Omega AR-12?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

I was in my local FFL today and he has an Omega AR-12 that he can't get to work. Gun has issues with the gas system and piston ring. He knows I like projects, so he's offering me the gun for $100. Here's what I want to know:

(1) Is there anyone who works on these? Importer was LKCI, LLC out of NJ. "Nevark, Ohio", which should be "Newark, Ohio."
(2) Are these any good when they run properly?
(3) These use 5+1 and 10+1 mags, correct? Are bigger mags available?
(4) How do these compare to VR80s?

And just to be clear, I'm not in Mass, so no need to discuss Mass legalities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: I got a copy of the owner's manual and the warranty extends from one year from time of purchase.

Generic gas system checklist-

Restriction in a gas tube or line? Fouling?

Weak loads?

Does it have a gas adjuster like an M1A or some kind of "bleed off" device?

Piston ring (or rings) broken or gaped incorrectly?

Scoring that would allow blow-by?

Don't own one, but gas systems in anything are pretty simple

Generic gas system checklist-

Restriction in a gas tube or line? Fouling?

Weak loads?

Does it have a gas adjuster like an M1A or some kind of "bleed off" device?

Piston ring (or rings) broken or gaped incorrectly?

Scoring that would allow blow-by?

Don't own one, but gas systems in anything are pretty simple

Thanks for the tips.

I didn't see any fouling or blockage or holes where there shouldn't be holes but I was just looking at the gun on the shop counter. Light loads are likely an issue, these Turkish shotguns tend to need a break-in period with 00 and high brass first, I've noticed. The other ones I've seen have two piston rings, an inner plastic sleeve and an outer steel ring; the gun I saw just had a steel outer ring. The gas system basically has a "high" and "low" setting, similar to a VR80. I'd have to look into the piston ring for scoring.

One of my friends in NH is interested in fixing the gun up, so I'm going to go back again today and check the gun out more. Then I'll connect the shop with my friend.

Bought this gun cheap but have no manual to show me how to break it down. Tried Omega and Google without any luck

I was in my local FFL today and he has an Omega AR-12 that he can't get to work. Gun has issues with the gas system and piston ring. He knows I like projects, so he's offering me the gun for $100. Here's what I want to know:

(1) Is there anyone who works on these? Importer was LKCI, LLC out of NJ. "Nevark, Ohio", which should be "Newark, Ohio."
(2) Are these any good when they run properly?
(3) These use 5+1 and 10+1 mags, correct? Are bigger mags available?
(4) How do these compare to VR80s?

And just to be clear, I'm not in Mass, so no need to discuss Mass legalities.
Mine works well with birdshot/light loads but haven't tried buckshot or slugs yet.
The gas block is under the hand guard but I have yet to get it off. It is reversible and one side is for light and flipped it is setup for heavier loads.
I think it's a friction fit but mine seems stuck. Gonna give it a few taps and see if I can loosen it.
I'm flying blind without a manual and adapting the breakdown of. the vr60. It looks as though the bolt carrier comes out the same way as the vr60.
Edit: the gas block comes off with 3 set screws. Everything I read says the bolt comes out the barrel after the charging handle is removed. I pulled the handle out(just like the vr60) but the ejector is still in the way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom