• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Orange Rant

During deer season I wear it in NH because there are a lot of hunters out there. I have no idea if they're squared away of dumb-asses. So to be on the safe side I wear orange. I don't think it should be mandated. After deer season I cammo head to toe for coyote huning.

Shot Gun Season is the worst time of the year for us gun owners...

There are way to many idiots that only handle a gun for these few weeks (or so) of the year and most times are to drunk to even know what they are doing let alone know what they are shooting at...

I stopped hunting during Shot Gun Season because of being shot at and knowing a friend that went to get the dear he shot only to run into a group of drunks at his dear and them pointing their guns at him saying "No this is our dear"...

I now have my own land (or friends land) that I can hunt on that no one else is on...

Well, when I saw the title of this thread, i thought it was going to be a rant about oranges (didn't see it was in the hunting sub-forum) but since I'm here and have taken the time to read the posts, I'm going to rant about my gripe with oranges.

Bought a box of clementines... damn things are chock full of seeds... /
Got kids?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the OP knows how many years men have hunted deer with firearms in this country without having to wear orange.

Some people love sucking on that nanny-state teet, and wouldn't know what to do without it.

I'm not saying i like the idea of having to wear orange...it think it sucks, but it is REQUIRED by the CMR during deer shotgun season; this asswat was breaking the law.

I honestly see good.reason to where blaze orange.when driving deer... if your in the woods and guys may be driving deer you should have orange on.... However should is what I said it shouldn't be a law....If you and and your group of.friends feel its a good idea to drive deer in camp more power to you....less people in the woods.next year. If you want to drive your motorcycle without a helmet at 185 MPH as long as the only thing you run into a nonliving thing... that's what makes America great.... Morons are free to be morons are free to be morons big government is starting to stop evaluation and survival of the fittest

You don't need orange to drive deer either. I hunt upstate NY with a bunch of old timers. They've been driving deer for their whole lives. I've been hunting with them for the last 30 years or so. Some wear red plaid. Others wear camo coats, jeans whatever. We've killed a lot of deer and In 30 years only 4 people have died. Although sadly I expect that number to increase. A lot of those guys are in their 80's.

I honestly see good.reason to where blaze orange.when driving deer... if your in the woods and guys may be driving deer you should have orange on.... However should is what I said it shouldn't be a law....If you and and your group of.friends feel its a good idea to drive deer in camp more power to you....less people in the woods.next year. If you want to drive your motorcycle without a helmet at 185 MPH as long as the only thing you run into a nonliving thing... that's what makes America great.... Morons are free to be morons are free to be morons big government is starting to stop evaluation and survival of the fittest

How is it "sucking on that nanny-state teet" if you want to have a better chance of being seen to NOT be a deer out in the woods? Please explain the logic behind your statement.

I wear orange to and from my stand and take it off when I am in my stand. I do this because I believe it may make me safer. But, I don't believe that the state should be telling hunters what they must wear to keep them safe. Safety is not the responsibility of the state. It is the responsibility of the individual.

And, the next individual may not believe that the orange makes them safer. They may believe that orange laws make them less safe because other hunters will shoot at sound if they do not see orange and they expect to see orange because their state mandates it. I respect that, and recognize that it is not my role to tell them how to hunt.

I wear a helmet on my motorcycle. But, I respect (although for me I don't agree) when other bikers feel less safe with a helmet on. And, therefore I don't feel that it is for the state to decide or mandate.

So, when I see a hunter criticizing another hunter for not wearing orange in their stand I think that person has lived in the nanny state too long and doesn't understand freedom. I say the same thing when I see someone support the seatbelt or helmet laws.

By the way, I live in a state without helmet or orange laws.

What if we just made a law that all the deer have to wear orange? Then we'd know if we were shooting at a fellow hunter or a deer plus it'd be easier to find a deer. Win win for everyone!

I'm not saying i like the idea of having to wear orange...it think it sucks, but it is REQUIRED by the CMR during deer shotgun season; this asswat was breaking the law.

I guess the difference between you and I is that if I see someone breaking a law that I don't support, I don't consider them an asshat. I consider them a freedom-loving man with some integrity and a backbone.

The people I consider asshats are the ones that make the laws that I don't support. And, I don't follow laws I don't support. So, I guess you'd call me an asshat too. But, I've come to expect that notion from MA residents.

