Opening Day NH

So that's why i haven't been getting many deer on my cell game cameras. The bastards are hiding. 🙃
So where are you hunting? NH son Lance and Little Jack have both filled their bow tags and Lance just tipped over a buck with rifle this AM. They tell me that they have seen more deer this year than ever before. They hunt where there are plenty of acorns. Jack.

Anybody shoots one be careful dragging them out or get help
This guy In The Adirondacks dropped dead.
Town of Piercefield
St. Lawrence County
Wilderness Search:
On Nov. 2 at 8:36 p.m., a woman called Ray Brook Dispatch to report her husband overdue from hunting on the western side of Tupper Lake in the Horseshoe Lake Wild Forest. Forest Rangers, Environmental Conservation Police Officers (ECOs), NYSP, and volunteers were part of the search team. On Nov. 3, Rangers used Type 1 and Type 2 searches, while ECOs searched the shoreline and water, and NYSP K-9 units searched the ground. On Nov. 4, with a Ranger acting as crew chief, 178 search, fire, rescue, and police personnel continued the search, including eight NYSP drones and a NYSP helicopter. Around 12 p.m., a search crew found the hunter's body. He had been dragging a deer he shot while hunting. At 2:39 p.m. the subject's body was recovered, flown out, and turned over to the coroner.

7FE9F4DD-59AE-4610-99CC-9F086819A51B.jpeg

Didn’t see any deer. Didn’t hear any shots either. Didn’t even see any vehicles parked by the road.

Did see: deer tracks, moose tracks / scat, bear tracks, coyote scat, three squirrel, flushed a grouse (really need a combo gun - or to carry my shotgun). Son had fun and I think I’m convincing him small game is where the fun is at.
107EFEC3-0982-47FA-AB45-0B5DAA9D631B.jpegF33CAB7B-80C9-4C9C-85C5-070058AD521A.jpeg

Taking daughter out tomorrow.

Brother and I struck out today. We love Pittsburg and have hunted here for over 45 years but right now the herd here is not at good numbers. We got all week though so try and try we must!

A bust here as well. Out all week though.
ANYONE have any luck?
Brother and I struck out today. We love Pittsburg and have hunted here for over 45 years but right now the herd here is not at good numbers. We got all week though so try and try we must!
Six so far in my family. Still NH and Maine tags left. Then Mass. Jack.

I've been out in Unit M with my ML about 6 times nothing yet. I'm headed up tomorrow morning with my shotgun (no rifle use where I hunt). I just started see rubs last week, kinda late compared to last year (several sign post rubs were him hard on 10/30 last year for ML opener). Nothing in Maine yet either. Filled a Buck tag first week of Mass archery.

Good luck, my grandfather hunted up there for years. Hopefully you get some snow up there

View attachment 541205

Didn’t see any deer. Didn’t hear any shots either. Didn’t even see any vehicles parked by the road.

Did see: deer tracks, moose tracks / scat, bear tracks, coyote scat, three squirrel, flushed a grouse (really need a combo gun - or to carry my shotgun). Son had fun and I think I’m convincing him small game is where the fun is at.
View attachment 541207View attachment 541208

Taking daughter out tomorrow.
Good luck !

The problem is that it takes a lot of effort. My sons have the advantage of living in good deer country in NH and have a deer camp in Maine. They put out a LOT of tree cams in both locations and check them continually for months. Then they build tree stands in the hot spots. Also, they know the trails, bedding and feeding areas well. Not so easy for the working guy who may just have the weekends to hunt. I was in the same situation for many years and didn't take more than the "occasional " deer till the boys' training and efforts started to pay off. Now my back is gone to hell and I live for the hunting thru my sons and grandkids as you may have noticed. Jack.

Last edited:
The problem is that it takes a lot of effort. My sons have the advantage of living in good deer country in NH and have a deer camp in Maine. They put out a LOT of tree cams in both locations and check them continually for months. Then they build tree stands in the hot spots. Also, they know the trails, bedding and feeding areas well. Not so easy for the working guy who may just have the weekends to hunt. I was in the same situation for many years and didn't take more than the "occasional " deer till the boys' training and efforts started to pay off. Now my back is gone to hell and I live for the hunting thru my sons and grandkids as you may have noticed. Jack.
Absolutely this.

