• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ONLY 1 LEFT 2018 OCSA Pembroke ma NEXT NOV 4th M1 Garand Clinic and Modern Military

Hey guys, so got extremely lucky with a drawing at my club, next season ill be shooting an M1A. What grease do you guys use for your M1's?

Mobil 1 synthetic. If you’re near Worcester i’ll pack a syringe for you for free...probably last you 10 years if you only have 1 m1 platform rifle

+1 on the Mobil 1. Works great, even at minus 7 degrees. Shot my M1 for the Winter Warrior postal match when it was that cold. BTW Eugenio, that M1A looks fantastic.

The closest match I have seen at pembroke
Competitor (Comp Num) Prone Slow Prone Rapid Standing Aggregate
1 Watt, Derek (259000) 100 - 3 96 - 1 0 - 0 91 - 1 287 - 5
2 Scarpino, Franco, CPO , USN Ret. (11679) 100 - 3 98 - 2 0 - 0 89 - 0 287 - 5
3 Maclellan, John (160159) 99 - 5 94 - 3 0 - 0 90 - 1 283 - 9
4 Reitz, Edward (215658) 99 - 3 96 - 3 0 - 0 81 - 1 276 - 7
5 Kindamo, Anthony (96051) 90 - 0 97 - 1 0 - 0 81 - 0 268 - 1
6 Stockler, Laura (304005) 100 - 4 81 - 0 0 - 0 85 - 0 266 - 4
7 Hazel, David (152275) 95 - 1 90 - 1 0 - 0 79 - 0 264 - 2
8 Bulejcik, Alan (10002) 98 - 4 95 - 1 0 - 0 67 - 0 260 - 5
9 Yanulis, Richard (134275) 89 - 0 92 - 1 0 - 0 75 - 1 256 - 2
10 Dixon, Austin (333312) 99 - 1 85 - 0 0 - 0 66 - 0 250 - 1

Nice. So does the offhand score break a tie if the score and X count is the same? It must.

Yeah, first tie breaker is X-count. Second is awful-hand.

That was a fun day! I shot 60 rounds of Aguila 150gr while breaking in the barrel. Had one light strike, and a round that was not getting picked up by the bolt from the mag (both issues with the same round), other than that, it performed flawlessly. Took me like 10 rounds to from start (with cleaning the barrel after every round) to get to a point where I thought i had it zeroed, but the 10 round after that showed me i was doing something wrong at first, as my group was above and to thew right, something to fix when i go out again, hopefully ill have a spotting scope by then, walking got old haha. Other than the mag, and how much of a pain in the ass it was to get in and out, im in love with the rifle. Couple questions from a new owner:

• Cleaning - I was reading that I should field strip the rifle as little as possible as it compresses the fiber of the wood, how often should I be greasing the rifle and giving it a good clean instead of just cleaning from the port and mag well?
  • Sights - The rifle has the NM front, would getting the NM rear, or even the hooded sight be worthit?
  • Ammo - I dont reload yet, would I see a significant difference using cheaper ammo from match ammo? Any type you particularly recommend?
  • Stock - That walnut looks amazing, anything i should be doing to keep it well taken care of? Tung oil or something similar?
  • Upgrades - any must have upgrades you recommend? I heard shimming and spring guide are cheap and worthit upgrades...
  • Noticed the rifle made a peculiar ringing sound, almost like a resonance, is this normal?

View: https://imgur.com/a/fpDZNoZ

First set of 5 after I thought I had it zeroed (50 yards, bench):

View: https://imgur.com/a/Q87Vinx

Final set of 10

View: https://imgur.com/a/vZimiwU

Oh and thanks for the Mobile 1 tip, 8.99 for a pound at my local autozone.

• Cleaning - I was reading that I should field strip the rifle as little as possible as it compresses the fiber of the wood, how often should I be greasing the rifle and giving it a good clean instead of just cleaning from the port and mag well?
  • Sights - The rifle has the NM front, would getting the NM rear, or even the hooded sight be worthit?
  • Ammo - I dont reload yet, would I see a significant difference using cheaper ammo from match ammo? Any type you particularly recommend?
  • Stock - That walnut looks amazing, anything i should be doing to keep it well taken care of? Tung oil or something similar?
  • Upgrades - any must have upgrades you recommend? I heard shimming and spring guide are cheap and worthit upgrades...
  • Noticed the rifle made a peculiar ringing sound, almost like a resonance, is this normal?

Nice shooting!

Cleaning - you'll want to minimize how often you remove the trigger group and action from the stock. I do this 1x a year on an M14 or Garand, always the end of the season during a full detailed cleaning. The M14 gas system should be cleaned every ~500 rounds. This can be done without removing the action from the stock. You'll need a few speciality tools to help with this, look at the Sadlak cleaning tools (they are drill bits with handles on them) and gas cylinder wrench. Keep the action lubed with the mobile1 as you see fit.

Sights - NM sights will DQ you from "as issued" matches. It's up to you.

Stock - Raw Linseed Oil, Boiled Linseed Oil, Tung Oil - as this question to 10 guys get 10 different answers. I am a Raw Linseed Oil man myself.

Ammo - An experienced shooter will notice a difference with better ammo, specifically bullets.

Upgrades - yes, get a good sling. I have not shimmed my GC and you can see the scores with my M14 a few posts up.

Noise - Mine do that too, kinda like how ARs have that spring twang....

