• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Olympic shooting in The Wall Street Journal

In today's Wall Street Journal, article plus reader comments, http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-stigmatized-olympians-1460673461?mod=trending_now_3#livefyre-comment.

The Stigmatized Olympians

USA Shooting, which used to be run by the NRA, remains shrouded in controversy—despite winning numerous gold medals at the Games

BN-NO411_SHOOTI_J_20160414183027.jpg

American Kim Rhode ejecting a spent cartridge during qualifiers for the women's trap event, at the 2012 Summer Olympics. Photo: Getty Images

By Kevin Helliker, The Wall Street Journal

Updated April 14, 2016 7:30 p.m. ET

Kim Rhode is hoping to win an Olympic medal in Rio this summer, as she did at each of the preceding five Summer Games. That would make her the first American ever to win a medal at six different Olympics. Swimmer Michael Phelps has climbed the podium at only three.

If Rhode stands relatively anonymously on the cusp of American Olympic history, that’s because her sport is less popular than swimming, and lots more controversial. She shoots a shotgun. At the London Games, which started days after a mass shooting at a movie theater in Colorado, Rhode and other Team USA shooters received anonymous online death threats, requiring additional security.

“Our sport has an unfortunate stigma attached to it,” says Rhode, a 36-year-old Southern Californian. Following December’s deadly shooting rampage in nearby San Bernardino, the media sought out comment from Rhode, who expressed sorrow for the victims and support for gun rights. Why should that crime have placed her in the spotlight? she asks: “You don’t hear them asking Nascar drivers to comment on crimes involving cars.”

The very thing that makes shooting the most controversial Olympic sport—its use of guns—also provides a strong base of support. When Rhode visits Cabela’s, CAB 0.87 % the outdoors sporting-goods retailer, mobs of fans seek her autograph. Along with Winchester, Beretta and several other firearms-related concerns, Cabela’s sponsors Rhode. “Compared with other sports, we have a massive industry behind us,” says Rhode, a wife and mother who says she’s the “primary breadwinner.”

In a nation vibrant with bird hunters, Rhode stands apart for her accuracy at shooting fast-flying objects. In practice, if she nails only 24 out of 25 so-called clay pigeons, she’s upset with herself. Her Olympic prizes consist of a bronze, a silver and three gold medals. To win a spot in Rio, she must finish first in points after next month’s Olympic shooting trials, which she enters with a significant lead. Another female shotgun shooter, 22-year-old Morgan Craft, already holds a spot in Rio, thanks to her first-place finish at last year’s world championships.

BN-NO388_SHOOTI_FR_20160414180034.jpg

Lones Wigger, who was a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army, won a gold medal in 50-meter rifle at the 1964 Games in Tokyo. Photo: ASSOCIATED PRESS

American gold medalists in shooting are no more anonymous than those in equestrian, canoeing and badminton. But they’re a lot more numerous. Shooters have won more gold medals for the U.S. than has every other type of Summer Olympics athlete except for swimmers and track-and-field members. In the total medal count, shooters rank sixth in the U.S. behind boxing, wrestling, diving, swimming and track and field. In Rio, the sport’s governing body, USA Shooting, hopes to top its performance in London, where it won a bronze and three gold medals.

Compared with the three gold medals that USA Gymnastics won in London, that trio of shooting gold medals produced a feeble bang. In an age of random and deadly firearm sprees in the U.S., many Americans are reluctant to celebrate sporting triumphs achieved with a gun. Many also are blind to the discipline and skill required, as well as the joy that elite marksmanship can stir. On a recent flight, when Robert Mitchell identified himself as executive director of USA Shooting, the woman seated beside him said, “‘So you teach people how to hold up 7-Elevens,’” he recalls, adding that the ensuing conversation left her with a newfound appreciation for the sport.

Ambivalence about Olympic shooters would likely run even deeper if their governing body were still the National Rifle Association, as it was before the founding of USA Shooting in the mid-1990s. The bylaws of USA Shooting prohibit it from taking positions in political debates involving guns, said Mitchell. But the governing body has had to negotiate special allowances with the Transportation Security Administration so that its athletes can fly to competitions with cylinders that otherwise would be prohibited.

