Optic mounted far forward...

Just purchased a Mark IV / Volquartsen 22 pistol. Would like to hear opinions on mounting a Red Dot optic, specifically location.

Been noticing similar setups where optics are mounted way forward. Is there a reason for this? Is it to clear the ejection port?

Attachments

• DE2EF16E-1943-4DB0-A5D7-39792C555C8E.jpeg
    DE2EF16E-1943-4DB0-A5D7-39792C555C8E.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 24
In general, a red dot sight can go wherever you want it on the rail. In my opinion, the biggest factor is balance of the pistol. With a small red dot sight, like a FastFire III, the weight does not make much difference, but it is still noticeable during offhand target shooting. With a larger sight, like a Bushnell TRS-25, the balance matters quite a bit. I generally prefer the balance when the sight is a bit in front of the rear sight. This puts the sight quite close to the ejection port, but it has not caused me any problems.

Many people put the sight where they think it visually looks best. And while that is OK, I often find that the balance is a little off.

Thanks for the response. In retrospect this makes sense now. I didn’t think balance would be a factor which explains why I am seeing optics mounted anywhere along the rail.

In my thinking process, before your response, I was also thinking it was to allow for people to find a spot along the rail that helped them acquire the red dot quicker.

Back
Top Bottom