Ossipee Lake [NH]

My family is coming up to stay with us later this month and a family member really wants to check out Ossipee Lake up near Conrad. He's very big into fishing but from the south and I just wanted to see if anyone from around there could offer some good info or tips. I'm more of a gun guy and not much into fishing but I'll be hanging out drinking beer trying to escape the wife etc. Thanks!

He will be disappointed by the size of the fish. Short season to grow as opposed to the nonsters down south. That's all.

He will be disappointed by the size of the fish. Short season to grow as opposed to the nonsters down south. That's all.

Thanks for the info. He's been watching some YouTube videos on the lake so far. He does off shore salt water fishing / manatee / scallop tours in Florida during the year (season dependent) and I don't think it is all about the size but more about catching a different sort of fish etc. Any tips on bait or fishing spots would be appreciated!

What part of the South? If from somewhere further South, trout fishing might be interesting- especially brook trout. If from TN or NC, he may have had his fill of trout.

A good local guide can be awesome but obviously will cost some bucks. Another great option is to find a good local fishing shop and buy some of the local favorite lures and/or bait and get some advice for the lake.

The fishing isn't very good at lake ossipee. But is a nice lake for recreation skiing wakeboarding. My family had a house up there till about 10 years ago we jumped the border to maine on lake arrowhead down stream on the ossipee river one of the top bass lakes in the north east

The fishing isn't very good at lake ossipee. But is a nice lake for recreation skiing wakeboarding. My family had a house up there till about 10 years ago we jumped the border to maine on lake arrowhead down stream on the ossipee river one of the top bass lakes in the north east

Ah that's too bad. We were originally slated for Maine but they have a mandatory 14 day quarentine period for anyone coming from outside the state (even seasonal residents) punishable by a $1k fine or jail time (not currently enforced but still) and so we had to change plans.

Can you recommend any other good fishing spots in the area? He's a Floridian so trout isn't big down there so we might do that but any fishing is good fishing if you know what I mean. Like I said above, he does guide fishing in salt water but it's always fun changing it up and we're looking for any tips for the area so we aren't starting from ground zero. We will hit the bait shops and ask around of course but any places to start is always helpful.

Take the half hour drive from Ossipee to Lake Winnipesaukee. Amazing fishing there. Can catch everything from fat large mouths to monster salmon/lake trout/rainbow trout

Ah that's too bad. We were originally slated for Maine but they have a mandatory 14 day quarentine period for anyone coming from outside the state (even seasonal residents) punishable by a $1k fine or jail time (not currently enforced but still) and so we had to change plans.

Can you recommend any other good fishing spots in the area? He's a Floridian so trout isn't big down there so we might do that but any fishing is good fishing if you know what I mean. Like I said above, he does guide fishing in salt water but it's always fun changing it up and we're looking for any tips for the area so we aren't starting from ground zero. We will hit the bait shops and ask around of course but any places to start is always helpful.
Maine just "revised" that requirement. Feel free to visit and if you have to tell tall tales about quarantining at home then tell them.

Were are you staying on the lake and how are you going to fish it large boat, canoe not very accessible by shore. I would fish bear camp river. Over by westward shores across from totem pole. Next spot main lake would be I think its red brook there is a boat launch on it from 153. Kind of a tough area with a lot of dead fall may have changed now. This brings you out to long sands which is east side of lake. If you go through s curve from main lake head north through broad bay too lower danforth then upper danforth there is a small river that is north east if in canoe there is a small beaver pond there will be several dams you have to Portage they have been there 50 plus years from wh as t my dad tells me. Besides that there was some bass flats that were hit or miss in berry and levit bays. Dont know how its be changed been 10 years since I fished it. Did pull a large northern pike over by totem pole in the lily's when I was a kid

Pea porridge pond near Conway has some rainbow and brown trout. At least it did 8-10 years ago when I was ice fishing up there we would catch a ton of them. If he's into a different species that may be a good spot. It's electric motor only though.

Last edited:
Whoops - what's a few consonants between friends!

Take the half hour drive from Ossipee to Lake Winnipesaukee. Amazing fishing there. Can catch everything from fat large mouths to monster salmon/lake trout/rainbow trout

Ossipee lake is already about 30 minutes south of where we are staying but we will try and check it out, thanks!

Maine just "revised" that requirement. Feel free to visit and if you have to tell tall tales about quarantining at home then tell them.

Yeah I saw that but we already made reservations so it is too late for Maine. I think they waited a little too long if they're trying to capture tourists. Maine and Alaska are both kinda screwed this tourist season. They are also looking for a clean coronavirus test as part of their entry condition which adds on to cost and difficulty.

Were are you staying on the lake and how are you going to fish it large boat, canoe not very accessible by shore. I would fish bear camp river. Over by westward shores across from totem pole. Next spot main lake would be I think its red brook there is a boat launch on it from 153. Kind of a tough area with a lot of dead fall may have changed now. This brings you out to long sands which is east side of lake. If you go through s curve from main lake head north through broad bay too lower danforth then upper danforth there is a small river that is north east if in canoe there is a small beaver pond there will be several dams you have to Portage they have been there 50 plus years from wh as t my dad tells me. Besides that there was some bass flats that were hit or miss in berry and levit bays. Dont know how its be changed been 10 years since I fished it. Did pull a large northern pike over by totem pole in the lily's when I was a kid

Good info, thanks. No boat currently - just shore fishing so may have to adjust fires (or borrow a boat lol).

Back
Top Bottom