BN-NO386_SHOOTI_P_20160414175911.jpg

Margaret Murdock, a silver medalist at the 1976 Olympics, loading her rifle at the World Shooting Championships in 1970. Photo: ASSOCIATED PRESS

Also, some states have enacted assault-weapon restrictions that encompass a highly specialized 22-caliber Olympics sport pistol, making it impossible for competitors to train, let alone compete, in those states. Nathalia Granados, a former Colombian shooter who last year became an American citizen, now lives with her husband in New York, where she can’t own the pistol she needs to compete in the 25-meter event. Little wonder that she has failed to make the U.S. Olympic team headed to Rio, she says. “If a tennis player doesn’t have their racket, it wouldn’t be the same as training with their racket,” she says.

Despite the success of U.S. shooters, only one has been voted into the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame, whose members are selected by athletes, historians and others. Lones Wigger, a two-time gold medalist rifleman, calls his election to the hall “a token thing. We have several other people who ought to be in consideration. But guns are political.”

“Shooting is controversial in the United States, because of liberals badmouthing it,” says Margaret Murdock, a former military shooter who won an Olympic silver medal competing against men at the 1976 Olympics, eight years before women’s shooting was introduced at the Games.

Outside the hunting, firearms and outdoors industries, sponsors of shooting are hard to come by, says Mitchell, the USA Shooting executive director. Executives of other companies will say, “‘I’ll be glad to cut you a check myself, but my firm, I can’t do that,’” says Mitchell.

Sports agent Patrick Quinn says, “My personal views on guns skewed to the negative” until a friend at Nike Inc. NKE 0.02 % recommended that he represent Rhode. “Working with Kim and seeing what good people shooters are has made me look differently at the whole issue of guns,” says Quinn, a partner at Chicago Sports & Entertainment Partners. The problem, he says, “isn’t necessarily the guns.”

Quinn says it doesn’t bother him that Rhode is a hard sell to companies outside the shooting industry. “It’s a giant industry, and she’s a big fish in that pond,” he says.

Last edited:
Sports agent Patrick Quinn says, “My personal views on guns skewed to the negative” until a friend at Nike Inc. NKE 0.02 % recommended that he represent Rhode. “Working with Kim and seeing what good people shooters are has made me look differently at the whole issue of guns,” says Quinn, a partner at Chicago Sports & Entertainment Partners. The problem, he says, “isn’t necessarily the guns.”

Dawn breaks over Marblehead. I'm glad that he got it, it just blows me away that so very many others don't get, or refuse to get, this basic fact.

Good read, thanks.

It's only obscure because the Liberal fellating media makes it obscure.

Sadly, this is one of the reasons I think the shooting sports' days are numbered in the Olympics. Not that the Olympics themselves are long for this world but that's a different topic.

The problem isn't the guns at all. They're an inanimate object.

Dawn breaks over Marblehead. I'm glad that he got it, it just blows me away that so very many others don't get, or refuse to get, this basic fact.

Good read, thanks.

Last edited:
Meh.. a sport needs to have an offense and defense with at least 2 opposing teams playing at the same time. Basketball, hockey, football, even ping pong. Sorry golf, shooting, and cheerleading... They are competitions or games, not sports. But not being a SPORT does not take away from the skill needed to participate in those activities. Sport is just a word.

Meh.. a sport needs to have an offense and defense with at least 2 opposing teams playing at the same time. Basketball, hockey, football, even ping pong. Sorry golf, shooting, and cheerleading... They are competitions or games, not sports. But not being a SPORT does not take away from the skill needed to participate in those activities. Sport is just a word.

There are plenty of other "non-sports" in the Olympics, using your definition... done by athletes who would put the vast majority (if not all) of us here to shame in ability.

[thinking]

USA Shooting Team?

By your measure, Olympic skiing is not a sport- yet WWE tag team wrestling is a sport. Potayto potahto...

I'm just happy to see a thoughtful WSJ article that more or less makes the moonbats look as stupid as they truly are. Also nice to note that Nike seems to be gun sports friendly. Yes, I said 'sports', LOL.

[thinking]

USA Shooting Team?

By your measure, Olympic skiing is not a sport- yet WWE tag team wrestling is a sport. Potayto potahto...

