• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinions On .17 HM2 and .17 HMR

I've been looking into getting another inexpensive rifle to shoot. This years ( small ) tax return went into getting a few guns I can actually afford to shot ( a 91/30 nagant, a ruger mark2 22/45, and a marlin model 60 ) I already have a Savage Mark II with a heavy barrel and an accu trigger in .22 But I was seriously considering getting a Savage model 93R17 BTV which is chambered in .17M2

I guess my question is 1. is it a good round? obviously is only for putting holes in paper, but out to what range? and 2. Is this round going to be here to stay? I dont want to have money into a gun that I cant find/get ammo for....

I've noticed the price drop on the ammo, which makes it much more attractive! I place me and my brother buy from has 500 rounds for less that $65

what do ya think?

drb

edit: ok wow, I'm not starting off so well. I didnt realize there are two .17 rounds(??) and the savage is chambered in .17 HMR.....

ok, I'm confussed...

Last edited:
I love the .17HMR for plinking. A friend of mine has a Savage bolt gun in .17HMR with the accutrigger and a nice rimfire scope. It is like pointing a laser at plinking distances (50 yards or so). The downside of it is that the little .17 moves all over the place in the wind.

After doing a bit of reading it seems as though I dont want either! The .17 HMR isnt cheap ( I might as well shoot my AR ) and the .17 hm2 seems as though its being liquidated from a lot of stores inventory........

The .17hmr looks like a GREAT target round, but $14 per 50 is not enough of a cost savings to get a whole rifle setup over. Maybe another .22 is in order ( a 10/22 with a boyds evo stock?? )

i have bee researching the same thing since i want another rimfire but something with flatter traj. check this out

17n22.png

i have bee researching the same thing since i want another rimfire but something with flatter traj. check this out

17n22.png

interesting........ .22 lr falls off the table at 100yds. 100yds is my max, at the moment I'm not worried about anything past that ( as I dont belong to a range that has anything longer )

I'll be honest, cost per round is pretty high on my list. And is seems that the .17 hmr would not be cost effective enough. The .17hm2 is interesting, but I wonder about is longevity.

drb

Hmmm...I mistakenly purchased some ELEY 17 Mach2 and can barely give it away! I guess no one shoots this caliber. Only three boxes (150 rounds) so it's not worth shipping.

interesting........ .22 lr falls off the table at 100yds. 100yds is my max, at the moment I'm not worried about anything past that ( as I dont belong to a range that has anything longer )

I'll be honest, cost per round is pretty high on my list. And is seems that the .17 hmr would not be cost effective enough. The .17hm2 is interesting, but I wonder about is longevity.

drb
ya i have my .22 for cost per round...to be honest though, when im shooting for accuracy out to 100yrds, i dont put that much lead down range. ill put maybe 50-75rnds all day since i am taking my time and whatnot. if im shooting the .22 on irons at 25-50yrds, ill put 200-300 down range, which again is why i have my .22

.17HMR is a good round. I have never paid more than $14.00. Most of the time I get CCI 20gr gamepoints for $12.50. I picked up a Marlin 917V for my boys last year. $200.00 OTD at Rileys. We don't really use it to punch paper. Mostly woodchucks. I tossed an old BSA Contender 6-24x40mmAO that I had laying around on it. The .17M2 is popular in the western part of the country, it will be around for a long time. I still shoot my .22mag alot. Very accurate w/ CCI Maxi Mag 40grHP's. They reach out further than the 30..33gr plastic tip.

Back
Top Bottom