One Month now...

Just thought I'd ask for an opinion around here first! I've been waiting a month now for the Billerica PD to get back to me about my application for LTC-A (they said they usually call within a couple weeks) so I'm starting to think they're not doing anything. It's not even like they are waiting for the state to make the thing either, I haven't been interviewed/approved to get the license yet! Think I should start bugging the PD? The inspectors voice mail says "if its about firearms, be patient" (of course he wasn't at his desk [rolleyes] ), and I'm just wondering if it would be better to wait it out rather than harrass them since pissing them off might be detrimental to the whole process. More than anything this post is just me itching to get started [crying] .... I want to go out and order my single-six!!!!! [smile]

-Tom

I say 6 weeks is the cut off if you have not heard by then- I would make the friendly call.

Edited:

If this is just to make the appointment with the person in charge of applications I would call today.

Keep on waiting... My mother just got hers in just past the 4 month mark. Be patient, and in your town you will be rewarded with a class A NO RESTRICTIONS license. Sometime after the 2 month mark, if you still haven't heard back, leave an inquiring voicemail message for the licensing officer.

mine took me 100 days on the nose (not Billerica)... they have 6wks by law. If it goes too much past 6wks call your state Rep or Senator.

Here's the part all you "be patient" apologists missed:

It's not even like they are waiting for the state to make the thing either, I haven't been interviewed/approved to get the license yet!

The PD is required by law to take fingerprints w/i 7 days of the app being filed. Since it sounds as if the app was filed, this "be patient" drivel equates to blind obeisance to being jerked around.

Not my idea of useful advice.[rolleyes]

Those not wedded to subservience may print this out and educate the local cops accordingly:

M.G.L. c.140, § 131 (e)

(e) Within seven days of the receipt of a completed application for a license to carry or possess firearms, or renewal of same, the licensing authority shall forward one copy of the application and one copy of the applicant's fingerprints to the colonel of state police, who shall within 30 days advise the licensing authority, in writing, of any disqualifying criminal record of the applicant arising from within or without the commonwealth and whether there is reason to believe that the applicant is disqualified for any of the foregoing reasons from possessing a license to carry or possess firearms.

Last edited:
Yep, haven't had fingerprints or talked to any of the PD except to hand them my application [thinking]

From reading posts around here I see that just about every PD in the state violates the time constraints in one way or another... so would it actually do any good to complain/cite the law to the PD or just get me into more of a hassle in the end? From what I understand there is NO legal recourse to refusal of a license anyway, sure you get a hearing but its discretionary... so what good are the laws that are in place giving a timeframe? I understand that it's MY RIGHT to have the application processed in this manner, but since when has that mattered in MA.

I think I'll call again tommorow, leave a polite message if I don't get someone on the phone and see where it goes from there. Seems like they should have at least interviewed/fingerprinted me by now [hmmm]

-Tom

Last edited:
Tom unfortunately your choices are slim by way of recourse IANAL however so I might be missing something. This is precisely why most of here on NES recommend you seek counsel before you apply just to insure that all your ducks are in a row.

Maybe it was a bad idea to use the former retired chief as a reference... the new one might not like him or something hahaha! Not sure how counsel would help in my case, there isn't anything on my record besides a speeding ticket. I think its just a case of people being slow and/or lazy [sad]

I'm currently waiting for a reply in Somerville (Class A, new license). I submitted the application on 12/12/06, and I was fingerprinted a month later on 1/16. Just about two months now, and I haven't heard anything. I called last week, and the officer that answered my call told me that my application was still with the FBI (?).
So while the law says that fingerprints must be taken within 7 days and they have to process and respond to an application within 40 days, apparently they don't care. I'd like to go back to the licensing office with a printout of the relevant laws and show them the err of their ways, but I can't see that helping me at all [thinking]

Here's the part all you "be patient" apologists missed:

The PD is required by law to take fingerprints w/i 7 days of the app being filed. Since it sounds as if the app was filed, this "be patient" drivel equates to blind obeisance to being jerked around.

Not my idea of useful advice.[rolleyes]

Those not wedded to subservience may print this out and educate the local cops accordingly:

M.G.L. c.140, § 131 (e)

(e) Within seven days of the receipt of a completed application for a license to carry or possess firearms, or renewal of same, the licensing authority shall forward one copy of the application and one copy of the applicant's fingerprints to the colonel of state police, who shall within 30 days advise the licensing authority, in writing, of any disqualifying criminal record of the applicant arising from within or without the commonwealth and whether there is reason to believe that the applicant is disqualified for any of the foregoing reasons from possessing a license to carry or possess firearms.

