• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Optics debate.

DarthRevan

NES Member
Hey guys, question for you.
Given the choice of the three, which would you rather:
A dedicated scope with 45 degree iron sights,
A HAMR scope or another equivalent,
or a EOTech with flip magnifier?

reasons and product links, go!

ETA:
I intend to spend range days quickly switching between near and far targets. I don't want to be detaching entire scopes if I don't need to.

Last edited:
Really depends on what you want to use it for .

My ar is setup with a reflex style site with flip up back up sites .
I thought of using a flip out magnifier . Part of me worried I'd wack it on some thing and break it some how.
I could see the use of it if your in some type of comp that it would help you out. Don't use it for closer targets then flip in it when your shooting farther. For me I figured I could just get one that goes on and off with a quick detach since you don't zero them. I don't really have a need for the flip out cause I'm not going between different distance that much. The couple of eotech guns I shot with a magnifier when using it it just helps extend the useable range of it. For the magnification I thought a normal scope or acog would be a better option.

I'm building a dmr style with just a scope that I'm gonna use for 200 yards pulse. No flip ups etc.

I've shot a few ar's with a hamr style setup.
It was weird getting a sight picture.
People complain about true Russian optics about them being mounted to high . I don't have a problem like that on my psl . But my friends ar it just didn't feel right .

Have you thought about a 45 deg mount ?
Run a high power scope or some thing like a 4x then on the 45 mount have iron sights or some type of red dot ?

Last edited:
Hey guys, question for you.
Given the choice of the three, which would you rather:
A dedicated scope with cantilevered sights,
A HAMR scope or another equivalent,
or a EOTech with flip magnifier?

reasons and product links, go!

I am pretty happy with my aim point pro. Just about eternal battery life excellent price point. For distance shooting would prefer a scope to a magnifier.

That's what I was referring to cantilever

3bfaab89315e02ac74456e46a7a752e6.jpg

That's a cantilever mount most think of . It allows you to mount the scope forwards more.

I dont like the magnifier setups for red dots. If you want a magnified scope setup a 1-4 or a 1-6 works well and doesnt add a lot of dead weight. The HAMR is like a lead weight. Vortex HD 1-6 is ideal with a QD mount. I have the Vortex 1-4 and it is excellent as well. There are many good scopes in this category starting around $400 and going up to $1700.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

I'd like to be able to see clearly the holes I'm punching at 100yds.

Rifle scopes aren't for seeing holes, they are used to help make them.

I like my Eotech 556, but it is certainly not a target optic. I also don't consider the flip out magnifier a great option. For me it covers a lot of field of view to anything on the right side of the weapon while shooting.

I had a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-3 that I liked very much on my DPMS 3g1. Only problem was me adjusting to the .5 magnification while moving on up close targets... I just couldn't do it consistently

IMHO flip to side magnifiers suck, I dont like the transfer of weight and the blocking on your preferable vision when its flipped over. Just my personal opinion based on experience with an xps3 and g33 combo.

I'd go dedicated scope with 45deg for a primary battle rifle meant for one person.

I'm also not a fan of the flip magnifier. They are bulky and awkward.

If it's going to be used by more than one person the EoTech might be the smarter route.

I'd go dedicated scope with 45deg for a primary battle rifle meant for one person.

I'm also not a fan of the flip magnifier. They are bulky and awkward.

If it's going to be used by more than one person the EoTech might be the smarter route.
The more I think about it the more I like this idea.

Go with an ACOG on the receiver with an aimpoint t1 mounted on a 45 degree cant just forward on the rail. Winning.

The optic that Derek posted is pretty awesome. When it's attached.

[rofl]

Seriously though. I'll be buying something along that line, if not that exact one, when I assemble my next rifle.

On the ACOG I highly recommend you actually use one before you buy one. Try it in full sun, cloud and dark if possible. Personally, I do not like the ACOG for daytime use. The reticle is too washed out in full sun for me and it blocks out the target. If you like a big reticle, get the EoTech with the donut.

Whichever way you go try hard to personally handle one first.

Try not too laugh at how much they use the world tactical in one paragraph...Bad ass scope though,pretty damn tactical, you might have too show your Operators license before they let you purchase the scope though.

The Mark 6 series offers state-of-the-art tactical features that are common throughout Leupold's Tactical product line. Hands down, the most commonly used phrase we hear from tactical end users is, "smaller, lighter, faster" when describing the perfect optic. Leupold Tactical Optics; we listened. And delivered.

This scope with the TMR-D reticle.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/mark-6-riflescopes/mark-6-1-6x20mm-34mm-m6c1/

Last edited:
I have an Aimpoint PRO, EoTech, and 1-4x Burris XTR scope. Of them, I like the 1-4x the most, it is a good all around optic. Followed by the Aimpoint, it is pretty much idiot proof.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot about that one, probably because I saw the price and had a small seizure [laugh]

jesus!

Back
Top Bottom