• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Optic for ar?

I was looking at pst2 1-6, but strike eagle might be fine I haven't teied one of those before, but the 5-25 viper pst2 I have has been great
i like my 1-6x, but have mixed feelings after using 1-10x. i have a tendency of hoarding optics, lenses, cameras, i do realize the problem and need to deal with it. :)
but still do not know if i want to keep it, or sell it. it is nice, in all aspects, but, too bulky for my taste and heavier than i want.

I have a strike eagle and it’s a good low end scope, but if I were to do it again I’d save more for a trijicon. I’ve been super impressed with their glass between my acog and TenMile
And now that I’m developing some ocd tendencies with my gun parts, I only want FFP but to each their own.

I have a strike eagle and it’s a good low end scope, but if I were to do it again I’d save more for a trijicon. I’ve been super impressed with their glass between my acog and TenMile
And now that I’m developing some ocd tendencies with my gun parts, I only want FFP but to each their own.
I am prejudiced about expensive glass on a rifle- it always makes me think too much about it. The sweet spot is somewhere around $500, for glass on sale - that way it is not a crappy quality, but, not yet a prized cow you will treasure too much and afraid to damage. Also it gets real quick to a point of diminishing return there.
Both new 1-10x trijicon and vortex razor are at $2k, and it is just too much.

I am prejudiced about expensive glass on a rifle- it always makes me think too much about it. The sweet spot is somewhere around $500, for glass on sale - that way it is not a crappy quality, but, not yet a prized cow you will treasure too much and afraid to damage. Also it gets real quick to a point of diminishing return there.
I have a ZCO and cried a little inside when I realized I got blood on the elevation and scratched up the windage because I launch brass. Then the sadness passed when I thought about how I’m keeping it forever.

Well on the flip side, not that I would likely ever spend 2k on optics for a carbine, the expensive stuff also tends to be harder to damage. Like in testing ACOGs my understanding is they actually shot them, ie not the actual glass but to gauge shock resistance. Not that I have had problems with my PA stuff beyond needing to loctite the base screws, but I bet they are much easier to damage.

The viper PST 1-6 gen2 is where it’s at for budget LPVOs. Most important feature is a daylight bright (as opposed to daylight visible) red dot. Second, it’s not a tank like the Razor, but more like a light armored vehicle. Same reticle as the Razor too. Some people online say that it’s actually 75% of the razor at 1/3 rd of the price. Tough to find in the OP’s price range tho.

The viper PST 1-6 gen2 is where it’s at for budget LPVOs. Most important feature is a daylight bright (as opposed to daylight visible) red dot. Second, it’s not a tank like the Razor, but more like a light armored vehicle. Same reticle as the Razor too. Some people online say that it’s actually 75% of the razor at 1/3 rd of the price. Tough to find in the OP’s price range tho.
Ive been debating placing an order all day on one, guess I will now + the deal on midway today

Take a look at the Primary Arms red dots. Have them on my ARs. Have held up well and have great reviews.
yep, we had a couple of group buys here, i have 3 we got for 80 bucks or so just because they were changing the graphics on the box. perfect for what most of us use them for but i don't think they have the seal of approval as far as combat grade from our alpha male gunfighter members. i've had my oldest for quite a while and been beat and dropped and keeps coming back for more. the armchair warrior greencobra gives them 2 thumbs up.

Ive been debating placing an order all day on one, guess I will now + the deal on midway today
$600 is not really a deal… but, it is good glass, only minus is a 6x. Try to compare it with a 1-8x strike eagle, use Amazon to be able to return.
I am keeping mine, but, after using 1-10x it is not that sexy. :)

$600 is not really a deal… but, it is good glass, only minus is a 6x. Try to compare it with a 1-8x strike eagle, use Amazon to be able to return.
I am keeping mine, but, after using 1-10x it is not that sexy. :)
Theres an extra $75 off the 600

Holosun 510c is pretty sweet and great if you have an astigmatism.
I have 4 of these and for a close quarters AR within 100yrds it cannot be beat imho. The zero parallax and 65moa ring with 2moa can help a blind man shoot straight. And look it’s on sale right now for about $40 cheaper than I bought mine.
Holosun HS510C 2 MOA Dot Or A 65 MOA Ring Open Reflex Circle Dot Solar Power Holographic Red Dot Sight Amazon product ASIN B01MT5RJLDView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT5RJLD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_PJHVCHZ070P8M7YHXSQ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

