Online Technician Course

qwert77

NES Member
New England Sci Tech in Natick, MA is hosting their usual Technician classes virtually during the crisis. We have posted 4 classes/dates so far.

One starting this weekend. So if you are already bored of being stuck at home and have been putting off your Tech sign up!

ONLINE Amateur Radio License Course – TECHNICIAN – New England Sci-Tech

We are currently working with the ARRL to start up virtual VE sessions in the future.

Thanks,
Ted

Last edited:
You need to pass Tech before taking General and then pass General before taking Extra. Each increases your permitted bandwidth to operate.

Go to here to print out the Band Plan which specifies what frequencies you can operate on based on your license level.

Good question. I'm interested in doing this. Can anyone explain if this is a good starting point? What would getting certified as a technician allow me to do?

You cannot sit for the General test without first passing Technician. You have to take each test in order. Tech then General then Extra.

Technician gets you started with UHF/VHF bands. So think local repeaters. There is some limited access to HF bands now also.

I purchased the ARRL books then watched videos on line, for all 3 levels by W4EEY. The videos are recordings of the class they hold every year, and follow the book very close. The I took the practice exams on the ARRL website. When I felt comfortable enough, I took the exams. The Extra book was really intense for me, as I had no previous electrical experience. Good luck with your studies!

True, much easier today without CW.

FWIW, for the tests today, I found the general to be more difficult than the extra.

If you are going to study for the general go for extra, use the online example tests to help prepare 👍
IDK I pass the Extra CW but missed two questions and the the hell with it and been okay with the General.

For those asking about a General class. When would be the best time. Weekend class? Afternoon? Evenings? We are looking to schedule one now.

Studying for General now, would love to have the option to take a course before I end up back at work doing a million hours a week again!
For those asking about a General class. When would be the best time. Weekend class? Afternoon? Evenings? We are looking to schedule one now.

Evenings or weekends. Would online testing be a possibility?

General class as requested!

We have a preliminary go ahead from ARRL for remote testing. We are just working on details now.

General class as requested!

We have a preliminary go ahead from ARRL for remote testing. We are just working on details now.
Signed up. Thank you! Hopefully the test isn’t too far away... I’m a “put it into action or I forget it” type of person

New England Sci Tech in Natick, MA is hosting their usual Technician classes virtually during the crisis. We have posted 4 classes/dates so far.

One starting this weekend. So if you are already bored of being stuck at home and have been putting off your Tech sign up!

ONLINE Amateur Radio License Course – TECHNICIAN – New England Sci-Tech

We are currently working with the ARRL to start up virtual VE sessions in the future.

Thanks,
Ted
you'd still have to go somewhere to actually take the exam.. i already barricaded my door

Maybe. I just remember back when we took the mandatory NH safe boating (or whatever it was called) course online to get the cert, I did it for the whole family and we all got 100. Jack.

Ive taken online exams that require a full inspection via video of the room you are in as well as monitoring of you by video in your laptop to verify no cheating is happening. Security in testing is a real thing. Personally, I would rather put in the effort to learn and pass the test than just cheat, as if I care that little why bother. For those that dont care and just want the license, there is always a way to get by seemingly as I have seen and heard more than one general / extra license holder that can barely operate a $30 Chinese radio

Back
Top Bottom