Last edited:
That was a fun day! I shot 60 rounds of Aguila 150gr while breaking in the barrel. Had one light strike, and a round that was not getting picked up by the bolt from the mag (both issues with the same round), other than that, it performed flawlessly. Took me like 10 rounds to from start (with cleaning the barrel after every round) to get to a point where I thought i had it zeroed, but the 10 round after that showed me i was doing something wrong at first, as my group was above and to thew right, something to fix when i go out again, hopefully ill have a spotting scope by then, walking got old haha. Other than the mag, and how much of a pain in the ass it was to get in and out, im in love with the rifle. Couple questions from a new owner:

Final set of 10

I say with that group and the ammo you used....dont do anything ! Really leave it be.
CLeaning. Depends on your OcD levels.
I wipe all metal down with a rag that has some sort of oil/rust preventive stuff on it. After every match i give the bore a few Patches of clp then a few dry patches and then a few clp and put it away wet. I will dry patch it before the match.
End of season i do a detail clean on my match rifles.

If your looking to play cmp games hold off on any sight changes. Small local match may not care about NM sights but bigger ones will. Especially if your posting good scores.

for me a NM sight set hurts. i cant see that thin pos.

as for stock finish 100% tung oil has been the easiest for me to use and looks good.

Trying this sokn
Use Dark Raw Tung Oil for Natural Wood Staining & Finishing

Yeah, the mags are a PITA until you get used to them. Next time you are at the range with a full mag (or at home with full mag of dummies), practice inserting and removing the mag. I'm not a fan of playing with live rounds at home, but there's a significant difference in ease when loading full vs. empty mag. If you don't have this down to muscle memory I guarantee mag loading will go south at a match. They are 'different', for sure.

+1 on leaving your rifle alone (other than clean & lube) because it is shooting very well now. Probably the GC lock is properly 'timed' if the rifle is shooting that well, therefore no need for a shim. If it seems loose, a shim won't hurt anything and might help a little. If you are going to be storing for a couple months without shooting, don't take the action out of the stock but do unhook the trigger guard to relieve some pressure on the stock. Supposed to reduce compression of the wood.

For relatively inexpensive ammo, I've had great results with PPU Match. For a few more bucks, I like the Creedmoor ammo from CMP- especially because the Lapua brass is great for reloading. If you don't reload you can sell me the 1X fired Lapua brass. :D

Final set of 10

You can always reload by stripper clip. Hardly need to break position

Yeah, the mags are a PITA until you get used to them. Next time you are at the range with a full mag (or at home with full mag of dummies), practice inserting and removing the mag.

The 20 round mags are easier to use - the longer mags act as a better lever and have more to hold onto.... I would not shoot a rapid with a 10 round mag.

Great, ill keep the rifle as is. I think ill start experimenting with some ammo too, ill try that CMP stuff. Lastly the link ive found for the M14 Mag identification seems to be dead, anyone have a copy so I can make sure to buy USGI pre bans?

thanks,

He needs some Franco training to use that sling properly. :D
Yup, sling is another thing to work on... You can see its not staying tight. The the hooks need to be up against the keepers for starters.
I dont know if the rules are different for that M1a match at perry but he was a bit early inserting that mag I think

Last edited:
Just got a leather sling for the M1A, im ready to get yelled at next season hehe

Just ask for help and you won't catch any crap until the next time- unless you are a bad listener / slow learner, which will get you some 'gentle' motivation LOL.

There's a youtube that shows the USMC method for rigging the sling. An easy way to know it's the USMC method is that the frogs go to the inside, as in towards the rifle.

Just ask for help and you won't catch any crap until the next time- unless you are a bad listener / slow learner, which will get you some 'gentle' motivation LOL.

There's a youtube that shows the USMC method for rigging the sling. An easy way to know it's the USMC method is that the frogs go to the inside, as in towards the rifle.

Post #163 on this thread

Yeah it looks to be built like a tank. This weekend im hoping to give the rifle a thorough cleaning and oil the wood, then ill start playing with the sling.

Got a Ron brown from creedmor sports

Great choice. I like the Turner slings as well, but the Ron Brown slings are a bit beefier. Might take a little more work to break it in the way you like it, but that's probably one of the top two slings on the market.

Finish Guru's. Ive done 4 (or 6, cant remember) coats of pure tung oil, however seems the wood is still absorbing it so maybe i should do a couple more. How long after the last coat should I wait before assembling / shooting it? Im loving this walnut, I may have to break with traditional and get a walnut handguard.

View: https://imgur.com/a/AAZAplC

AAZAplC

Finish Guru's. Ive done 4 (or 6, cant remember) coats of pure tung oil, however seems the wood is still absorbing it so maybe i should do a couple more. How long after the last coat should I wait before assembling / shooting it? Im loving this walnut, I may have to break with traditional and get a walnut handguard.

View: https://imgur.com/a/AAZAplC

AAZAplC

Just keep applying it as you feel fit. It takes aprox 30 days for tung oil to cure but there’s no need to wait if you don’t want to. I go a week then shoot it. Remember tung oil does not build up like TruOil and other finishes. You can keep applying the tung oil year after year.
I give my rifle I use in matches a quick rub every year with tung oil. I don’t even bother removing it from the action

Just took her to the range. It was empty, not too cold, nice and bright. I broguth the M1A and AR with the M1A promo scope (vortex 4-16)...and as soon as I get there I realize i left all my AR mags, atleast it works as a spotting scope! Nice scope but not sure i love it, in other that full magnification I can hardly see the crosshairs, and seems to rattle a lot with the few manually loaded shots I did. Ill see, I fgar prefered the 1-4 Leupold.

As for the M1A I shot bench at 100 yards, this is such a fun rifle. I also got some PPU match ammo, so hopefully soon ill start playing with that at the 200 yard line. I did realize that center hold is not working well, so ill have to change to 6 oclock hold.Hopefully ill be able to do a few of the OCSA events this year with the M1A and the 1-4 AR.

View: https://imgur.com/a/LmWKhwP

View: https://imgur.com/a/RzdTive

Back
Top Bottom