100yds with 6x is fine, at 200yds aiming at a 1” bullseye is difficult. So if you do not plan to go beyond 100yds - it is a good scope for that.
Worst case ill sell to a friend and get something with a bit more

I have 4 of these and for a close quarters AR within 100yrds it cannot be beat imho. The zero parallax and 65moa ring with 2moa can help a blind man shoot straight. And look it’s on sale right now for about $40 cheaper than I bought mine.
Holosun HS510C 2 MOA Dot Or A 65 MOA Ring Open Reflex Circle Dot Solar Power Holographic Red Dot Sight Amazon product ASIN B01MT5RJLDView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT5RJLD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_PJHVCHZ070P8M7YHXSQ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I have one of these + the 3x magnifier and it works great

A bunch of people will bitch (because china) but the Holosun chinamen stuff is good stuff, for the money. I have a 510C and a bunch of the other small round ones.

For those bitching, where's an aimpoint circle dot I can buy? oh yeah, it doesn't exist. Eotech is the only company doing that, and they make a fuzzy thing that eats batteries.

A bunch of people will bitch (because china) but the Holosun chinamen stuff is good stuff, for the money. I have a 510C and a bunch of the other small round ones.

For those bitching, where's an aimpoint circle dot I can buy? oh yeah, it doesn't exist. Eotech is the only company doing that, and they make a fuzzy thing that eats batteries.
Yeah, the China angle is one aspect that we could harp on like sirens in the sea but face it, they do it better for cheaper and if you wanna be patriotic that’s fine, buy the Eotech. I’ll stick with the holosuns when money doesn’t grow on trees and the purchase power is getting smaller by the day.

Shit I paid $299 2 months ago. Nice find.

Worst case ill sell to a friend and get something with a bit more
It really depends. Viper is awesome at 1x. No need for a red dot - huge eyebox and it is like a window, you can see with both eyes and no distortion. 1-10x arrowhead is darker at 6x, less contrast compared to viper, but also clean at 1x. Eyebox is smaller too. But it is better than a strike eagle. I looked over quite a bunch of those lower segment scopes lately and none are perfect. None are bad either. It really gets down to specific details you want and like about reticle, design, weight etc.
Red dots I can’t do - astigmatism.

It really depends. Viper is awesome at 1x. No need for a red dot - huge eyebox and it is like a window, you can see with both eyes and no distortion. 1-10x arrowhead is darker at 6x, less contrast compared to viper, but also clean at 1x. Eyebox is smaller too. But it is better than a strike eagle. I looked over quite a bunch of those lower segment scopes lately and none are perfect. None are bad either. It really gets down to specific details you want and like about reticle, design, weight etc.
I mostly made the choice because I like my viper gen2 5-25, so figured Id stick with another

Yeah, the China angle is one aspect that we could harp on like sirens in the sea but face it, they do it better for cheaper and if you wanna be patriotic that’s fine, buy the Eotech. I’ll stick with the holosuns when money doesn’t grow on trees and the purchase power is getting smaller by the day.

It'd be one thing if I only had one gun to set up. And I still have my Aimpoint PRO around too, regardless.

I mostly made the choice because I like my viper gen2 5-25, so figured Id stick with another
I also have it and concur. Pst2 is a very good glass. In good and moderate light it is not worse than a razor.

Even with a halo?
I have them in on my handguns, do not want it on rifles. I tried, but, dunno, a prism feels much better. I set tavor on a 3x prism now and it is adequate.
I just played with pintys not long ago - tried to move it around, nope.

Well on the flip side, not that I would likely ever spend 2k on optics for a carbine, the expensive stuff also tends to be harder to damage. Like in testing ACOGs my understanding is they actually shot them, ie not the actual glass but to gauge shock resistance. Not that I have had problems with my PA stuff beyond needing to loctite the base screws, but I bet they are much easier to damage.
I’ve seen several ACOGs outlast the guns they were on after IEDs. Nothing but cracked glass, where the gun was in pieces. Now, no idea if it still held its zero because the gun was destroyed and we couldn’t check.

Back
Top Bottom