Optics at 300yrds?

I have qualified to use the 300yrd range at my club. I have not yet shot out any further than 100yrds. The most powerful scope I have is 4-16x50 Nikon Monarch. Will this be sufficient enough for this distance or should I not waste my time and find a more powerful scope?
Thanks Jr.

I have qualified to use the 300yrd range at my club. I have not yet shot out any further than 100yrds. The most powerful scope I have is 4-16x50 Nikon Monarch. Will this be sufficient enough for this distance or should I not waste my time and find a more powerful scope?
Thanks Jr.
I've shot at 600 yards with iron sights. That scope is more than powerful enough.

Thanks Jr.

More than enough.

Ok, thanks guys. I guess i'll be good with it. It will save me some loot too. Although, reading the newspaper at that distance would be pretty cool[smile].

That scope is plenty. I shoot at 300 yards at Harvard. Sometimes I shoot a rifle with a scope and sometimes I shoot old military rifles with iron sights. If I use open sights, I just shoot at bigger stuff. I don't think you'll be reading the newspaper at 300 yards with a 16 power scope but you should be able to hit it pretty easily.

Did you really have to qualify to be able to shoot at 300yds.....what club Ill remember never to join.

But that monarch is plenty, Hell a 1-4x will be fine. And you have one adjustable to 16x that's overkill. People use 10x out to 1k you're not gonna shoot small groups but hit a man sized Target is doable.........if you're good enough

Did you really have to qualify to be able to shoot at 300yds.....what club Ill remember never to join.

Harvard requires qualification to shoot on the 200/300. The club is concerned about ricochets into area homes, and rightfully so. It is a one time thing that is very easy to take care of.

Sorry to hi-jack, but does anyone know of a high powered long distance range that is close to winchester ma? I'm at Bilerica now but they only have 100 yards

You can get out to 300 at Harvard and 600 at Reading, MA and Nashua, NH

I have never shot at Harvard so I can't comment but with a scoped rifle.....300 ain't hard, off hand iron sites its difficult

Also there's a place out by Albany ny that's 1k, Forbes its called. From western mass here its like and 1-2 hr drive. I've haven't been but older coworker shot there once or twice back when he was young, said its a nice place strict but a good place

Last edited:
Sorry to hi-jack, but does anyone know of a high powered long distance range that is close to winchester ma? I'm at Bilerica now but they only have 100 yards

MRA in Woburn has a 200 yard range and a lot of other facilities, including a 25 yd indoor range that allows centerfire rifle. Check them out; they have a web site. I also belong to Harvard and really enjoy the 200/300 yard range along with the Action Shooting pits. Another great club, just a longer ride. They also have a web site.

The backstop at the 300 yard range at Harvard isn't all that high and the range faces towards downtown Harvard. They don't want someone skipping a round over the berm. Back when I did the qualification some years back, it wasn't a big deal. I had to show them a target from the 100 yard range with my rounds on paper, and hit the target at 200 and 300 yards.

The backstop at the 300 yard range at Harvard isn't all that high and the range faces towards downtown Harvard. They don't want someone skipping a round over the berm. Back when I did the qualification some years back, it wasn't a big deal. I had to show them a target from the 100 yard range with my rounds on paper, and hit the target at 200 and 300 yards.

The qual is even easier. You need to shoot the 100 yard target and then but 5-8 rounds on paper at 200 yards. They don't require any shots at 300.

Did you really have to qualify to be able to shoot at 300yds.....what club Ill remember never to join

If you knew the layout of Tauntons outdoor range, you'd agree to the 300 yd. qualification rule. With rt. 495 + rt. 24 not more than probobly 1/4 mile away, and a school which directly abuts the range property, safety has to take utmost precedent to prevent any kind of accident which ultimately would cause all kinds of headaches for any of those involved.......

Harvard requires qualification to shoot on the 200/300. The club is concerned about ricochets into area homes, and rightfully so. It is a one time thing that is very easy to take care of.

That's if you can actually get the qual people out there on the designated days... I've been a member for 3 years now and each time I went on the appointed day, no one ever showed up. When I tried contacting the qualification person I never got a response.

I love HSC and will probably re-up my membership if/when I move back to New England after my service obligation is up, but the fact that I only ever got to use that range once (USPSA rifle match) really pissed me off.

Back
Top Bottom