I'm just happy to see a thoughtful WSJ article that more or less makes the moonbats look as stupid as they truly are. Also nice to note that Nike seems to be gun sports friendly. Yes, I said 'sports', LOL.

WWF is theatrical. There is no real competition there. I should have said competition is needed to be a sport too.

Skiing, swimming, track & field, etc. Are not considered sports because they have no offense and defense?

But the governing body has had to negotiate special allowances with the Transportation Security Administration so that its athletes can fly to competitions with cylinders that otherwise would be prohibited.
What cylinders are these? Are they talking about letting Olympians take their choke tubes in carry on luggage/

The UIT (the international body that governs Olympic shooting) is not a friend of gun rights. When IPSC petitioned to become and Olympic sport, the UIT head (a German) issued a fatwa that Olympic shooters are not to participate in IPSC, and any region electing an IPSC member as its representative to the UIT would be de-affiliated. He also said that IPSC was just a bunch of people seeking an excuse to keep their 45s that should be turned into their government.

So sports MUST be team events? Nothing individual can possibly be a sport?

nice troll.

Merriam-Webster would disagree with you.

This is like those people who say the "civilian vs. non-civilian" is invalid when applied to police/peons, despite the fact that Webster considers that one valid definition.

traditionally, isn't air pistol the first event at the summer Olympics?

I guess by dragonballzz's definition it could be a boring Olympics, both summer and winter. just water polo, field hockey and in winter, ice hockey.

What cylinders are these? Are they talking about letting Olympians take their choke tubes in carry on luggage/

The UIT (the international body that governs Olympic shooting) is not a friend of gun rights. When IPSC petitioned to become and Olympic sport, the UIT head (a German) issued a fatwa that Olympic shooters are not to participate in IPSC, and any region electing an IPSC member as its representative to the UIT would be de-affiliated. He also said that IPSC was just a bunch of people seeking an excuse to keep their 45s that should be turned into their government.

I'm guessing cylinders would be for air rifle / pistol.

UIT head sounds like a real DB.

UIT head sounds like a real DB.
That is an understatement

Quoting from http://www.vpc.org/studies/goldfive.htm

In an interview for this report, ISSF Secretary General Horst G. Schreiber explained his group's reaction to the IPSC:

They have approached us once, but we said we are not cooperating with them. We want nothing to do with them. The black sheriffs [security guards], the bodyguards�they're all members of this practical shooting. We want none of them in our group....It is not a sport. I think it's a camouflage for those who are supposed to deliver their high-power .45 pistols to the government, and they [seek to] find some sort of a legal possibility to keep possession of their revolvers or pistols.[SUP]62[/SUP]

Good read, thanks.

This is exactly why they want a stigma attached the sport. More gun ownership creates political problems for those in power. Seeing this sport and getting involved in this sport in the Olympics opens people up to the truth. Those in power can not have that. Period. I expect to see this sport go the way of the dodo before long...

Merriam-Webster would disagree with you.

This is like those people who say the "civilian vs. non-civilian" is invalid when applied to police/peons, despite the fact that Webster considers that one valid definition.

Both, Merriam and Webster, are stupid poopy heads. [emoji90]

traditionally, isn't air pistol the first event at the summer Olympics?

I guess by dragonballzz's definition it could be a boring Olympics, both summer and winter. just water polo, field hockey and in winter, ice hockey.

I'm sure he loves badminton, too. And handball. And chess is more of a sport than kayaking.

Got it.

Chess is not an athletic competition.

Offense? Defense? Two opponents playing simultaneously? That's your definition, not mine. And they did used to give out chess medals in the Olympics until about 1908; the IOC still calls it a"sport." Unlike kayaking or marathon, which you seem to have no time for.

Don't get bitter. You're the one that opened this silly can of worms.

Offense? Defense? Two opponents playing simultaneously? That's your definition, not mine. And they did used to give out chess medals in the Olympics until about 1908; the IOC still calls it a"sport." Unlike kayaking or marathon, which you seem to have no time for.

Don't get bitter. You're the one that opened this silly can of worms.

An athletic competition AND an offense and defense played simultaneously. Everybody knows it. Look it up in the Dragon-Ballzz Unabridged English Dictionary.

You people seem to think that an activity not being a sport somehow makes it a lesser activity. It does not.

Back
Top Bottom