• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ordering parts

I’m looking to purchase AR15 parts online,

I’m NOT looking for where or how to buy them, my only question is, is it legal to purchase completed upper receivers online, or any parts for that matter.
I know for a lower receiver you can’t. Just need a simple answer lol I search all over google and could find a solid answer. Thanks in advance

I’m looking to purchase AR15 parts online,

I’m NOT looking for where or how to buy them, my only question is, is it legal to purchase completed upper receivers online, or any parts for that matter.
I know for a lower receiver you can’t. Just need a simple answer lol I search all over google and could find a solid answer. Thanks in advance
Yes. For the AR15, the ATF has determined that the lower is the receiver. So it is the lower that has the serial number. The uppers are just parts, so even completed uppers can be freely sold without telling anyone.

One caveat is that if you are buying an upper to put on a post-ban lower, that it needs to either have no barrel threads or a pinned and welded muzzle brake (not a flash hider). Also make sure that you obey the minimum barrel length requirement to avoid creating a short-barreled rifle (which could result in becoming a guest at Club Fed).

Yes. For the AR15, the ATF has determined that the lower is the receiver. So it is the lower that has the serial number. The uppers are just parts, so even completed uppers can be freely sold without telling anyone.

One caveat is that if you are buying an upper to put on a post-ban lower, that it needs to either have no barrel threads or a pinned and welded muzzle brake (not a flash hider). Also make sure that you obey the minimum barrel length requirement to avoid creating a short-barreled rifle (which could result in becoming a guest at Club Fed).
Prob the best answer I’ve gotten. Straight to the point and clear. I’m very new to all this. New to this group and new to the AR world. I recently ask the same exact question word for word on Reddit and got permanently banned lol but thanks for the info I’ll take advantage of the upper receiver on sale aha now I just gotta find a good website that will ship a complete upper receiver to mass 😅

Prob the best answer I’ve gotten. Straight to the point and clear. I’m very new to all this. New to this group and new to the AR world. I recently ask the same exact question word for word on Reddit and got permanently banned lol but thanks for the info I’ll take advantage of the upper receiver on sale aha now I just gotta find a good website that will ship a complete upper receiver to mass 😅
You can easily find that using the search function here 😉

Or just use a fixed stock rather than pinning an adjustable stock. The fixed stock will be stronger and less likely to wobble
What am I limited to when it comes to having a pre ban lower & post ban lower? It’s all mad confusing.
Just wanna be compliant with the Massachusetts laws 😭

I’m new here still trying to learn how to navigate thanks
Seriously though - if you search some terms you may not only find your answer you will also read a lot of discussions on the same/similar topic. I'm not saying it to be a smart ass. I use it all the time. I decided to buy a new carry belt today and searched to find discussions about it already. Nothing wrong with asking questions at all just meaning you may find the answer you are looking for already answered quicker.

Here's a good thread

What am I limited to when it comes to having a pre ban lower & post ban lower? It’s all mad confusing.
Just wanna be compliant with the Massachusetts laws 😭
You have to separate federal law from state law.

Under state law, your pre-ban AR can have a collapsing or folding stock and anything you want on the muzzle (threaded with thread protector, or muzzle brake, or flash hider). On your post-ban AR, you are limited by the number of evil features. Most people keep a pistol grip on their post-ban ARs, so that means you can't have a threaded barrel, a flash hider, or a folding or collapsible stock. You can have a muzzle break, but it must be permanently fixed (typically pinned and welded).

Under federal law, you have to be aware of the NFA. Your barrel can't be shorter than 16", otherwise you have created a short barrel rifle. If you want to use a 14.5" barrel, then you typically pin and weld a flashhider or muzzle break that is more than 1.5" long. You also have to ensure that the overall length is greater than 26". You don't have to worry about evil features under federal law, as the old national assault weapons ban law is no longer in effect.

lol, by any chance did you ask this question on the MAguns reddit? I ask because the mod or guy who runs it is a nutcase. Check out the BetterMAguns on reddit, run by a different Mod that is not a lunatic. By and far NES has the best info out there for folks from MA and the userbase is some of the nicest and most helpful people you will ever meet.

Should just merge this with OP’s other thread which I think already answered this and some other questions.

Edit: My mistake. Looks like it was someone else’s thread.

Last edited:
Should just merge this with OP’s other thread which I think already answered this and some other questions.

Edit: My mistake. Looks like it was someone else’s thread.
It was someone else's thread that he hijacked with questions then ignored the replies I guess.

Back
Top Bottom