• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open Carry

and your point...? You will note that I included apologies in my post if I jumped to conclusions. I am taking it easy, you need to read more carefully.

Respectfully,

Mark L.

No, I don't need to read more carefully. I commented on what you wrote in your post, that's all.

I'm sorry, but the law is far from CLEAR. It is, in fact, completely mum on the issue. It does not ever mention the difference between open and concealed carry

I was surprised to learn how ambiguous the law was from the first day. I've included the law as enacted in 1906. I've browsed updates through the 1920s and they never address the ambiguity.

The title refers to consealed carry, but the law itself makes no mention. It appears that in 1906 no one in MA was thinking of open carry -- that the only carry that happened was concealed -- and the legislature was keen on controlling it.

It would seem to me that the time for an open carry demonstration was back around 1907. If you had a license then, when everyone knew what "suitable" meant, a test case would have produced precedent that we could use. Or a clarification by the legislature that OC was permissable with a license.

Or perhaps, even better, unlicensed OC might have been protected as in other states. A decision like the 1976 one that declared NO RKBA would not likely have happened in 1907 (even though it was after Salina v. Kansas).

I guess that there were no protests then, because no one imagined they were on the slippery slope that took us to where we are today.

MassachusettsActs1906Chap172.jpg

Open Carry vs Closed Carry

Cabelas has a no open carry policy. It is OK to carry concealed or just leave your guns in the truck when you go in the store.

On the Plus side they have a Corral where you can tie up your horses and kennel cages both inside the store and outside where you can leave your dogs.

Mommas Catfish in Mesquite Texas has an Open Carry Thurday night Catfish, Hushpuppy, Fried Okra dinner. Picnic guns and 10 gallon hats are a must! Its Yummy!

Can anyone else imput on places like this?

Raoul: This is an example of a Picnic Gun

engravedhkgun.jpg

HB25-334E.jpg

A Canard is a Duck when it crosses the boarder from Canada into America.

duck.gif

Last edited:
What's a picnic gun?

I know I'm from MA so I'm a little slow on the draw but I've never heard of a picnic gun and I sense that there's a hole in my collection I didn't even know existed.

If you are trying to rub it in because you now live in a state that embraces gun culture, it's only going to piss people off, like another chap who until recently was going out of his way to extoll the virtues of New Hampshire over Massachusetts. Remember that we are all agents of choice and have our reasons for living where we live. If that was not your intent, you have my apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Now try that same stunt in downtown Boston.

Mark L.

Relax Mark,

I'm not trying to piss anyone off. Just a little ball-bustin' among friends. I'm just ecstatic to be out of Meninostan (Brighton), which I lived in for most of my life before moving to New Bedford (not much better), and finally Attleboro (not bad, for MA).

P.S. If someone is pissed of by my expression of happiness, that sounds like a personal contentment issue in his/her life.

Also, thanks BigDaddy45acp, clinotus, and hardjeepguy for clarifying my lady-hood. [smile]

Last edited:
P.S. If someone is pissed of by my expression of happiness, that sounds like a personal contentment issue in his/her life.
]

You were most gracious up until that point, but now it seems as if you are as guilty of the same thing you suggested that I was doing: jumping to conclusions.

I would also recommend that if you have something to say...put it in font size that can be read with ease. Size does matter, afterall.

For the record, I did include an apology in my original post, saying that if I misread your post that you had my apologies. A fact that everyone who has responed has ignored suggesting either selective reading or a degree of illiteracy.

Now I expect all you self appointed knights of the 21st Century will jump up in defense of the damsel in distress (who shoots .500 S&W magnums) because of the reply that mean A-hole Mark L. wrote...have fun boys..all of us, no matter how rational and good we may be, and how great we are as people have a few nutty ideas floating around in our craniums...I happen to believe that open carry is one of those ideas (not opposed to open carry in the field) and IT IS a hot-button issue with me...so flame away and tell me how f++++d I am. I am quite sure that I have a few ideas that you might consider nutty, too...

Or maybe...we could just agree to disagree...march on and try to save and support the 2A and the shooting sports. But then again, some of you will assail me saying I don't support the 2A because I don't support unlimited open carry....so it's these kind of squabbles that will sink us all in the end...we will get what we deserve...I suppose...in which case we will consider ourselves damn lucky to get a restricted water-pistol license.

Mark L.

Last edited:
I was going to answer his question with more substance than a link, but man did you (and the author) nail it. No better explanation possible.

Well, it looks like there is indeed a hole in my collection but it appears that this one may remain for a while as I don't have anywhere near the standard armament I desire...

You were most gracious up until that point, but now it seems as if you are as guilty of the same thing you suggested that I was doing: jumping to conclusions.

I would also recommend that if you have something to say...put it in font size that can be read with ease. Size does matter, afterall.

For the record, I did include an apology in my original post, saying that if I misread your post that you had my apologies. A fact that everyone who has responed has ignored suggesting either selective reading or a degree of illiteracy.

There was NO ill-intent in my original post. Take it as it was meant: to be cute/funny.

