One in a billion chance?? Ejected brass sets off cartridge

It’s happened a few times. There’s another video I remember of a center fire round going off in the exact same manner.

It’s one of the reasons I was always told to put rounds bullet up in boxes for my reloads or in a loose ammo can and not primer up.

It's not uncommon at all. Now, go buy a S&W 10mm that throws complete rounds out of the slide and it may become a natural occurrence.

My stupid older brother decided to stick a piece of pipe in a tree and load it with 30.06 rounds tip to primer. Then we stood back and threw rocks at it. After a few minutes, my brother said "f**k it!" And decided to take a rock about ten inches in diameter and walked closer to the pipe and heaved the rock. We expected a big bang, but it was more like a roll of caps blowing off. Only the first two rounds exploded and blew everything back in his direction, and the large rock prevented him from getting a face full of brass shrapnel. But he did have a piece of brass hit him in the chest and break the skin.
The bulletin from the second round was jammed up between the third shell and the wall of the pipe.
We never told Dad about it......not even 30 years later, because he still would have kicked our asses for it!
[rofl] [rofl][rofl]

Interesting that the recommendation is to load the boxes with the bullet side up. I always load them with primer side up so I can visually inspect the primer seating (reloads of course). Not sure if I will change my routine as I usually don't leave the boxes open and next to me while I shoot.

It’s as simple as flipping one tray into another after inspection.

The other reason I was told this is to prevent bullet setback. I’ve never experienced it but some old time reloaders would say the bullet could seat deeper if the rounds got banged around or dropped over time.
Crimping should be fine but some types don’t get crimped.

If you’re around firearms enough you see all kinds of crazy shit happen.

Operator error is usually first on the list, So many ways to f*** up something so simple.

Then you start getting into mechanical failures.

Once you break through into the NFA world.. the number of possible ways to hurt yourself is Exponential.

I’ve got over 1 million rounds down range at least..
All it takes is one sketchy 40 mm reload to change your perspective on everything.

You never wanna be in that situation where you unsquint your eyes, Glad you have both your eyes and hope you still have all your fingers.

If you’re around firearms enough you see all kinds of crazy shit happen.

Operator error is usually first on the list, So many ways to f*** up something so simple.

Then you start getting into mechanical failures.

Once you break through into the NFA world.. the number of possible ways to hurt yourself is Exponential.

I’ve got over 1 million rounds down range at least..
All it takes is one sketchy 40 mm reload to change your perspective on everything.

You never wanna be in that situation where you unsquint your eyes, Glad you have both your eyes and hope you still have all your fingers.
I’m gonna bold this as the cool factor we all wish we could play with.

I’m gonna bold this as the cool factor we all wish we could play with.
Pretty much the only reason I only let the other NES members play with factory loads…

When I let other people play with the grenade launcher, I always load of Blank in the M-16..

It’s total muscle memory and everybody does it. But if the M-16 is loaded, and the M203 is loaded everybody always pulls the wrong trigger and the last thing you wanna do is lob a projectile into space.

The other reason I was told this is to prevent bullet setback. I’ve never experienced it but some old time reloaders would say the bullet could seat deeper if the rounds got banged around or dropped over time.

This is backwards. The bullet is vastly heavier than the case. (At least for pistol ammo). Bullet down is *less* likely to cause OAL change than bullet up.

Rifle ammo, especially cartridges like .223 Remington, you’d want to store bullet up.

My 77gr 223 goes in bullet down. The 80's are bullet up; that way I know on the line without looking what ammo I have out.

Worry about an ejected rd setting one off??? That ranks right up there with worrying about a wild Panda bear walking to my house from China, waiting until I leave for work, breaking in, drinking all my beer, figuring out all my passwords, running up a huge bill on my credit card, raping my wife's cat to create a mutant species of cat/panda bear with super intelligence that will take over the earth and make us all their slaves.

Oh, and there is absolutely no way there is bullet setback on rounds resting on their bullet.

Worry about an ejected rd setting one off??? That ranks right up there with worrying about a wild Panda bear walking to my house from China, waiting until I leave for work, breaking in, drinking all my beer, figuring out all my passwords, running up a huge bill on my credit card, raping my wife's cat to create a mutant species of cat/panda bear with super intelligence that will take over the earth and make us all their slaves.

There's an academy award winning movie script in this post!!!! 😂

I do shoot indoor range with an open box of reloads on the bench never really thought about this happening. Maybe I'll close the lid when shooting now....maybe not 😁

As far as shooting bench "protocol".....I was on the outdoor range awhile back.....walked in and saw a guy and his 2 kids shooting a black powder revolver.......with an open Tupperware container of black powder on the bench right under the revolver while he was shooting it. I walked over and politely said you want to cover that container when shooting......or move it somewhere else......trust me. He said oh yeah....that is a good idea.

I do shoot indoor range with an open box of reloads on the bench never really thought about this happening. Maybe I'll close the lid when shooting now....maybe not 😁

As far as shooting bench "protocol".....I was on the outdoor range awhile back.....walked in and saw a guy and his 2 kids shooting a black powder revolver.......with an open Tupperware container of black powder on the bench right under the revolver while he was shooting it. I walked over and politely said you want to cover that container when shooting......or move it somewhere else......trust me. He said oh yeah....that is a good idea.
Tupperware container of black powder?

That guy makes a lot of bad desicions.

Back
Top Bottom