Opinion please: 357 magnum or sig

ReggieB9mm

NES Member
Probably hashed out, but I’d like to know your opinion. If you were to go out today, would you buy a 357 magnum revolver or a 357 sig semi? And why or why not? I am leaning towards the revolver at the moment as this will be an EDC.

Open or concealed carry and why those particular calibers? I think a better question would be semi or revolver for <insert open or concealed> EDC. Then I’d begin discussing calibers and I certainly wouldn’t limit it to those two.

Open or concealed carry and why those particular calibers? I think a better question would be semi or revolver for <insert open or concealed> EDC. Then I’d begin discussing calibers and I certainly wouldn’t limit it to those two.
Fair questions. Concealed. Looking for something more powerful than my 9. Probably a psychological thing, but I am conviced I would be better able to protect myself with a 357. I am open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Fair questions. Concealed. Looking for something more powerful than my 9. Probably a psychological thing, but I am conviced I would be better able to protect myself with a 357. I am open to suggestions.
If you want more power get a 40. It can also be used as an explosive devise especially if it's a Glock! ;) [laugh] I like the 357magnum and revolvers but if you're planning on carrying I'd lean more towards the Sig.

Imho...everyone should own at least 1 decent .357 wheel gun
(and a matching .357 lever rifle)

:)
Fully Agree.
There are many calibers that perform a ‘more than adequate’ in a self defense role. But when you can have a highly effective self defense round in Both a nice revolver and lever action carbine it expands the utility of tour ammo spend.
That seems to be a Win-Win to me.

I've never fired .357 sig. But I had a .357 mag revolver and it was fine; it's a classic caliber. Like you, I liked the idea of having that kind of power.

However.

Once I got to the range I found I was less accurate with the .357 than I was with my .38 spl revolvers. I certainly could have practiced harder with the .357, but frankly I shoot .38 so intuitively that I'm much, much more confident in that caliber. So I sold the .357. The moral: my mental set was less important than my practical skills. I'm sure I'll hit what I'm aiming at in .38 spl; I didn't feel that way about .357.

Regardless, a classic revolver is a great thing. I bought a Ruger for peanuts and made my money back once I sold it.

Neither! Go 44 Magnum! [wink]
s-l400.jpg

I’m glad someone finally asked this question of 357 mag vs sig. it’s only been dribbling along since 1994.

it’s honestly pretty simple: are you still angry about having to upgrade from a rotary to touch-tone telephone? If so then you probably want that revolver it will go nicely with the overalls and rollator.

Last edited:
I’m glad someone finally asked this question of 357 mag vs sig. it’s only been dribbling along since 1994.

it’s honestly pretty simple: are you still angry about having to upgrade from a rotary to touch-tone telephone? If so then you probably want that revolver it will go nicely with the overalls and rollator.
The revolver is also a bit more handy in those late night games of russian roulette [laugh]

Depends on your needs. If it were my only gun, if i didnt have a semiauto pistol, id probably choose .357 sig. if you were in a little deeper id go .357 mag.

Will you be able to carry a 4” barrel full sized revolver concealed? I love revolvers and .357 mag but not lightweight or snub barrel carry ones. You lose a lot of performance going shorter then 4” w/ the mag and the snub .357 mag carry revolvers generally suck to shoot which means less practice - that doesn’t make for better able to protect yourself. Also, are you accounting for accuracy & capacity in your “better able to protect yourself” scenario? I’ll take 21 rounds of 9mm in my Sig 365 (10 + 1 & a spare mag) all day every day over 5 or 6 x .357 mag revolver if I’m concerned about protecting myself. It’s cheaper/easier to train with and far more available too.

Not familiar enough w the carry gun options in .357 Sig nor the caliber itself to comment on that although if I were looking to upgrade from 9mm to a more powerful semi round I probably wouldn’t limit myself to Sig .357. What about 10mm? .45ACP? Fotay?

Probably hashed out, but I’d like to know your opinion. If you were to go out today, would you buy a 357 magnum revolver or a 357 sig semi? And why or why not? I am leaning towards the revolver at the moment as this will be an EDC.
I have both, and I handload for both. If you want practicality and versatility go with the tried and true 357 mag. 357 Sig is a great cartridge with a flat and fast ballistics, however ammo is VERY expensive and can be difficult to find. I have the advantage of reloading so ammo cost is not a concern. 357 mag ammo is also pricey but not near as much as 357 Sig. If you plan on shooting a lot of ammo this needs to be a primary purchase factor. I have the Ruger GP100 in 357 mag and I absolutely LOVE it, it's by far my most consistent handgun for tight shot groups that I own. I also have a Sig P226 Elite in 357 Sig and while it's a dream to shoot, I don't shoot it nearly as accurate as my GP100 . The 357 Sig is a stout caliber that kicks even with a full alloy framed handgun. My P226 is new work in progress as i've only had the handgun for about 6 months.

No, I just want to feel it’s bulge. Sorry, no not really

I had a 226 in .357sig. I liked the cartridge but didn’t love it. I think my bigger problem was the 226 being a dak model. Might eventually get a conversion barrel for for one of my fortays as I did enjoy the snappiness and the fire ball. I do love shooting my sw 627 and 80’s era Ruger blackhawk. .357 mag definitely wins out

Will you be able to carry a 4” barrel full sized revolver concealed? I love revolvers and .357 mag but not lightweight or snub barrel carry ones. You lose a lot of performance going shorter then 4” w/ the mag and the snub .357 mag carry revolvers generally suck to shoot which means less practice - that doesn’t make for better able to protect yourself. Also, are you accounting for accuracy & capacity in your “better able to protect yourself” scenario? I’ll take 21 rounds of 9mm in my Sig 365 (10 + 1 & a spare mag) all day every day over 5 or 6 x .357 mag revolver if I’m concerned about protecting myself. It’s cheaper/easier to train with and far more available too.

Not familiar enough w the carry gun options in .357 Sig nor the caliber itself to comment on that although if I were looking to upgrade from 9mm to a more powerful semi round I probably wouldn’t limit myself to Sig .357. What about 10mm? .45ACP? Fotay?
Good points, but I am a very big guy so I can carry a revolver easily. It would be my primary and my 9 would be my secondary.

Back
Top Bottom