Optimized pistol for SS division

I don't get to practice as much as I want, I intend to add more dry-fire, but would like to optimize my gear, but I'm not sure what the real benefits of various competition guns are.

I own a SW1911 in .45, I've replaced trigger (twice), grips, various springs. I haven't been fooling with the recoil spring to optimize it for the load I use (I preferred the heavier .45 ammo, but I've only been finding the lighter one). Other people have commented on the fact that it ejects a good 20' up and 30' away laterally, which I don't have a problem with a priori, but it implies maybe some springs and the ejector might need to be messed with, and people think I should mess with it to avoid that..

.I'm wondering if going single stack 9mm minor might be an advantage for my shooting ability - 2 more rounds per mag, and very easy to control.

What other legal things can benefit in the SS division? Does adding a particular flashlight cause some benefits, like one that's particularly heavy? Is there a flashlight (not a laser) that projects some kind of targetting thing.

I would add a techwell mag well, a solid guide rod and fiber optic front sight before I worried about gimicky flash lights which would would probably not be allowed if they projected any thing other than a legit beam of light. (Most 1911,s dont have a light rail) perhaps spend the flash light money on practice ammo or purchase lighter loaded compatition ammo if you don’t reload. I’m a fan of 9 mm 1911,s and depending on stage design (a lot of steel) the extra 2 rounds can be helpful but in a major match with 8 round arrays the major scoring of the 45 is an advantage.

Last edited:
Tuned the recoil spring/ FP stop and Mainspring to recoil impulse, not the load (unless it's not reliable). You want the front sight to snap right back where it started.
Good rough grips and a large magwell make a good difference.

Tuned the recoil spring/ FP stop and Mainspring to recoil impulse, not the load (unless it's not reliable). You want the front sight to snap right back where it started.
I never messed around with the mainspring with my DW PM9 for USPSA. I probably should have.
I did play around with recoil springs, add magwell, and add an extended slide release though. Also extra wide aggressive grips and arched MSH to fill my large hands better.

I never bothered getting a 1911 in 45 since I don’t reload 45 and I have a ton of components on hand for 9mm.
Now all I shoot is Production lol.

@SJan @IPSC_DRL I don't at all disagree, indeed, I implied as much with my very first sentence. But, it occurs to me to ask, isn't it a form of virtue signaling to bring it up?

Anyway - any opinion on why my SS ejects its brass a half mile away? Have you seen that before?

@SJan @IPSC_DRL I don't at all disagree, indeed, I implied as much with my very first sentence. But, it occurs to me to ask, isn't it a form of virtue signaling to bring it up?

Anyway - any opinion on why my SS ejects its brass a half mile away? Have you seen that before?
Yes, it is virtue signaling, and only because you brought it up will I go on. Several people who are better shooters than you have generously given you help, advice, tips, or coaching, either here on NES or in person during matches and practice sessions regarding both your equipment and your techniques. It is apparent that you do not take unsolicited advice well, and even receive it as a personal attack. It seems you only want very specific questions answered very specifically. I enjoy shooting and I enjoy helping and seeing others progress in the sport, so I will offer further comments, I don't care how you accept my comments, maybe someone else reading will appreciate

you said you replaced various springs but haven't fooled with the recoil spring.
What springs have you replaced? Do you know what weight they are?

Like Supermoto said, there are several parts working together as a system to manage recoil impulse and as a result how the empties eject. If I remember correctly he has completely worn out a S&W 1911 and can offer personal experiences as to what to look for as the gun damages itself.

(On this very particular subject, I don't recall any specific advice other than 'something needs to be fixed'. It's possible someone gave me the answer in an actionable form - "you need a new "X" - and I didn't recognize it at the time, or simply don't remember it now. Other than a couple weeks ago, I think it's been over a year since I shot SS at a match. As for other advice, sometimes it's great or well-intended and I nod and say thanks, and other times it's actually just a form of needling, and I'm not going to pretend like I can't tell the difference.)
you said you replaced various springs but haven't fooled with the recoil spring.
What springs have you replaced? Do you know what weight they are?

Sear springs I've switched out several times, I've gone back and forth from factory to a Clark Custom, to an EGW evolved to the one with the dimples on it (I forget the name, I think it was also an EGW) - I'd have to take it down further to see what's in there right now. I know the firing pin return spring is "Extra Power". I want to say the mainspring is stock, although it's possible I switched it out - I haven't taken it down to that level in a long while.

If I had to characterize the gun, I'd say the action remains pretty stiff after only ~2k rounds I've put through it in the past 3ish years I've had it, and the hammer feels (and has always felt) pretty heavy - enough so these days I have taken to cocking it with my thumb instead of using the slide when I go to Make Ready, or even when I'm taking it down. I'd grant that that seems a bit excessive.

That said, it's pretty reliable, except for weird, one-off stuff: the one time when the front sight ejected itself at the end of a steel challenge match, and the couple of times the plunger tube worked itself loose (the factory one happened at a match, my first replacement came loose after a day's practice, then I bought a different one and a new staking tool and that has remained solid since).

In my original post, I also asked about SS minor.

The prototypical advice for revolver is to go minor and spend the additional time in accuracy, rather than take an extra ~1/4ths as many reloads (6 shot major versus 8 shot minor).

It's curious that similar advice doesn't apply to SS, since it would be about an extra 1/5th as many reloads (8 shot major versus 10 shot minor - or really, +1 on both since you can barney mag).

Does the difference in advice come down to the fact that SS in major is perceived easier to shoot than Revo in major?

Have rubber grips and magwell, messing about with the springs will, indeed, probably end up being the right answer. May I ask what you use?

Last edited:
The prototypical advice for revolver is to go minor and spend the additional time in accuracy, rather than take an extra ~1/4ths as many reloads (6 shot major versus 8 shot minor).
That is because a stage design rule is to not require more than 8 scoring hits required from one location or view. 8 has a significant advantage over 6 (even if the same PF) on almost any stage. More than 8 may be available, but not required.
It's curious that similar advice doesn't apply to SS, since it would be about an extra 1/5th as many reloads (8 shot major versus 10 shot minor - or really, +1 on both since you can barney mag).
Again, 8 is the magic number. 10 is only considered to be better than 8 if the array requires 7 or more and includes steel. If there is no steel in an array of 8 or less, major PF is (obviously) better. Write a formula for that
Does the difference in advice come down to the fact that SS in major is perceived easier to shoot than Revo in major?
not really. its just the rounds available.

Revolver division was originally only 6 rounds. Major or minor. When 8 minor was allowed, major 6 went the way of the dodo bird.

There is great discussion about SS major vs minor. It really comes down each stage individually, and each match as a sum of its stages. Minor often has it's advantages when in the hands of a shooter who sends make up shots, or who does not respect steel -but that may be a product because of itself. FWIW SS nationals has never been won with Minor.

Have rubber grips and magwell, messing about with the springs will, indeed, probably end up being the right answer. May I ask what you use?

I believe I used a 16lbs spring, 17 mainspring with a well tapered fire pin plate.

For minor vs major. I prefer minor SS. While stage can't require more than 8 shots for a location, they really are built around a 10 round mindset because of the prevalence of production.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom