Open Carry in VT

ASG

I truly like VT's gun laws (or rather, the lack many restrictions). State pre-emption, and the VT supreme court has backed up this right in State v. Rosenthal. However, if anyone is considering open carrying in Rutland City, please read the details over attempts by the police to hassle and discourage open carry at my blog:http://arctichomesteader.blogspot.com/

Also, there is a city ordinance on the books in Rutland City prohibiting possession/carrying of firearms in city parks, which is not lawful for the city to enforce, and I intend to attend some city aldermen board meetings to wipe it off the books, but alderman Bossi (police chief's wife BTW) in December of 2007 proposed an ordinance banning them on all city property (I don't believe that has been enacted though). I think the city needs to be reminded that they can't be doing this sort of stuff...

This may be just another reason why I'll be happy to be in Alaska's bush for good next year...

Make sure you send that letter to the AG's office. They may be better equipped to help deal with it.

I'm going to see what sorts of responses I get from the chief, mayor and the aldermen, I've sent copies to all of them, with cover letters to the mayor and aldermen explaining the reason for doing so. If I don't get any acceptable responses, I'm reporting the whole thing to the attorney general, and may send something to the governor too, as he is more pro-gun than our AG at the moment FWIW, and he is responsible for carrying out the laws, including our pre-emption laws forbidding Rutland's no guns in parks ordinance...maybe I'll send something to the VT ACLU too; oddly enough, they helped in the 1990's in the case of some men arrested for violating an ordinance in Rutland City forbidding carrying loaded guns (which of course was not legal for the city to do).

I'm going to see what sorts of responses I get from the chief, mayor and the aldermen, I've sent copies to all of them, with cover letters to the mayor and aldermen explaining the reason for doing so. If I don't get any acceptable responses, I'm reporting the whole thing to the attorney general, and may send something to the governor too, as he is more pro-gun than our AG at the moment FWIW, and he is responsible for carrying out the laws, including our pre-emption laws forbidding Rutland's no guns in parks ordinance...

I would CC the AG anyway, even if you get a good response, otherwise someone else will have to go through the same thing. They also probably want to keep on top of these types of actions to ensure they don't get too far out of hand.

Very useful post; I was not aware of the severity.

I have heard about people being threatened for being Americans in Rutland, but the majority of police around the area seem pretty uptight anyway. I never go into Rutland unless I have no choice, but I will carry.

Back
Top Bottom