I like to bitch a lot about having no luck when it comes to deer hunting, but the truth is I depend on luck and not work, or even common sense to hunt antlered rats.

I don’t bother with cams because I won’t hunt from a stand. I’d rather hang myself than sit in a tree stand. I still hunt or track. Coming close enough to see a deer you’ve tracked all day is a thrill, even if you don’t get the shot.

I still find small game more my style, but any time in the woods with my kids and my God isn’t wasted.

Absolutely this.

I like to bitch a lot about having no luck when it comes to deer hunting, but the truth is I depend on luck and not work, or even common sense to hunt antlered rats.

I don’t bother with cams because I won’t hunt from a stand. I’d rather hang myself than sit in a tree stand. I still hunt or track. Coming close enough to see a deer you’ve tracked all day is a thrill, even if you don’t get the shot.

I still find small game more my style, but any time in the woods with my kids and my God isn’t wasted.
My guys use the tree stands when bow hunting early and late in the day. Every deer that they have taken by bow has been taken from the stands. Rifle and shotgun, they still hunt. Jack.

My guys use the tree stands when bow hunting early and late in the day. Every deer that they have taken by bow has been taken from the stands. Rifle and shotgun, they still hunt. Jack.

Deer can get close to you whether your on the ground or in a stand. But if your bowhunting most deer that are close are not going to sit there and watch you draw your bow. If you want to be repeatedly successful year to year bowhunting, a stand is a fairly mandatory. Unless your in a place with one hell of a lot of stupid deer.

So where are you hunting? NH son Lance and Little Jack have both filled their bow tags and Lance just tipped over a buck with rifle this AM. They tell me that they have seen more deer this year than ever before. They hunt where there are plenty of acorns. Jack.

This is the thing, they have food and water everywhere, find a spot where they have food, water and bedding. The deer on my property haven't been moving as much because they don't need to. Less cam pictures because there is less deer movement, tons of deer they are just staying in small areas.

My son tagged one. Double lung with the 50 cal. 70 yards we paced it off. 70 yard is the truth he was hunting a large field and it ran back into the woods after he hit it.

122 pounds. He was by himself a few miles away from me we split up to increase the odds. I came over to help him drag. He texted me and said he shot and missed.....couldn't find blood.....then 15 minutes later texted He had a blood trail of foamy blood so it looked good......he got to it and had to chase a coyote off that had already found it.

The blood trail didn't start for about 30 yards from where he shot it. I've discussed this on nes before it's my belief that a higher shot takes longer to spill blood. He did hit high but did get both lungs.

IMG_1841.jpg20211113_080435.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats to your son!

Just asking...why not use the regular rifle since rifle season is open?

Are you hunting in a shotgun only zone?

Congrats to your son!

Just asking...why not use the regular rifle since rifle season is open?

Are you hunting in a shotgun only zone?
Shotgun only zone.....and he likes the muzzle loader better than the shotgun it's more accurate

That 250 grain tc Shockwave projo expanded well.....huge hole in the lungs. It did pass through but lots of expansion damage inside

Shotgun only zone.....and he likes the muzzle loader better than the shotgun it's more accurate

That 250 grain tc Shockwave projo expanded well.....huge hole in the lungs. It did pass through but lots of expansion damage inside
Yeah....Most muzzleloaders are more accurate than shotguns, mine included. I hear about and see a lot of guys in MA hunt with the muzzleloader during shotgun season, some because they can't own a gun, but others that can, because they find it more accurate.

Yeah....Most muzzleloaders are more accurate than shotguns, mine included. I hear about and see a lot of guys in MA hunt with the muzzleloader during shotgun season, some because they can't own a gun, but others that can, because they find it more accurate.
If you do it right and be patient it only takes one shot anyway.

Tagged out with the AR. Headshot from 35 yards. He was an 8 pointer at some point this summer. His breaks on the antlers are not new. Getting ready to bring it over to @one-eyed Jack family cooler.

View attachment 543333
Congrats. Nice buck. Lance and Little Jack will keep it cool for you. They also have a cutting table and grinder. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom