• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Optics for a 50 BMG

I have a Burris Signature 8-32 that went a hundred rounds on a bolt gun without a problem.
You should watch for a scope that also has enough elevation adjustment, if you intend to shoot long range.

The Super Sniper is supposed to be awesome! Barret has their own scopes now too I think.

Last edited:
Best Scopes: Schmidt & Bender, US Optics, IOR Valdada, and Leupold. That is the short list. $200 will barely buy you a set of RINGS, let alone a scope. If you have a .50, you would want extra strong rings, which usually have 6 screws, not 4. IOR Valdada and Badger Ordnance make these, I'd go with those.

A real scope for long range shooting starts in the $1500 range and goes well into the $2500 range. That is the sad truth, but if you have .50 you can hit things at 1000m, but you'll need a scope that can keep up (and won't break). Also, Schmidt & Bender and US Optics have a major advantage: you can get a scope in which the reticle marks and knobs are in same metric, that is to say, if it is a mil-dot/hash reticle, you can also have mil (.1) knob adjustments, instead of MOA. This is great, because your reticle and knobs now line up, instead of one being in mils and the other being in MOA. Also, US Optics lets you dial out to 1000m within 2 full rotations of elevation, but has a unique knob that changes color, so you know how many times you have gone around, so you don't lose your spot. Also, they have zero-stops. Finally, they come in 34 or 35mm tube sizes, which let in more light. My IOR Valdada is 35mm as well, amazing clarity and light (plus it is illuminated with side paralax focus). Anyway, it is these extra features that separate these 4 brands from the rest of the pack. But they are hella expensive, but worth it. I'm personally thinking of getting a US Optics for my next rifle, if I can afford it (ie, not eat for next 3 yrs).

Six screws:

30611.jpg

3 on each side, to really snug it down.

I just ordered the super sniper. I liked the Leupold's, but too much for me.

Now Chris, I need those rings.

The 50 BMG I brought to the group shoot last fall has a Leupold Var-III 6.5X20X50mm Long Range Target scope on it. Like the one in this link:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-vari-x-iii-85-20x50mm-long-range-target-rifle-scope.html

It's not cheap, but I've shot well over two hundred rounds through my Serbu and I've never had a problem with it holding zero at all.

Also, I have it mounted using the three screw scope rings shown above. They are rock solid and my scope has not slipped at all using them. I picked them up from a guy over at Biggerhammer.net.

They look great and the reviews at Midway all sound good, including one installation on a 50 BMG.

One thing that you probably already know, rings like the Badger Ordnance are steel while the Burris Xtreme are aluminum. I'm not an expert with 50s so I don't know if that will matter. The Burris website sounds good:

"Xtreme Tactical 30mm Rings
The massive strength of a wide 6-screw ring is combined with lightweight yet thick cross section aluminum to provide a reliable return-to-zero ultra strong mounting system for Picatinny-style rails. Available in four heights from 1/4" to 1", these Xtreme Tactical Rings are ready for the heaviest of scopes, massive recoil, and severe usage."

Back
Top Bottom