• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open Carry Story (Sort Of)

I'm confused - which Village People was he; the Construction Worker or the Cowboy?

The fact that you had the presence of mind to ask that question, in noting the differences between the various Village People characters, is disturbing. I can barely remember the band, but YOU remember the details like that? Hahaha, too funny. Attention to detail is certainly your forte'.

I was surprised he even had to ask. I thought he knew them all by name. [smile][wink][laugh]

I saw a guy openly carrying last summer at an area Dunks too. I didn't see a badge, but he might have had one on his left hand side (could only see the right). One other person was also sizing him up so they noticed he was carrying too.

Massachusetts is not a traditional open carry state, but it is not a crime for Class A License holders to open carry. However, it is reported that some jurisdictions will use this as an excuse to revoke permits.

And what legal impediment keeps LTC/B's from doing so?

Massachusetts is not a traditional open carry state, but it is not a crime for Class A License holders to open carry. However, it is reported that some jurisdictions will use this as an excuse to revoke permits.

If you want to read more on Open Carry http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html
This is what CT has said in the past. Many still do. "It isn't illegal, but we will get creative and arrest you by misusing another statute."

woops..forgot the "ed"..thanks....I just put "seems" because I did not know if there was another section of the law that delt with the matter....as for open carrying being stupid..thats your opinion..I find it to be more comfortable in the warmer months and in some states its your only option depending on age or if you qualify for a concealed carry license....not to mention a way to educate others on their right to bear arms....

woops..forgot the "ed"..thanks....I just put "seems" because I did not know if there was another section of the law that delt with the matter....as for open carrying being stupid..thats your opinion..I find it to be more comfortable in the warmer months and in some states its your only option depending on age or if you qualify for a concealed carry license....not to mention a way to educate others on their right to bear arms....

Don't sweat it, bucketdud. In some states it is an option, sure. But in this state the general consensus is that it is bad.

As for it being a way to educate others on their "right to bear arms"? There are less-intrusive ways to do it, I reckon', for especially in MA, the negatives of OC will most likely outweigh the positives.

You got Scrived (although he likes the word "Scrivenered"). Wear your NES badge of dishonor with pride, for you are not alone.

I don't think of CT as much different from Mass in terms of people...and you would be surprised how many people are interested/give a "good for you" for open-carrying...I think if there was no risk of losing a LTC in Mass for it people would do it....I truly believe probably 75% or more of the people in Mass could care less if they see someone with a pistol on their hip pushing a shopping cart around walmart...

as for open carrying being stupid..thats your opinion..

I think most people have no idea what they're wading into when they open carry. But stupidity shouldn't be illegal.

I think if there was no risk of losing a LTC in Mass for it people would do it....I truly believe probably 75% or more of the people in Mass could care less if they see someone with a pistol on their hip pushing a shopping cart around walmart...

That's just it. The issue isn't the people in the store who don't care, it's the local police chief who can randomly yank your permit if he cares. To give you an idea of how some towns are, this is info from the "Firearms FAQ" of the Stow (Mass.) Police Department:

http://www.stow-ma.gov/pages/StowMA_Police/firefaq1

4. DOES A LTC ISSUED FOR “ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES” ALLOW ME TO DO ANYTHING I WANT WITH A FIREARM AS LONG AS I DO NOT VIOLATE THE LAW?

NO. All licensees are expected to behave not only lawfully, but also responsibly. This means that your firearm must be used and carried not only lawfully, but also in a safe and appropriate manner. You should not display or allow your firearm to be displayed inappropriately in a public place so as to frighten or alarm those present. Such an incident is likely to result in the police being dispatched to a call for a “Man With A Gun”, and will require police intervention to determine that the firearm is being possessed or carried in a lawful manner. The licensee must understand that the commission of ANY inappropriate, unsafe, threatening or unlawful act while carrying a firearm may result in the immediate revocation of the license

In MA violating the law with guns and violating social mores with guns often ends up with the same result; the loss of your permit.

Back
Top Bottom