Optics debate.

I found the Millet DMS to be very meh, even for the price. I bent the occular bell on mine when the rifle fell over on to a pile of clothes. Millet was good about replacing it, but seriously a pile of clothes.

The illumination is not daytime visible so it was slow to shoot up close compared to a red dot.

A nicer QD mount is the LaRue. It's $200, but worth every penny.

Yup. Lulz at dudes with >$500 glass on $50 mounts. I would rather have a tasco scope on a Larue mount than a Schmidt and Bender scope on a tasco mount.

How far is far? Something like this will get you from 0-100+ yards easy: http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-Optics-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P61352.aspx

That looks like a good one. Why hasn't this scope come up before in all these discussions? 4x, 30mm, powered, relatively inexpensive

I had a feeling a good one was up about that price.

Yeah, no kidding. Nice stuff.

For a general use AR, 1-4x (or 1-6 or 1-8 if you can afford it) is the way to go. There's a reason it's what almost all the 3 gun guys use. 1x is almost as fast as a red dot up close, and 4x is usable out to the limits of 223. The only reason I'd use anything else is going to a red dot to save weight or going to a higher power scope for precision paper punching at long distance.

What about the Nikon fixed 3x? Kind of in between, and more compact with less moving parts.

All this said, I tried a HAMR that a NES guy had, and it was pretty cool.

That looks like a good one. Why hasn't this scope come up before in all these discussions? 4x, 30mm, powered, relatively inexpensive

Don't know, it's a great scope. I had the non-illuminated version of it for a while, and don't have any complaints about it. Some people don't like the 223 drop hashes on the reticle, but nobody makes you use them. I liked it enough when I "moved on" (read: wife stole it for her AR) from the 1-4x I kept with the AR optics line and got the 4.5-18x.

What about the Nikon fixed 3x? Kind of in between, and more compact with less moving parts.

Some people can shoot fast and accurately up close with a illuminated fixed magnified scope by shooting with both eyes open and using it like a red dot (google "bindon aiming concept") I tried it and I can't.

Like it always does with scopes, it depends what you want to do with it. The beauty of the illuminated 1-4 is that it's good for everything except precision long range paper punching. It's as fast as a red dot up close and has 4x for distance. A red dot has the advantage of being lighter and simpler but shooting past 200 is MUCH easier with some magnification. A fixed 3 or 4x may be cheaper/lighter/simpler for 200+, but shooting for speed on an array of targets from 5-50 yards is slow and awkward.

I found the Millet DMS to be very meh, even for the price. I bent the occular bell on mine when the rifle fell over on to a pile of clothes. Millet was good about replacing it, but seriously a pile of clothes.

The illumination is not daytime visible so it was slow to shoot up close compared to a red dot.

+1 I've seen Millets break with little use. I would avoid.

Back
Top Bottom