems that a 1:7 twist rate and 3700 fps are not well matched and 380,000 rpm is a little rough on bullets [rofl] .

I tried cooking up some .223 varmint loads for a heavy barrel AR. 40 and 50 grain pills pushed hard. By about 50 yards they would go 'bang' and the bullets would disintegrate. Seems that a 1:7 twist rate and 3700 fps are not well matched and 380,000 rpm is a little rough on bullets [rofl] .
Make that distance repeatable and you'd have a new twist on frangible safety slugs

A buddy of mine and I did a trip PD hunting in Montana years ago. He was working up a load for his new .220 Swift. He was using one of those polymer tipped Hornady bullets. At a certain point, his accuracy went to crap.

He calls Hornady. "Yeah, I get it to (I forget the speed - 4200fps???) and there are no signs of pressure but the accuracy drops off and I'm key holing a few shots."

"Yeah, at that speed, you're driving the polymer tip into the bullet, messing up your aerodynamics. Back it off under 4,000 and you'll be fine. That's the top end."

I suspect 22K in a 55gr bullet would do similar. Resistance increases exponentially.
Doesn't matter. A 55gr bullet at 22K fps would be a waste, the bullet would go through someone probably not causing a lot of damage. That is the opposite of what you want.

Back
Top Bottom