Now I expect all you self appointed knights of the 21st Century will jump up in defense of the damsel in distress (who shoots .500 S&W magnums) because of the reply that mean A-hole Mark L. wrote...have fun boys..all of us, no matter how rational and good we may be, and how great we are as people have a few nutty ideas floating around in our craniums...I happen to believe that open carry is one of those ideas (not opposed to open carry in the field) and IT IS a hot-button issue with me...so flame away and tell me how f++++d I am. I am quite sure that I have a few ideas that you might consider nutty, too...

Or maybe...we could just agree to disagree...march on and try to save and support the 2A and the shooting sports. But then again, some of you will assail me saying I don't support the 2A because I don't support unlimited open carry....so it's these kind of squabbles that will sink us all in the end...we will get what we deserve...I suppose.

Mark L.
Oh, I think I found that magic font size button! [grin] Here we go.
I'm not a damsel in distress. Far from it. I don't need people on this forum to stick up for me, but I appreciate it when my friends do. Besides, they didn't correct YOU on the issue of my sex, I think that was directed to BOBKATT's "guy" comment, also made with no ill-intent on his part.

As for open carry being a "hot-button" issue with you, I'm sure a lot of us feel the same, but calling people "illiterate" or saying that they practice "selective reading" is probably not the best way to get your point across.

First thank you for providing an extremely readable font, second I think I did get my point across, you responded and somewhat emotionally, I surmise.

Since I am a careful reader of all that you have written in this thread, I am well aware that the remarks regarding your gender were NOT directed at me. Nevertheless there are a number of individuals on this board who will respond because they think they need to defend a lady. Obviously one of us is at fault here, you either have a reading comprehension problem or I have a writing problem...perhaps we both need to take the MCAS...also too, you simply could have said that your post was intended to be cute and funny and that you accepted my apology...then it would be the end of story...but you decided to be ungracious and twist the knife (something that you vainly attempted to do in your latest reply to me). You are perfectly capable of defending yourself and I have nothing but admiration for your self-reliance and the courage it took to change your life by moving to Montana (a major lifestyle change).

So continue to enjoy your sojourn in the land of big sky, bison, and copper mines. Gun culture states are fun places to live in, although I think your state will eventually change as more people from outside move in.

I wish you all the best. This is my final post in this thread Mods...we aren't accomplishing much here.

Mark L.

P.S. hmm...the fish are biting this morning...[devil2]

Last edited:
P.S. hmm...the fish are biting this morning...[devil2]

[smile] This thread wasn't supposed to be about you or I. If you want to call me illiterate, fine, but check your own grammar first. You come across as very bitter & antisocial. I'm not a person who likes arguing, especially with someone whom I've never met.

Have a great day!

This thread I find odd indeed. Frankly both of you always struck me as thoughtful, well-spoken individuals. My guess is that on any other day you would have gotten along fine and perhaps you will.

Now, let's close this thread and move on! All agreed?

Between this one and the "How do you lock your home gun?" one, there must be something in the water today...

[grin] Sorry about the unpleasantries of my previous posts, y'all.

I guess I had coffe from the decaf (bitchy) pot by accident.

I'm having a giant ice coffee now to fix the problem.

So continue to enjoy your sojourn in the land of big sky, bison, and copper mines. Gun culture states are fun places to live in, although I think your state will eventually change as more people from outside move in.

Your posts are drenched with bitterness and negativity. I don't understand why. Jealous?

K-Dub, keep practicing your rights and enjoy living in a free state. Stay active so the liberal implants don't ruin that and you'll be alright, it's called being proactive. I think you will be fine, the gun culture will flock to gun culture states as they are pushed out of the anti states as well. Look for me in about 5 years, I'll be in a free state and my vote will cancel out a blue blood vote.

Your posts are drenched with bitterness and negativity. I don't understand why. Jealous?

K-Dub, keep practicing your rights and enjoy living in a free state. Stay active so the liberal implants don't ruin that and you'll be alright, it's called being proactive. I think you will be fine, the gun culture will flock to gun culture states as they are pushed out of the anti states as well. Look for me in about 5 years, I'll be in a free state and my vote will cancel out a blue blood vote.

Just make sure you move north to NH. [wink]

mark056 said:
P.S. hmm...the fish are biting this morning...

Yes, and she ripped the pole right out of your hands... [laugh]

owned.jpg

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

-Mike

I was going to answer his question with more substance than a link, but man did you (and the author) nail it. No better explanation possible.

His blog is excellent. I read the whole thing a couple months ago, and now keep up with it regularly. It's a good mix of hilarious stories, good information, and spot on analysis.

You provide no basis for this arguement

[popcorn]

Open Carry is not a good idea no matter how you look at it. It can't help you.

If you want to open carry - become a law officer. No one needs to know that your packing heat.

If you want people to know you have a gun - wear a sign around your neck and see where that gets you.

You provide no basis for this arguement. Many states do not restrict open carry like they do for concealed carry.

