Online Technician Course

I am thinking about taking the online course. I just have to make sure that I can clear the times to insure that I can actually participate.

I'd take the online course but can't commit to the hours. I've been studying using the app on my phone. Can't wait till I can do the test remote.

We do exams via zoom meeting and an online test portal.

At the moment we can only test the students we get from classes, until the exam software is more streamlined for virtual tests. Currently we can only test 1 person for 3 VEs plus the paperwork overhead slows us down. My plan once we can scale out is to offer a few spots to NES members but the surefire way to get a slot is to take a class.

Definitely keep me posted please, though I may take the online class anyway.

Just signed up. Been lurking way too long. Now I guess I'll finally understand how my FT-60 really works!

Had grand plans to study and take all three levels at once before the Extra question bank resets on June 30, then coronavirus. Thanks for giving me an alternative. Just signed up for Tech tomorrow.

I see your Extra course is eight Monday evenings, which my work schedule won't accommodate. Have you guys considered a weekend course like Tech and Gen? Looks like twice the scheduled hours, so how about two consecutive weekends? I'd even go for two days of twelve hours if someone is similarly crazy enough to facilitate it.

Last edited:
I see your Extra course is eight Monday evenings, which my work schedule won't accommodate. Have you guys considered a weekend course like Tech and Gen? Looks like twice the scheduled hours, so how about two consecutive weekends? I'd even go for two days of twelve hours if someone is similarly crazy enough to facilitate it.

Bob, the instructor, has done crazier schedules. He will be teaching the Tech class this weekend so feel free to ask him. His plan is to transition to the new Extra pool but he may be able to teach the old pool if you are more familiar with it and want to cram. I do not think it will change that drastically though.

Still time to sign up for the General class this weekend.

Maybe. I just remember back when we took the mandatory NH safe boating (or whatever it was called) course online to get the cert, I did it for the whole family and we all got 100. Jack.
It's not that way anymore...you take an online course and online practice tests but I had to go to Concord to take a proctored exam. I passed no problem but I was surprised at how many didn't. There were about 50 people in the testing room. My biggest hurdle was memorizing all the different buoys.

They do the test in person now. But nothing has changed, when you present your test to the proctor he shows you the ones you got wrong so you can change it. My wife and I both got 100%. As did everyone else.
That wasn't my experience when I took mine in NH.

Does anyone have another reputable online class they can suggest?
I would sign up for the one posted but the hours don’t mix at all with my job.
I was hoping there was something else out there. Thank you!

There are always more classes being posted so check back. Mostly weekday nights and weekend days. Are there other times that work better for you. I can suggest times to the instructor.

There are always more classes being posted so check back. Mostly weekday nights and weekend days. Are there other times that work better for you. I can suggest times to the instructor.
I really just need anything after 5 pm On weekdays so I can be done with work
Or if it’s a Saturday Sunday I need it to end before 2 so I can get back to work.
Thank you!!

Do you have the General course online yet? Or are they back to in-person testing now? I’ve been studying and doing the tests on QRZ and would really like to go up to a General class license before year end.

Nashua Area Radio Club offers classses. Due to CV-19, all their classes this year are online. Next Tech classes are Sept. 26 & 27 (Sat/Sun). Info here:

General classes are also listed at the URL above, they are basically one month apart from prior classes.

Back
Top Bottom