Online Technician Course

Can you guys tell me why you have to know any of these electrical theories and formulas to use a ham radio ? I mean come on, what are ham radios used for anyway that would require an electronics knowledge ?

Ive taken online exams that require a full inspection via video of the room you are in as well as monitoring of you by video in your laptop to verify no cheating is happening. Security in testing is a real thing. Personally, I would rather put in the effort to learn and pass the test than just cheat, as if I care that little why bother. For those that dont care and just want the license, there is always a way to get by seemingly as I have seen and heard more than one general / extra license holder that can barely operate a $30 Chinese radio
How would they know that it's "you" in the video? Jack.

Pretty soon they’ll be offering licenses in bubblegum machines.

AE1Y

I can assure you. Our whole VE team is very by the book and this is one of the reasons the ARRL is trusting us. Our team has given over 100 tests over the years and taught hundreds of new hams. I know we have taught and tested a number of NES members who can attest to this. We are a group of hams that enjoys furthering the hobby and know that getting as many people involved will only help the amateur radio cause.

How would they know that it's "you" in the video? Jack.
Photo ID submitted prior to the testing.

Again this all comes down to how serious the governing body for the test views the actual test. If the test is nothing more than a money collection gateway (i.e a boating license) nobody really gives a crap. Secure testing is VERY simple and scaleable...

On the flip side, I can guarantee that it is a regular occurrence that cheating happens the way typical HAM testing is done... Maybe not on a tech level, but do you mean to tell me that a couple of buddies from a local club dont help out a fellow HAM and look the other way?

I can assure you. Our whole VE team is very by the book and this is one of the reasons the ARRL is trusting us. Our team has given over 100 tests over the years and taught hundreds of new hams. I know we have taught and tested a number of NES members who can attest to this. We are a group of hams that enjoys furthering the hobby and know that getting as many people involved will only help the amateur radio cause.
Just dont laugh at me when I fail the general the first time and I will be happy (can that be an add on package? Youre a dummy, but we wont laugh at you for an extra $5?)

I am studying now for Technician Class license and would like to sit for the exam. I used the ARRL search tool for VE and exams (region 1) but came up empty.

Are exams on hold until COVID stuff is over with?

Last edited:
Can you guys tell me why you have to know any of these electrical theories and formulas to use a ham radio ? I mean come on, what are ham radios used for anyway that would require an electronics knowledge ?
It's Because, because once upon a time the FCC took inputs from the really old timers who thought so. These are the same ones who thought that CW would die if you didn't make it mandatory to know. Guess what CW is alive and well today. Unless your into building things the answer is you won't use it.

Maybe. I just remember back when we took the mandatory NH safe boating (or whatever it was called) course online to get the cert, I did it for the whole family and we all got 100. Jack.

They do the test in person now. But nothing has changed, when you present your test to the proctor he shows you the ones you got wrong so you can change it. My wife and I both got 100%. As did everyone else.

I ended up studying through a purely online resource. Just easier for my WFH lifestyle. Get some time in on the spin bike, on lunch, etc. Any clue if the online testing will be available to the general public?

I ended up studying through a purely online resource. Just easier for my WFH lifestyle. Get some time in on the spin bike, on lunch, etc. Any clue if the online testing will be available to the general public?
I know that NARS is also looking into online testing.

Looks like the online testing is starting for people who have taken the course or by invitation only. And general public mid-April. I can wait. Going to try for general as well.

I took the General class this weekend, and am scheduled to take the test next week. It was done well, and even though there was a bit of a learning curve using Zoom, it was worth my time. Just remember they are teaching to the test, it isn't a radio theory class. I had to bite my tongue a few times to keep from going down a rabbit hole and wasting everyone's time.

That technician class says it started today, April 7th. Unless I’m mistaken.

Sorry for the confusion. I heard it was going to be moved till tomorrow but it got cancelled instead because of only one person signed up who ended up bailing anyway.
This is getting moved to next week.

We just added more classes too.

Ted

I can take the General exam online through you? I paused studying for it since I had other stuff pop up at the same time this outbreak happened, How does the exam work online?

I can take the General exam online through you? I paused studying for it since I had other stuff pop up at the same time this outbreak happened, How does the exam work online?

We do exams via zoom meeting and an online test portal.

At the moment we can only test the students we get from classes, until the exam software is more streamlined for virtual tests. Currently we can only test 1 person for 3 VEs plus the paperwork overhead slows us down. My plan once we can scale out is to offer a few spots to NES members but the surefire way to get a slot is to take a class.

Back
Top Bottom