In Virginia, if you carry into an establishment that serves beer, it MUST be unconcealed or you become a criminal.

In Michigan, you can open carry anywhere you can not conceal carry if you have a CPL.

In Wyoming, there are a lot of places you can not conceal carry with a permit, you can open carry in any of these places.

In Louisiana, there a a ton of places that most CCW holders can not carry, but you can open carry in these places.

Same for Nebraska.

If you go to West Virginia, your only option is to open carry since they will not recognize your Mass License.

I just gave you a bunch of examples why to open carry.

As far as New Hampshire, it's legal to an it's their right to, they don't have to explain themselves to anyone for any reason.

In Mass, you can do what you want, but your ability to own guns is up to your chief, so I'd exercise caution in the commiewealth.

The people in NH who open carry are mostly free staters, they are doing the best they can to keep NH from turning into the wonderful commiewealth of MA. That's why they do it.

You provide no basis for this arguement. Many states do not restrict open carry like they do for concealed carry.

In Virginia, if you carry into an establishment that serves beer, it MUST be unconcealed or you become a criminal.

In Michigan, you can open carry anywhere you can not conceal carry if you have a CPL.

In Wyoming, there are a lot of places you can not conceal carry with a permit, you can open carry in any of these places.

In Louisiana, there a a ton of places that most CCW holders can not carry, but you can open carry in these places.

Same for Nebraska.

If you go to West Virginia, your only option is to open carry since they will not recognize your Mass License.

I just gave you a bunch of examples why to open carry.

As far as New Hampshire, it's legal to an it's their right to, they don't have to explain themselves to anyone for any reason.

In Mass, you can do what you want, but your ability to own guns is up to your chief, so I'd exercise caution in the commiewealth.

The people in NH who open carry are mostly free staters, they are doing the best they can to keep NH from turning into the wonderful commiewealth of MA. That's why they do it.

If thats how you feel abgout it, then you have missed the point of carrying a gun in the first place. YOu missed the point that in terms of self defese, open carry offers you no real advantage, and in fact, can be considered a disadvantage. THAT was the argument I think h was trying to make, and I think that is more important than the list of restricted places in other states

No, I got the point, it's just unsubstanciated jabber

If thats how you feel abgout it, then you have missed the point of carrying a gun in the first place. YOu missed the point that in terms of self defese, open carry offers you no real advantage, and in fact, can be considered a disadvantage. THAT was the argument I think h was trying to make, and I think that is more important than the list of restricted places in other states

No the list of places off limits are the issue in many places. It's better to open carry then not carry at all. I've lived in plenty of states that have bad CCW laws. They don't affect me because I can carry anywhere in the United States under Title 8; however, I had to watch many of my friends suffer these stupid restrictions in a lot of states.

Open carry is prone to deter crime around you, the open carrier, concealed carry slightly benefits society as a whole. John Lott discussed this in Freedomnomics. Low level criminals would not want to bother someone they know has a gun, it's too much risk to them.

There are some instances where open carry is beneficial. I've seen it myself on the job and off-duty. It can even prevent violent incidents from happening in the first place.

New England does not have any places off limits to open carry that would otherwise prohibit CCW. CCW is also common in New England because all of New England has had CCW since the 1920's and even before. Many states have had no CCW or very restrictive may issue CCW until recent years. That's why many people open carried. Others do it because it's more comfortable. I guess the bottom line is that it's there business and no one elses. If people don't like open carry, then don't open carry. That's what it really comes down to.

As far as open carry putting you to a disadvantage. I've open carried 5 days a week for about 10 hours a day for the past three years. It's never put me at a disadvantage... and I guess it can be said that LEO's look for trouble when everyday people don't. Unfortunately none of you will run into me in New England since I haven't lived there in years but if you were open carrying in Arizona a couple of years ago, you may have seen me as the guy in uniform who didn't blink an eye or freak out because he knows the law. If you do the same in Michigan and you see someone who didn't blink an eye or freak out, it's probably me.

Last edited:

If in terms of self defese[sic] open carry offers no real advantage why do police officers do it?

more then like will get negativity about this post,but hey..

Originally Posted by PEMS2324

Open Carry is not a good idea no matter how you look at it. It can't help you.

If you want to open carry - become a law officer. No one needs to know that your packing heat.

If you want people to know you have a gun - wear a sign around your neck and see where that gets you.
YOu missed the point that in terms of self defese, open carry offers you no real advantage, and in fact,can be considered a disadvantage. THAT was the argument I think h was trying to make, and I think that is more important than the list of restricted places in other states

IMHO,it doesn't look like he was argueing of the advantage/disadvantage of anything..looks more like he was stating how it should be straight out...

doobie said:
If in terms of self defese[sic] open carry offers no real advantage why do police officers do it?

must be so they're at a "disadvantage"....[wink]

i swear it's becoming a pissing contest,and we know how those end...

(wet shoes)---[smile]

just as a side note...i can't believe i made or(don't remember) making this comment about how i'd never OC
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54900&postcount=24

it is a liberating feeling..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom