Opening Day NH

Nothing this morning. Took my wife this time after a trip to the club yesterday to have her put a few rounds through her muzzleoader. She's dead on at 50 yards. Had fun anyway. It's much more fun huting knowing there is already one deer in the freezer.

Back out this afternoon to try again.

Nothing this morning. Took my wife this time after a trip to the club yesterday to have her put a few rounds through her muzzleoader. She's dead on at 50 yards. Had fun anyway. It's much more fun huting knowing there is already one deer in the freezer.

Back out this afternoon to try again.

We were out Friday/Saturday. My dad shot a small button buck Friday AM. That’s 3 deer between the two of us. We still both have antlerless tags, but my season ended yesterday, unless I can sneak back up another weekend. Packing up the gear and to the butcher shop today.

Haven't gotten back out again - keep thinking "maybe this afternoon after work" but then I say screw it. Odd thing is that this attitude is pretty much unanimous among everyone I know. I think the lack of deer up here is a real downer to any enthusasiam.

I'm off work Wednesday and Thursday, and the kids are out of school, so my daughter agreed to go Wednesday. This time I'll be smart and bring a damn shotgun - maybe if I don't bring any slugs it'll guarantee a shot for her, lol.

Only one more week and this WMU's season is over. Then I'll be back out. I don't want to hunt birds while deer season is active, just because I don't like them doesn't mean I need to screw up someone else's hunt.

Me and the kids were talking about the possibility of going downstate and hunting a couple days in areas with better populations, maybe the wife could shop someplace.

WUT??? You can't kill a deer with a 556???? Saw it on the internet!
When I was young and spending time with the grandparents in NH, one of my jobs was to put meat on the table. I drilled a small spike between the eyes with a .22lr round at close range. Dropped right there. For the record, grandpa tagged it. Jack.

I drilled a small spike between the eyes with a .22lr round at close range. Dropped right there. For the record, grandpa tagged it. Jack.
Hunted with an old timer that was not only one hell of a shot, but said he had killed every large animal in the USA minus a Kodiac Bear with a 30 cal carbine. I don't think I would pull the trigger on a Grizzly with a carbine.

Got my son's deer back from the butcher. My brother's should be ready today or tomorrow.

18 each 3 packs of sweet sausage links this year for ice fishing season so we're good there. 👍 10 pounds of stew meat for winter crock pot cooking. Countless steaks of course for the cast iron skillet. I'm still hubting to fill a tag for myself as well.

We asked the butcher for whole shanks this year......I've had braised beef shank before and it's amazing. Looking online now for a good braised venison shank recipe now. Will cook those up this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom