On x hunt app

whacko

NES Member
I'm not a fan of it... for here anyway. I find the maps to be very weak... Topo maps are missing features USGS maps have, like trails.. Property lines and ownership info is often times missing or incomplete. You can't change the date/time to look at the history of a piece of land like you can in Google Earth. Also it seems to be missing a lot of public lands. It's missing WMAs in my area for example... That's a pretty big miss IMHO.

Midwest guys seem to like it. I think they probably get more effort put into those states. By my experience with it in MA was that it's damn near useless. So as opposed to just shooting it down - I offer the following as better alternatives:

1: property info
Mass Online GIS Mapping system
http://massgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps...x.html?appid=47689963e7bb4007961676ad9fc56ae9
Also does aerials, and topo layers.

2. Topo maps:
CalTopo
CalTopo - Backcountry Mapping Evolved
can also change base maps to include USGS topo or aerials. Can export topo maps for import onto GPS. You can stack layers - like a aerial with a topo overlay. You can mark up the map, etc. It's link OnX - but for free.

3. In Woods Navigateion
Garmin 64s handheld GPS
backup:
US Topo Maps app on my phone
backup to the backup
compass

4. Managing waypoints, tracks, etc.
Google Earth
I also use this to export the aerial I want and import it onto my GPS

Decided to go squirrel hunting with my boy rater than try for a deer. He's gotta row tomorrow on the high school crew team and I have a ton of crap to get ready tonight so if he did get one I wouldn't have had time to get it to the butcher......way too hot to leave it in the garage till late tomorrow.

Anyway.....the on x hunt was pretty cool tool. It is nice to know when your coming up on the edge of the wma property. I set the tracker on and it did what it's supposed to .......let's you retrace your steps with ease.

And we did VERY well on grey squirrel tonight......7 in two hours. Woods are thick with them.

Back
Top Bottom