Correct, as usuall... but my advice still applies (admittadely only by happy coincidence!): call your senator/congressman to complain.

Correct, as usuall... but my advice still applies (admittadely only by happy coincidence!): call your senator/congressman to complain.

Many of them in this state are anti gun. They may just as well call the issuing authority and say "good job".

If you don't get anywhere in the time allocated by law. Call a good gun lawyer. Darius, Scrivy, or Jesse.

I called last week, and the officer that answered my call told me that my application was still with the FBI (?).So while the law says that fingerprints must be taken within 7 days and they have to process and respond to an application within 40 days, apparently they don't care. I'd like to go back to the licensing office with a printout of the relevant laws and show them the err [sic] of their ways, but I can't see that helping me at all

What utter crap. The FBI has NOTHING to do with it.

Prints are sent - as my post expressly stated - to the STATE POLICE; not the Feds. Your contact with the FBI would not occur unless and until you go to buy a gun from a dealer.

You are being jerked off.

I turned my application for LTC-A to the Wilmington PD on 3/6 and all the guy at the window said to me was "They'll contact you."

I checked out their website and it says this:

"Step 3:
After completing the form and returning it to the police station, you must call Pat Gustafson after 10 days for an appointment to come see Officer La Rivee for fingerprints and photos. Plan to come in on your appointed date and time and please be prompt. The fee is $100.00 cash or check made payable to the Town of Wilmington. (If you are 70 years of age or older, there is no fee). Your application and fingerprints will be sent to the Massachusetts State Police for processing and will be returned to the Wilmington Police Department within 30-45 days. you must call after that time to determine if your paperwork has cleared this process. If for any reason you are disqualified, you will be notified and your application fee will not be refunded."

So on friday I'm going to call them and politely ask to set up an appointment to meet with Officer La Rivee.

Hi Tom, My renewal date was last July. So I applied in June. Long story short the new license wasn't issued until September. FYI they only issue A's without restrictions. The officer in charge is pro 2nd but overworked.

I turned my application for LTC-A to the Wilmington PD on 3/6 and all the guy at the window said to me was "They'll contact you."

I checked out their website and it says this:

"Step 3:
After completing the form and returning it to the police station, you must call Pat Gustafson after 10 days for an appointment to come see Officer La Rivee for fingerprints and photos. Plan to come in on your appointed date and time and please be prompt. The fee is $100.00 cash or check made payable to the Town of Wilmington. (If you are 70 years of age or older, there is no fee). Your application and fingerprints will be sent to the Massachusetts State Police for processing and will be returned to the Wilmington Police Department within 30-45 days. you must call after that time to determine if your paperwork has cleared this process. If for any reason you are disqualified, you will be notified and your application fee will not be refunded."

So on friday I'm going to call them and politely ask to set up an appointment to meet with Officer La Rivee.

So, because of misinformation from the twit at the desk, you've wasted a week.

Oh - since when is Wilmington "on the Cape?" [rolleyes]

Scriv, wrt FBI . . . yes and no.

Local PD sends print cards to MSP (might be CHSB?) for processing (LEEPS check). Prints are forwarded to FBI for NCIC check. FBI was rejecting a lot of prints sent by MA a few months ago and even the PDs were upset with the situation . . . that's how I know that the FBI indirectly is involved in the process.

Hi Tom, My renewal date was last July. So I applied in June. Long story short the new license wasn't issued until September. FYI they only issue A's without restrictions. The officer in charge is pro 2nd but overworked.

Thanks for that info jjl3rd, it's good to know that the officer isn't anti-gun at least. Sounds like he must be overworked, he even mentions to be patient in his voicemail recording. It's probably not even his fault, and more likely the slow state system holding up everything so much on apps/renewals already in progress. My grandfather put in for a renewal on his LTC-A around the same time I put in my app, and he hasn't heard anything yet either.

FBI was rejecting a lot of prints sent by MA a few months ago and even the PDs were upset with the situation . . .

Sounds like a good source of delay to me [thinking]

-Tom

Well, I guess somebody heard me complaining [smile] . I got a call right after I posted above, my license is ready. So I'll find out today if I have any restrictions I guess..
So it took me two months for them to process the application, three months if you include the time from when I submitted it to when they took my fingerprints.

Back
Top Bottom