I guess the difference between you and I is that if I see someone breaking a law that I don't support, I don't consider them an asshat. I consider them a freedom-loving man with some integrity and a backbone.

The people I consider asshats are the ones that make the laws that I don't support. And, I don't follow laws I don't support. So, I guess you'd call me an asshat too. But, I've come to expect that notion from MA residents.

If you choose to disregard the law, that's your choice, but you run the risk of the concequences. But i have to disagree with your view on integrity...that would be would be wearing the orange because it's required by law, regardless of you opinion of the law.

As i said in my first post; i left the guy alone when he was in his stand. I didn't say anything to him until i ran into him a second time, this time on my families land that i knew he was not given permission to hunt on.

You don't need orange to drive deer either. I hunt upstate NY with a bunch of old timers. They've been driving deer for their whole lives. I've been hunting with them for the last 30 years or so. Some wear red plaid. Others wear camo coats, jeans whatever. We've killed a lot of deer and In 30 years only 4 people have died. Although sadly I expect that number to increase. A lot of those guys are in their 80's.

I'm assuming you just worded that poorly and have not had four people die as a result of driving deer in the past 30 years??

If you choose to disregard the law, that's your choice, but you run the risk of the concequences.

I can sleep more comfortably knowing that fact, than knowing that I am following laws that I do not believe in.

Does MA require a hunter to wear orange even in their stand?

I can sleep more comfortably knowing that fact, than knowing that I am following laws that I do not believe in.

Yep. Unless they're duck hunting from a boat or blind.

(n) During the shotgun deer season, a person hunting deer, migratory game birds, or coyote or entering the fields, woodlands, or wetlands of the state for the purpose of hunting deer, migratory game birds, or coyote shall wear in a conspicuous manner on his or her chest, back and head, a minimum of 500 square inches of clothing or material of a hunter orange color as defined by the Director pursuant to 321 CMR 3.01(2), except for persons hunting waterfowl from within a blind or a boat. During the special seasons for paraplegics and primitive firearms, a person hunting deer or entering the fields or woodlands of the state with the intent to hunt deer, including a person hunting deer by means of a bow and arrow, shall wear on his or her head, chest, and back a minimum of 500 square inches of clothing or material of a hunter orange color as defined in 321 CMR 3.01(2).

Also for me the fines/penalties are enough to keep me from displaying that type civil disobedience.

Penalties: License revoked for one year in addition to other penalties; fines of up to $1,000, restitutions, and /or 1 year in jail. Careless and negligent use of firearms; fines of up to $500 and /or 6 months imprisonment and loss of license for 5 years. http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/hunting-prohibitions/

While pheasant hunting last weekend, I came to the realization that I did not have an orange hat. I figured that if someone mistook a tall fat guy in a Gamehide Flusher vest for a pheasant, then I likely wasn't going to get hit anyway...Guess what happened? The world kept turning - despite 'the law'. I grew up deer hunting with my grandfather in and around the swamps and forests of Otis and Blanford. When I was 10, my outfit was: Woolrich black and red checked hunting coat, duck pants, Sorel boots and an orange leather hat...Not much has changed - except the size...

Just don't use white toilet paper and apply camo ass paint. Orange, blah.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

To me orange is not a big deal. I wear it just to keep me seen by other hunters. Will it keep me safe from an idiot? I believe it might. Who knows. If a guy is stupid enough anything can happen.

I also walk into my stand in the dark with a headlamp as well. Also to let some one know its not a deer. Many times during full moon i woulnt need a headlight but i use it anyway.

I do NOT think it should be mandatory or any penalties for not wearing Orange It should not be a law.

Mandatory antler restrictions probably keep people safer.

i will quit hunting before i wear orange on my own property. bird hunting on state land is one thing, but i will NEVER wear orange on my place.

[laugh2]
And I bet you've never driven faster than the speed limit or had a beer before you turned the legal drinking age? [rolleyes]
I think you should have titled/started this thread bitching about some guy hunting on your land without permission... you would have gotten more sympathy. [rofl]

I wear a full suit of orange,head to toe.I do it for kicks,I look like I'm heading to a chemical spill or a meeting at the orange ninja society.

You should see the looks I get at the backwoods country stores lol

Back
Top Bottom